• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

An appeal to heaven

Rate this topic

Among all the sky is falling talk (and not undeservedly so I might add) A thought hit me, "so when do we pull a rabbit out of our hat?"

I mean after all we've done it for 20 plus years,....by blind luck almost we trip on, fall into or out right steal some guy, who becomes the guy for us and ensures this red wings train keeps rolling down the tracks.

The divine intervention of the Detroit Red wings is well documented.

We wanted Pat lafontaine in 83' but the islanders drafted him first,...we had to settle for some kid name Yzerman.

In 89 we drafted the best player of the last 20 or so years and probably the second best D man of all time (i'd argue first, but what do I know) 53rd overall. The flames drafted a finn 3 picks up Veli-Pekka Kautonen. Heard of him? Nope me neither.

We got Draper off the jets for a dollar

We got murphy from T.O. and the leafs faithful laughed hard, until he became an integral part of our D corps. '

Homer, Datsyuk, Zetterberg ect. ect.

We all know this stuff,..and yet the thing that really gets me about our team is how freaking resilient we are.

We survived two extremely high value D men having their careers ended and came out no worse for wear. Quick,..you tell me what would happen to a team like the blackhawks if Duncan Keith (God Forbid) had an accident like that?

We signed Uwe Krupp, we managed to lure Ozzie back (and win a cup with him for God's sake) after we kicked him to the curb,.....

Time and time again, just when you think this team is toast, something completely magically happens that ensures your ability to wear the winged wheel proudly for another decade or so.

I have no idea if we're out of magic beans. I couldn't tell you if we'll never challenge again or anything crazy like that. All I can go off is past experience and past experience tells me that this team will find away (and will probably do so at the expense of another team).

When I guess on what that magic may be i'm left with an interesting thought, say we do miss the playoffs this year......Remember that new rule? The one that says any team that misses the playoffs is first pick eligible? Paging Tinkerbell,....we need more fairy dust,..... With the first round pick in the 2013 draft, the Detroit red wings select,............

When I guess on what that magic may be i'm left with an interesting thought, say we do miss the playoffs this year......Remember that new rule? The one that says any team that misses the playoffs is first pick eligible? Paging Tinkerbell,....we need more fairy dust,..... With the first round pick in the 2013 draft, the Detroit red wings select,............

Some kid that they'll bury in the minors for 5 years?

maybe if the wings wouldnt be so loyal to veteran players (signing samuelsson when there was no need for it is a perfect example)we'd be in better position

while i think its smart to let our players develop i think the wings have to change there ways of thinking now that theres a cap

having brendan smith here while lidstrom was still here so he could learn from him would of been perfect ... too late now , if nyquist and/or tatar were here last year theyd be alot better players this season and so would the wings and maybe datsyuk wouldnt of played with bottom 6 players all season

its unfortunate it takes a ton of injuries to get the kids ice time when some were good enough to be here to learn from the veteran players while they are still here

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

After the last three games I keep expecting to wake up to the headline "Detroit pulls trigger on trade for..." and I keep getting disappointed. There are players to be had, I have no idea why this hasn't happened yet. Is there really that much to sort out? Figure out if Bert is going to be back ever. Figure out if Samuelsson is going to be back and contribute. Figure out if Nyquist and/or Tatar are in your long term plans. Figure out what picks you're willing to part with, and whether they can be replaced by shopping anyone on our team.

Does anyone really believe that Drew Stafford, or Smid, or Regehr couldn't be had right now? Furthermore, does anyone really believe that they wouldn't help us?

I'm at a loss.

After the last three games I keep expecting to wake up to the headline "Detroit pulls trigger on trade for..." and I keep getting disappointed. There are players to be had, I have no idea why this hasn't happened yet. Is there really that much to sort out? Figure out if Bert is going to be back ever. Figure out if Samuelsson is going to be back and contribute. Figure out if Nyquist and/or Tatar are in your long term plans. Figure out what picks you're willing to part with, and whether they can be replaced by shopping anyone on our team.

Does anyone really believe that Drew Stafford, or Smid, or Regehr couldn't be had right now? Furthermore, does anyone really believe that they wouldn't help us?

I'm at a loss.

I think Holland pinned it on it's head. There just isn't enough sellers right now because there isn't much separation. Like he said; Separation = Activity. If there's separation there is activity, if there isn't there isn't activity. Right now everyone feels they have a shot at the playoffs, if they get in, anything can happen, so why would they sell the house? We need to wait for teams to start dropping out of the playoff race, and then we would most likely start seeing stuff go down. The East is more separated but we're heading there next season, you really don't want to do business with someone within your conference/division unless it was the perfect trade to help both teams out. The West isn't separated by any means, it's a giant logjam with every team thinking they have a shot, so no one wants to sell right now and they would be more willing to deal with us.

