• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

...so when will we know if WMU made the tourney?

Selection show is this Sunday at 9:00 EDT on ESPNU

Edit: For those in the region, the West Regionals are held in Grand Rapids & the Midwest Regionals are in Toledo.

Edited by ogreslayer, 20 March 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

i dont know crap about college hockey but i think only four teams make the tourney. ohio state, notre dame, michigan, miami oh.

That's the lineup for the the CCHA semi-finals at the Joe this weekend.  The NCAA tourney which starts on 3/29 is a 16 team tourney.

Edit: Western Michigan should end up making the tourney.  Sitting at #12 in the rankings that just came out on Monday.

Edited by ogreslayer, 20 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

OK, cool!

In a different thread, someone had mentioned that Sustr had received about 20-25 offers...I wonder if Holland called. I know he can only get so much money, it all comes down to if he gets icetime or not.  The same would be for Danny...crossing my fingers for at least Danny if not both!  I have a feeling that Dekeyser is Hollands first choice, so he probably isn't even going to make a decision until he sees if Danny is available after the selections....Hope he doesn't miss out on Sustr and then WMU gets selected and he doesn't get Danny now either. Of course he could still pick Danny up after the tourney...damn I want both of these guys here!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#44 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

That's the lineup for the the CCHA semi-finals at the Joe this weekend.  The NCAA tourney which starts on 3/29 is a 16 team tourney.

Edit: Western Michigan should end up making the tourney.  Sitting at #12 in the rankings that just came out on Monday.

oo thanks, yeah they should make the tourney. they are 3rd in the conference

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

If Western is poised to make the tourney, Holland better be on that phone to Sustr Christian right now! We cannot miss out on this beast! He will fill in nicely in Q's absence.  Sign Danny D later...

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Laser

Kindl - Night Ranger

Husky/White

www.thinkdunes.com

#46 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

If Western is poised to make the tourney, Holland better be on that phone to Sustr Christian right now! We cannot miss out on this beast! He will fill in nicely in Q's absence.  Sign Danny D later...

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Laser

Kindl - Night Ranger

Husky/White

We don't have the ties to Sustr like we do DeKeyser. Sustr has attended the NYR camp 3 years ago (IIRC) and for the past 2 he's attended PITTS and TB's camps. Josh Archibald has connections with Andrej Sustr, which is one of Pittsburghs prospects. So I could easily see TB or Pittsburgh getting Sustr with little to no problem. Every team has most likely been calling Sustr since he announced he was starting to take NHL offers and not do his senior year. Danny DeKeyser we have connections to. He's been at the camps the past 2-3(i'm almost positive it has been 3) seasons and Jim Nill's family is close with DeKeyser's. I would say we are in the front runner group for DeKeyser, if not THE front runner, but when it comes to Sustr... it's a pipe dream. I just hope we get ONE of them, please :(

EDIT:

Also, I would like DeKeyser more than Sustr right now. Obviously, both would be outstanding but DeKeyser is more NHL ready than Sustr. Sustr is an absolute beast at 6'8 230, and has the higher ceiling, but development wise, he's behind DeKeyser. Although, many say that Sustr has the potential to be the next Chara. Right now, we would be more prone to needing someone that would fit within the system now, not within 1-2+ years. We have enough defensemen within the system that I think our d core will be looking good in those upcoming years.

Edited by evilzyme, 20 March 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#47 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

We don't have the ties to Sustr like we do DeKeyser. Sustr has attended the NYR camp 3 years ago (IIRC) and for the past 2 he's attended PITTS and TB's camps. Josh Archibald has connections with Andrej Sustr, which is one of Pittsburghs prospects. So I could easily see TB or Pittsburgh getting Sustr with little to no problem. Every team has most likely been calling Sustr since he announced he was starting to take NHL offers and not do his senior year. Danny DeKeyser we have connections to. He's been at the camps the past 2-3(i'm almost positive it has been 3) seasons and Jim Nill's family is close with DeKeyser's. I would say we are in the front runner group for DeKeyser, if not THE front runner, but when it comes to Sustr... it's a pipe dream. I just hope we get ONE of them, please :(

EDIT:

Also, I would like DeKeyser more than Sustr right now. Obviously, both would be outstanding but DeKeyser is more NHL ready than Sustr. Sustr is an absolute beast at 6'8 230, and has the higher ceiling, but development wise, he's behind DeKeyser. Although, many say that Sustr has the potential to be the next Chara. Right now, we would be more prone to needing someone that would fit within the system now, not within 1-2+ years. We have enough defensemen within the system that I think our d core will be looking good in those upcoming years.

