• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IDLE19

BOG Approves realignment, Detroit to the East in 2013/14.

Rate this topic

This is awesome, 3 original 6 teams in one division is sweet. Not in to mention I live in port hope, an hour from Toronto & 3.5 from ottawa!! Hopefully Datsyuk doesn't take too much "punishment" from those pesky eastern teams...

For those interested, let's see where the Wings would sit in their new 8-team division at the moment:

1. Montreal - 40pts

2. Boston - 37pts

3. Ottawa - 32pts

4. Toronto - 31pts

5. Detroit - 29pts

6. Tampa Bay - 23pts

7. Buffalo - 23pts

8. Florida - 20pts

With the other eastern division only having 3 teams with more points than TO and DET, they would grab the remaining "Wild Card" positions, with the first-round playoff matchups looking like:

Montreal vs. Detroit (Higher pts Divison leader vs. Lowest Wild Card)

Pittsburgh vs. Toronto (Lower pts Division leader vs. Higher Wild Card)

Carolina vs. New Jersey (2 vs. 3 of Division D)

Boston vs. Ottawa (2 vs. 3 of Division C)

This may get interesting/confusing :)

This is awesome, 3 original 6 teams in one division is sweet. Not in to mention I live in port hope, an hour from Toronto & 3.5 from ottawa!! Hopefully Datsyuk doesn't take too much "punishment" from those pesky eastern teams...

Isn't it 4 original 6 teams? Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Boston

Now the Red Wings have an excuse to get grittier and tougher...

Does anyone think this whole "wildcard" thing is stupid? Why not make it where the top 4 teams in each division face each other, and then the division winners decide the finals. Having 4 more teams make the playoffs is going to mean less deadline sellers, which equates to much more overpayment in trades. If you thought a 1st for Quincey/Guastad was robbery, you haven't seen anything yet...

I just wish we could play more games against the other division in the conference. Instead of 38 games against teams in your division, how about 30 in your division, 24 against the other teams in the conference, and 28 (14x2) against the other Conference for more variety? I still think almost half your games against 7 teams, and two best of 7 series within your own division in the playoffs is way too many :zzz:

Also all those Western Conference games are going to have horrible attendance, especially Division A.

Edit: Ok, I just saw this article about how the games are going to be played. My suggestion about 30, 28, 24 games is in there and the wild cards could switch things up a bit for the playoffs, so I'm ok with it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-realignment-now-official-wild-card-playoffs-four-162852277--nhl.html

Edited by Barrie

I really wish they had swapped Chi for TBL/FLA and NYR for Buf/TBL/FLA. Have all O6 in one division.

The 2 Florida teams are closer the teams left in division B that it wouldn't have been a huge deal.

But at least Det went east!

Going to be a very strange and unusual transition. The long and rich history of the Wings being in the West, the past rivalries, a lot of the history halts into a new era. Who will be our new rivals? How will we fare in an entirely new conference?

This is a rare experience for sports fans and i'm for one quite excited about it and what the future may hold for us. No more Blackhawks, Predators, Avalanche, Sharks, but now we step in with the likes of the Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, and Devils. Not only does it open up our schedule to an entirely new set of games, but opens the road for more future aquisitions with teams in the West that used to be in our conference where we may not have dealt with before (if we ever make a trade again).

This has been the right move for a long time and i'm glad to see it finally coming to light. Here's to many successful years for the Wings, and many fights between Tootoo and Neil, Ott, Marchand, Hartnell, etc.

Goodbye Detroit Red Wings,It has been fun playing in the same division as the 12 time stanley champions,Best of luck in the eastern conference :bye1:

wow! thanks a lot! good luck with the franchise in Nashville, it'll probably be tougher business now without Wings games driving up media and fans.

on the side note: looking at the imparity of conferences and reading Bettman's statement (that this realignment is agreed for three years because no expansion is planned in this period) I'm willing to bet there will be a Seattle team joining division A in 2016 and probably some Salt Like City / Las Vegas to division B...

good to see the move finally happening. curious to see what it means to current roster...

Goodbye Detroit Red Wings,It has been fun playing in the same division as the 12 time stanley champions,Best of luck in the eastern conference :bye1:

Thanks a bunch!

No offense intended, but we won't miss the West. At all. Best of luck to the Preds too.

Thanks a bunch!

No offense intended, but we won't miss the West. At all. Best of luck to the Preds too.

I am not offended at all,But will miss ya'll guys in the west.The Preds-Wings games in Nashville were the best ones to attend

Maybe when hell freezes over the wings and preds may meet each other in the stanely cup finals

Gonna try to get my twin brother up to Detroit for a game,since he is big Red Wings fan,him and his wife before they got married gave each matching Red Wings jerseys with mr and mrs and 2012(year they got married) on the back

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState

As someone who attends games in Nashville, this statement isn't very true anymore.

When I first started going to Nashville for games in the early 2000s, it was easily a sea of Red and White fans - better than 75% most times.

Fast forward to the games I've attended in the last few years and the percentages have almost completely flip-flopped. It's not unusual to see less than 30% DRW fans. (granted, not everyone that attends games does so in their team's colors, but you can usually tell who most people are rooting for)

Wings fans used to be able to drown out any Let's Go Predators chants by Chanting Let's GO Red Wings... not so much anymore.

And to all that, I say, good for them! Having their own fans outnumber their (arguably) biggest rival's fans is a badge of honor that depicts the growth of the fan base.

wow! thanks a lot! good luck with the franchise in Nashville, it'll probably be tougher business now without Wings games driving up media and fans.

As someone who attends games in Nashville, this statement isn't very true anymore.

When I first started going to Nashville for games in the early 2000s, it was easily a sea of Red and White fans - better than 75% most times.

Fast forward to the games I've attended in the last few years and the percentages have almost completely flip-flopped. It's not unusual to see less than 30% DRW fans. (granted, not everyone that attends games does so in their team's colors, but you can usually tell who most people are rooting for)

Wings fans used to be able to drown out any Let's Go Predators chants by Chanting Let's GO Red Wings... not so much anymore.

And to all that, I say, good for them! Having their own fans outnumber their (arguably) biggest rival's fans is a badge of honor that depicts the growth of the fan base.

The Preds had 25 sellouts last season,only of three 3 of the 25 were against the wings