I think Holland pinned it on it's head. There just isn't enough sellers right now because there isn't much separation. Like he said; Separation = Activity. If there's separation there is activity, if there isn't there isn't activity. Right now everyone feels they have a shot at the playoffs, if they get in, anything can happen, so why would they sell the house? We need to wait for teams to start dropping out of the playoff race, and then we would most likely start seeing stuff go down. The East is more separated but we're heading there next season, you really don't want to do business with someone within your conference/division unless it was the perfect trade to help both teams out. The West isn't separated by any means, it's a giant logjam with every team thinking they have a shot, so no one wants to sell right now and they would be more willing to deal with us.

I agree with you to an extent. There are definitely fewer sellers, but we're struggling now. If Holland is going to do something he's going to need to take advantage of the early market. As we get closer to the deadline the prices will increase, and we all know that KH is VERY reluctant to pay market value. Three weeks from now more players will be available, but the prices will be too rich for Holland's blood.

god no they wouldnt help

Right, no room on this team for big, tough, shutdown defensemen who excel on the PK, or a young power forward on Datsyuk's wing. Good call.

I love how people continue to rip on Sammy as a bad decision when he's been injured all year and hasn't had any kind of opportunity to play. Not one person here can tell me they wouldn't rather have Sammy on Datsyuk's wing right about now opposed to Abby or Cleary.

I'd take Smid here in a heartbeat, the guy is a force and shot blocking machine. We need more D guys like that, we have enough puck moving defensemen.

I'm at a loss.

Not that they wouldn't help, but they wouldn't help enough to matter.

You don't give up picks and prospects for middle-aged players just to slightly increase your chances of making the playoffs or the 2nd round. Especially for guys who may leave in the summer.

I don't see the problem. Once Bertuzzi and Samuelsson get back, we'll be back in playoff form. Cleary has played great with Datsyuk. Also, benching Tootoo was a solid move by Babs last night. Guys that play with energy on every shift are useless. I like our team, too. No moves need to be made right now. If anything, re-sign Filppula for $5 mil/year, since he's definitely earned it with his stellar play.

I agree with you to an extent. There are definitely fewer sellers, but we're struggling now. If Holland is going to do something he's going to need to take advantage of the early market. As we get closer to the deadline the prices will increase, and we all know that KH is VERY reluctant to pay market value. Three weeks from now more players will be available, but the prices will be too rich for Holland's blood.

Right, no room on this team for big, tough, shutdown defensemen who excel on the PK, or a young power forward on Datsyuk's wing. Good call.

regehr's been on the decline for years ... and stafford young power forward??? thats a good one , if he was that good buffalo wouldnt be shopping him around

regehr's been on the decline for years ... and stafford young power forward??? thats a good one , if he was that good buffalo wouldnt be shopping him around

Watch what would happen if Holland gave up a 1st rounder for Stafford and he still struggled on the Wings: Kyle Quincey 2.0

The guy would get bagged on harder than Samuelsson and Brett Lebda combined...

I don't see the problem. Once Bertuzzi and Samuelsson get back, we'll be back in playoff form. Cleary has played great with Datsyuk. Also, benching Tootoo was a solid move by Babs last night. Guys that play with energy on every shift are useless. I like our team, too. No moves need to be made right now. If anything, re-sign Filppula for $5 mil/year, since he's definitely earned it with his stellar play.

Thank goodness I'm smart enough to notice sarcasm when I see it. Bravo, sir. You just summed up my feelings about this team in one brilliant show of comedy.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

Watch what would happen if Holland gave up a 1st rounder for Stafford and he still struggled on the Wings: Kyle Quincey 2.0

The guy would get bagged on harder than Samuelsson and Brett Lebda combined...

man that 1st rd pick we gave up for quincey hurts , coulda had that russian goalie that tb took,malcolm subban,matteau or samuelsson

and i dont see quincey back here after next year ... ah well

man that 1st rd pick we gave up for quincey hurts , coulda had that russian goalie that tb took,malcolm subban,matteau or samuelsson

and i dont see quincey back here after next year ... ah well

It really doesn't bother me as much as it does to some on here. The Wings needed a Dman, and that was the going rate for a guy that on paper was top4 material. There's never any guarantee that a player you bring in is going to play up to expectations.

Not that they wouldn't help, but they wouldn't help enough to matter.

You don't give up picks and prospects for middle-aged players just to slightly increase your chances of making the playoffs or the 2nd round. Especially for guys who may leave in the summer.

Both Smid and Stafford are 27 years old. Stafford is under contract until 2015. Smid isn't, but only makes 2.25 million. He could easily be re-signed if wanted. Regehr is middle aged, but still very effective. Especially if we do make the playoffs, which I understand isn't a guarantee, of the three he's perhaps the riskiest but still a proven commidity and one that could make a very big difference.

As I've said all along, I think we're a competitive team that has underperformed for a lot of different reasons. Injury, roster turnover, etc. But one of the biggest problems IMO is that we simply don't have enough guys in roles their suited for. Our entire season is predicated on whether old guys have enough gas in the tank, whether young guys can step up into roles they've never played, whether certain guys will form chemistry with one another. Just once this season I'd like to see what this team could do with 6 legit top six forwards, and 4 legit top four defensemen.