Totally agree, I like Dekeyser here first and foremost and if we only got him that would be great too!  I just remember reading that Detroit was one of the teams that was really interested in Sustr...no biggie.  I will take Danny D, and the good news is that Detroit is supposedly the front runner for him.  With Q's injury it opens the ice time up for him...then next season he can compete for a spot once White and Husky are gone and hopefully Colaiacovo to buyout or waived to GR...

www.thinkdunes.com

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

On a side note, I am willing to bet that Holland has already called Danny Diesel telling him the situation in Detroit (which I am sure he already knew about) and probably told him that if WMU doesn't make the tourney, he is in.  I sure hope he did!

www.thinkdunes.com

#49 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

On a side note, I am willing to bet that Holland has already called Danny Diesel telling him the situation in Detroit (which I am sure he already knew about) and probably told him that if WMU doesn't make the tourney, he is in.  I sure hope he did!

Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to jump right in. Have the Wings ever signed an NCAA player this time of year, and played them in Detroit or GR before?

#50 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to jump right in. Have the Wings ever signed an NCAA player this time of year, and played them in Detroit or GR before?

Abby. It was only two games, right at the end of the year when we already had the President's Trophy locked up, but I think he stayed on as black ace for the Cup run.

#51 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Riley Sheahan also got a game in Detroit & 7 in GR after signing out of Notre Dame at the end of last season.

#52 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

How many Black Aces can we carry?  I know the playoff roster expands, but I'm not sure how many, and how many are actually on the roster as opposed to Black Aces.

Sorry about the massive run-on sentence.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

EDIT:

Sign Dekeyser and draft Pulock.  That is all I ask from Kenny.  After the past few years not being able to find trading partners unless it's a 3-way deal, he needs to pull out the check book for young ready talent.  I cannot stand the idea of Sustr going to the Penguins though.  I'd rather him go to the Rangers than the Pens, at least I like the Rangers team and their constant underachieving.

How many Black Aces can we carry?  I know the playoff roster expands, but I'm not sure how many, and how many are actually on the roster as opposed to Black Aces.

We can only have the 23 man roster, but if i'm not mistaken Holland would usually bring more guys along if for nothing more than to soak in the playoff intensity and get a second hand taste of it.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#54 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

After the trade deadline the 23 man roster limit gets removed. There fore, technically, you can have unlimited black aces.

We can only have the 23 man roster, but if i'm not mistaken Holland would usually bring more guys along if for nothing more than to soak in the playoff intensity and get a second hand taste of it.

Holland usually brings 5+ black aces come playoff time and once April 3rd hits the 23 man roster limit goes away.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#55 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

...so when will we know if WMU made the tourney?

Sunday morning

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#56 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Sunday morning

Unless you have an in with the selection committee, try Sunday night.  Selection show starts at 9:00 PM EDT.

#57 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Unless you have an in with the selection committee, try Sunday night.  Selection show starts at 9:00 PM EDT.

Yeah, making WMU season come to an end so we can get DeKeyser.

No, I forgot CCHA tournament is a Saturday- Sunday, otherwise it's always been mornings.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#58 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

So is the NCAA tourney teams announced Sunday morning or night?

Wanna see if Minnesota State makes the cut. After getting smoked by the Badgers today I don't know. I doubt it but they were ranked 10th overall before the Nebraska Omaha series.

#59 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

So is the NCAA tourney teams announced Sunday morning or night?

Wanna see if Minnesota State makes the cut. After getting smoked by the Badgers today I don't know. I doubt it but they were ranked 10th overall before the Nebraska Omaha series.

9:00 PM EDT Sunday on ESPNU.  Minn State's sitting in the 8 spot in the rankings as of Monday so I think their chances would be pretty good. 

#60 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

9:00 PM EDT Sunday on ESPNU.  Minn State's sitting in the 8 spot in the rankings as of Monday so I think their chances would be pretty good. 

Excellent.