• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Can people really not see or understand that we're currently rebuilding on the fly?

I look at it differently. I do not see it a a drastic decline in the Wings, but rather, an improvement in the competition. The salary cap era was created to gain parity in the league, and I think it has done so. For a lot of those years prior, the Wings had an open checkbook and could dominate the league in paying for talent, and it showed. Unfortunately, it has caused a lot of spoiled fans that are now longing for the return of those days. Well, people, those days are over.

You know what's sad? Is that some people need to be reminded that there's a salary cap.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#42 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Datsyuk is the best player in the world. You don't trade a guy like him. I don't care when he retires. He must stay a Red Wing for life.

And why are we even having this conversation? As I type this despite all that has happend this season, #5 retiring #23 leaving, Homer retiring, injuries, lockout, WE ARE 5TH IN THE WEST!!!!! One point out of 4th. I could not be more inpressed with this club. The management, the coaching, the players have all been amazing. We are by FAR one of the best run teams in all of pro sports. Of corse we need to make some additions and subtractions,all teams do and hind sight is 20/20. But until we start missing the playoffs and are at the bottom the the standings I trust our coaching and managment 100% They have more than earned it.

#43 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

If I had come to this forum before going to NHL.com to check the result, I would have concluded we had lost - based upon the top half dozen threads all being of the trade/buyout/sack everybody type.

This season has been the worst for knee-jerk reaction threads after every loss .
If we're going to get a glut of knee-jerk reaction threads after every win, well, lets just say there aren't enough facepalms in all the world for that :dntknw: 

You missed the part where Edmonton scored on themselves and sent it to OT.

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

You missed the part where Edmonton scored on themselves and sent it to OT.

When other teams get lucky goals against the Wings, it's because the Wings suck. When the Wings get lucky goals against other teams, the Wings aren't good enough.

You are really bad.

#45 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

When other teams get lucky goals against the Wings, it's because the Wings suck. When the Wings get lucky goals against other teams, the Wings aren't good enough.

You are really bad.

Sorry mommy

#46 eb9

eb9

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I've got a trade idea...

Phoenix could use a few more fans, maybe Holland can trade Blueadams to the Coyotes. Maybe for Yandle?

Maybe we could give them Cleary and Blueadams.  For nothing at all, if that's what it takes.  What an awful idea he's had.  It's ok, we all have horrible ideas sometimes.

#47 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I choose to believe that really he just picked the topic at random as a thinly veiled excuse to start another line combo thread.

#48 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

We should really blow up this team and trade everyone right here right now right here right now right here right now.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 17 March 2013 - 12:59 AM.

#49 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

This is the Motor City.  We do not rebuild, we retool...

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

OP's suggested rebuild would all but guarantee a lottery pick.

#51 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Terrible idea.   Not a fan at all.

#52 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

OP's suggested rebuild would all but guarantee a lottery pick.

With the gross overpayments seen last trade deadline, coupled with the depth of this draft and ELC contract rules that make young stars very cap friendly, that may not be a terrible thing. Imagine Holland gets drunk, trades a few assets (Fil, Cleary, etc) gets a few extra first and second rounders... a team built on the back of youth with a few key vets around to mentor them? I like that idea a lot.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#53 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

With the gross overpayments seen last trade deadline, coupled with the depth of this draft and ELC contract rules that make young stars very cap friendly, that may not be a terrible thing. Imagine Holland gets drunk, trades a few assets (Fil, Cleary, etc) gets a few extra first and second rounders... a team built on the back of youth with a few key vets around to mentor them? I like that idea a lot.

There is logic in this. The only way to get superstars now is to draft them. Top players rarely make it to FA anymore. if they do, they bust your cap. The only way to drat these guys, is to have high picks. Its a catch 22. You can't make the PO's and get top 10 or 5 picks. WO top 5 or 10 picks you have a ceiling of only making the PO's.