Photo
- - - - -

BOG Approves realignment, Detroit to the East in 2013/14.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I see my light come shining

From the West unto the East

Don't Toews me, bro!

#62 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I hate manufactured rivalries...

Detroit v. Montreal is far being a "manuafactured rivalry"; during the period from 1948-49 through 1959-60, Detroit won eight League championships (seven in a row) and four Stanley Cups while Montreal won the Cup five straight times, facing each other in the Cup final three times. i know, I know...there were only six teams!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#63 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I remember part of last year's proposal included re-seeding the four division winners after the first two rounds of the playoffs so that the Stanley Cup Final had more possibilities (East vs East, West vs West, etc).  Does anybody know if that will be the case under the new realignment?  If so, with the role of the wild card slotting a team into another division's playoffs, it would then be possible to have a Stanley Cup Final from within a division (for example, Montreal vs Detroit).  

#64 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I remember part of last year's proposal included re-seeding the four division winners after the first two rounds of the playoffs so that the Stanley Cup Final had more possibilities (East vs East, West vs West, etc).  Does anybody know if that will be the case under the new realignment?  If so, with the role of the wild card slotting a team into another division's playoffs, it would then be possible to have a Stanley Cup Final from within a division (for example, Montreal vs Detroit).  

Last I checked, that is how they're working it. The wildcards compete and then the winner goes to the other conference for the playoffs to even things out. So yes, you would be right and there could be a final with two teams being from the East.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#65 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Mo' playoffs = Mo' money.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#66 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Last I checked, that is how they're working it. The wildcards compete and then the winner goes to the other conference for the playoffs to even things out. So yes, you would be right and there could be a final with two teams being from the East.

Cup finals will still be East vs West. The two 8-team divisions are the Eastern Conference, the two 7-teams are the Western.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series.

The winners of the conference championships advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

I haven't seen it anywhere, but I assume teams will be reseeded for the second round, as it's possible to have 3 winners from one division and just 1 from the other.

Based on the standings now, the playoffs would be:

East

Pittsburgh vs Detroit

Montreal vs Toronto

Boston vs Ottawa

New Jersey vs Carolina

West

Chicago vs Dallas

Anaheim vs San Jose

Minnesota vs St.Louis

Vancouver vs LA