Yeah Stafford's two consecutive 50 pt. seasons were flukes. Also, if I'm following you right now you're suggesting that the only reason that guys get shopped is because they aren't good. Which means that Filppula, Yandle, Iginla, Perry, Clowe, Stastny, Luongo, etc. are all not good.

Then again, we do have Nyquist, and lord knows he's the future.

Both Smid and Stafford are 27 years old. Stafford is under contract until 2015. Smid isn't, but only makes 2.25 million. He could easily be re-signed if wanted. Regehr is middle aged, but still very effective. Especially if we do make the playoffs, which I understand isn't a guarantee, of the three he's perhaps the riskiest but still a proven commidity and one that could make a very big difference.

As I've said all along, I think we're a competitive team that has underperformed for a lot of different reasons. Injury, roster turnover, etc. But one of the biggest problems IMO is that we simply don't have enough guys in roles their suited for. Our entire season is predicated on whether old guys have enough gas in the tank, whether young guys can step up into roles they've never played, whether certain guys will form chemistry with one another. Just once this season I'd like to see what this team could do with 6 legit top six forwards, and 4 legit top four defensemen.

Yeah Stafford's two consecutive 50 pt. seasons were flukes. Also, if I'm following you right now you're suggesting that the only reason that guys get shopped is because they aren't good. Which means that Filppula, Yandle, Iginla, Perry, Clowe, Stastny, Luongo, etc. are all not good.

Realistically, no one really knows if any of those players are on the market. It's all just speculation. I can guarantee Perry isn't being shopped...

Realistically, no one really knows if any of those players are on the market. It's all just speculation. I can guarantee Perry isn't being shopped...

You can guarantee it huh? Aren't you just...drum roll please...speculating? The only difference is that you're speculating in a different direction. Well, that and you aren't a professional hockey analyst who's job is to know things like team cap space, player efficacy, internal budgetary limitations, draft and development strategy, etc.

You can guarantee it huh? Aren't you just...drum roll please...speculating? The only difference is that you're speculating in a different direction. Well, that and you aren't a professional hockey analyst who's job is to know things like team cap space, player efficacy, internal budgetary limitations, draft and development strategy, etc.

Lol. ok, you got me... Maybe guarantee is too strong of a word. But I would be willing to bet large sums that Anaheim won't move Perry....

What I don't understand is this:

Cleary is getting dragged across the coals this season, and Stafford is pretty much Buffalo's Cleary right now. So where is the logic in bringing in ANOTHER Cleary? Do you guys have some insatiable appetite for bashing inconsistent players on here?

And before you use the "He's on a bad team" excuse, realize that Buffalo is only 6 points behind the Wings and have played in 4 less home games...

ya cause 2 seasons of 50 points makes stafford a star ... hes never gonna be on the decline now right?? hes a power forward! if he was so good buffalo wouldnt be shopping him

iginla perry filppula clowe are all ufa's at the end of the season , yandle carrys a cap number of 5+ million a season and phoenix doesnt wanna waste $$$ ... stastny is being highly over paid .. and luongo has like what 8 years left? lol thats why those guys are being shopping around

laugh at nyquist but id rather give him a shot at the top line with datsyuk and keep the assets it would cost us to get stafford and his consective 50 pt seasons

What I don't understand is this:

Cleary is getting dragged across the coals this season, and Stafford is pretty much Buffalo's Cleary right now. So where is the logic in bringing in ANOTHER Cleary? Do you guys have some insatiable appetite for bashing inconsistent players on here?

And before you use the "He's on a bad team" excuse, realize that Buffalo is only 6 points behind the Wings and have played in 4 less home games...

Dan Cleary has never in his life scored 30 goals or put up 50 points. He's also not as big as Stafford or as fast. And while Buffalo as a team may not be much worse that Detroit this season, they have traditionally been much worse. Finally, even if the team wasn't as bad as Detroit, it's still a defense first system, and Stafford has NEVER played on the wing of an elite center. We have two of them.

Stafford is definitely having a down year. But he's not "Buffalo's Cleary" and is a prime candidate for the old "needs a change of scenery" adage.

ya cause 2 seasons of 50 points makes stafford a star ... hes never gonna be on the decline now right?? hes a power forward! if he was so good buffalo wouldnt be shopping him

iginla perry filppula clowe are all ufa's at the end of the season , yandle carrys a cap number of 5+ million a season and phoenix doesnt wanna waste $$$ ... stastny is being highly over paid .. and luongo has like what 8 years left? lol thats why those guys are being shopping around

laugh at nyquist but id rather give him a shot at the top line with datsyuk and keep the assets it would cost us to get stafford and his consective 50 pt seasons

Never said he was a star, just said he was a good young power forward that would help us. As for the rest of your meandering thought, you just proved my point for me. Lots of teams move lots of guys for lots of reasons. The fact that Stafford is trade bait doesn't mean he's not any good.

Give Nyquist a shot at what, getting steam rolled by top defensive pairings while stickhandling and passing them to death? We need goal scorers...he isn't one.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by kipwinger