Photo
- - - - -

BOG Approves realignment, Detroit to the East in 2013/14.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Most of those players aren't that contemporary, though.  

A lot of casual sports fans around America (believe it or not) don't know several of those names you listed above.  

I don't doubt it, but they are still better known names, and more easily identifiable than Norris, Smythe, Patrick and Adams.  And why should those 4 guys get a division, and a trophy named after them - spread the love!

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm all for history and tradition, but no.  Confusing even for the hockey fan, even worse for the casual fan.  At least make them more contemporary - Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Hull (Bobby).  Gives you an all-time great from a team in each division.

Just say NO to Lemieux.

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

I really hate division seeding. I know it promotes rivalries but it means we will always play the same teams in the first round.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

There should be a division just for the Lightning.and Panthers.

All of their games would be against each other.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'd be surprised it they gave it names that had anything to do with hockey traditions.  Bettman is all about making the game easier to understand and more generic.  So I'm guessing more like West, Central, etc.  

Though they'll need to come up with something creative to explain the idiocy of Tampa and the Panthers being in the same division as Ottawa and Montreal instead of with Carolina. 

#46 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

There just wasn't going to be a perfect solution that was going to make every team and fan happy.  I think the NHL did a respectable job with this plan.  I'll miss the Central Division games with the Blues and Blackhawks, but otherwise, I think it's something new and different that will give an added flavor to next season at a time when we can use something new and different.  I particularly like the fact that there will be much fewer later games.  Can't tolerate being up to 1am to watch a hockey game like I used to!  I'm also hoping that the Wings switch to 7pm start times like all the other Eastern teams have.  The 7:38 start times, are fine if you're home watching, but going down to the games it got to be a bit much.  Trying to get out of the concourse, battle the traffic in the parking garage and the freeways and getting home to the far western suburbs made for a late night. 

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

If HBO were to continue with the "24/7" series (crosses fingers) that leads up to the Winter Classic it'll be more interesting now that the Wings/Leafs are in the same division.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Happy that Detroit will be in the east next year. However, we're gonna need to get significantly harder to play against over the offseason in order to play against teams like Boston and Philadelphia.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 17 March 2013 - 11:45 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#49 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Happy that Detroit will be in the east next year. However, we're gonna need to get significantly harder to play against over the offseason in order to play against teams like Boston and Philadelphia.

Boston yes, Philly no. I would be more worried about the Leafs bigger guys than Philly. Philly just has the reputation of that kind of team but they aren't big or scary anymore.

#50 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'd be surprised it they gave it names that had anything to do with hockey traditions.  Bettman is all about making the game easier to understand and more generic.  So I'm guessing more like West, Central, etc.  

Though they'll need to come up with something creative to explain the idiocy of Tampa and the Panthers being in the same division as Ottawa and Montreal instead of with Carolina. 

I could just smell the NHL selling out hard and giving the divisions awesome corporate names.  Tampax, Charmin, Huggies and Vagasil would go really good with half the arena names.  I want royalties for my idea.

Or we can be even more injured than usual when our guys get murdered along the boards.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#51 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I could just smell the NHL selling out hard and giving the divisions awesome corporate names.  Tampax, Charmin, Huggies and Vagasil would go really good with half the arena names.  I want royalties for my idea.

Or we can be even more injured than usual when our guys get murdered along the boards.

huggies for pittsburgh :)

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Regarding naming the division (although they will probably go with standard Southeast, Central, etc...) I think they should be traditional and name them after great pioneers of the NHL....and I don't mean Norris, Smythe et al.  I mean Like Lafleur, Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Richard, Bowman, Brooks....

...anyone of those I would be fine with. But we will be stuck with Central, Northeast, etc...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Regarding naming the division (although they will probably go with standard Southeast, Central, etc...) I think they should be traditional and name them after great pioneers of the NHL....and I don't mean Norris, Smythe et al.  I mean Like Lafleur, Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Richard, Bowman, Brooks....

...anyone of those I would be fine with. But we will be stuck with Central, Northeast, etc...

Naming divisions after alltime greats would just make too much sense.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#54 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

So I've seen people come up with some crazy statistics on these boards, so I've been wondering if anyone can tell me how we've faired playing against these eastern teams in the past. I've been to a few Bruins games and we won both times.

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I wonder if the League will try to revive the old Detroit v. Montreal rivalry; Saturday night in Montreal, followed by Sunday night in Detroit.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#56 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Boston yes, Philly no. I would be more worried about the Leafs bigger guys than Philly. Philly just has the reputation of that kind of team but they aren't big or scary anymore.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I agree that Philly isn't the biggest and meanest team in the league anymore. However, they're not pushovers. Scott Hartnell plays a physical style. Wayne Simmonds is a legitimate power forward. The Schenn brothers are pretty physical. Zac Rinaldo hits like a truck and is more than willing to drop the gloves. Nicklas Grossman is gritty on their blueline. Again, they're not the meanest team, but they're by no means an easy team to play against.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 19 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#57 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

I wonder if the League will try to revive the old Detroit v. Montreal rivalry; Saturday night in Montreal, followed by Sunday night in Detroit.

I hate manufactured rivalries, but we'll definitely be on CBC saturdays vs MTL a whole lot now. They won't do a Sunday rematch because only NBC does matinee Sunday games, and it'll be vs Boston almost all the time since they don't show canadian teams.

Edited by irishock, 19 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.

bringit.jpg

#58 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

I think the whole size issues have been totally overblown. 

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think the whole size issues have been totally overblown. 

I think the snarl issue is legitimate, though.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

I would love to see conference-only scheduling.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.