• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Red Wings lack offensive creativity

Rate this topic

2 on 2 or 3 on 2, they do the same thing everytime: skate forward and try and pass through defensemen's sticks.

Someone mentioned it before: this team NEVER utilizes the middle of the ice.

• shots from bad angles
  • shots from the point

Watch the Penguins, Blackhawks, Flyers, etc. They gain the zone, cut to the middle, and evaluate their options. They use against the grain passing where they flip the flow of the play on the rush.

And for how much of a genius Pav is, he cannot shoot to save his life. For every snipe he has, he has about 100 shots that go wide or go off a guy's leg.

Remember that two on 1 he was in tonight? Here's what a good hockey player will do.

*youtube vid*

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking. Cleary went full speed into the corner instead of pulling up and giving himself a good shooting angle...

Edited by Ytsejam

This thread screams CLEARY.

- Cleary shoots in terrible positions

- Filppula twirls back after entering the zone EVERY time - never goes to the net.

- Miller always goes to the corner and gets squeezed against the boards and the puck stollen

- Brunner shoots with no traffic all the time

- Franzen - flips the puck into goalie's glove upon entering the zone

- Kronwall tries to drag the puck along the blueline and shoot - usually hits someone

- Z and Dats are usually pretty good at being unique but are limited by what teammates offer them positionally

Part of it’s coaching.

In OT Kindl was in tight and had Datsyuk coming, wide open. Rather than attempt a pass to Pavel, Kindl threw a low % shot at Dubnyk’s feet. He was sacred to be creative because that means taking a chance and possibly turning the puck over, which would have been bad news because he would have been caught deep.

That’s coaching. Babcock has the young guys terrified.

This thread screams CLEARY.

- Filppula twirls back after entering the zone EVERY time - never goes to the net.

- Miller always goes to the corner and gets squeezed against the boards and the puck stollen

- Kronwall tries to drag the puck along the blueline and shoot - usually hits someone

- Z and Dats are usually pretty good at being unique but are limited by what teammates offer them positionally

I honestly feel like you nailed this perfectly.

Especially on Filppula and Franzen.

Boy did I get a kick out it when I saw 5 of our players thinking they can carry the puck up the middle and deke out 4 defenders.. (Nyquist, Miller, Smith, Franzen, Flippula) :no2:

Bonus: Brunner enjoys shooting the puck wherever he chooses.... patience!

Edited by HIFI_canadian

Datsyuk has an amazing shot usually. He's not playing very well and has horrible line mates (better tonight though). I would argue he has the best shot on the team. Franzen usually does, but is extremely streeky.

Drives me mad! :nono:

Datsyuk has an amazing shot usually. He's not playing very well and has horrible line mates (better tonight though). I would argue he has the best shot on the team. Franzen usually does, but is extremely streeky.

I disagree.

Although he does have the ability to snipe, he shoots an awful lot of shots into guy's legs and sticks. And his one-timers? :bad:

Datsyuk has a pretty good wrister, he just takes a lot of low percentage shots (into legs, off sticks into the mesh).

I think the teams lack of offensive creativity is for a big part on the coaches. Our planned 'plays' are easily read a mile away by any team's defenders. If I see kronwall switch positions at the blue line for a one timer pass from the other point man just to either: a) have it blocked or b) have the pass intercepted, one more time, I will throw a temper tantrum.

Oh and our constantly changing lines don't help much either. I don't think chemistry is a HUGE deal, but if you play for a long time with someone eventually a play only you guys will do together will be born.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

This seems to still be relevant.

Nothing....just nothing.

Not one player in this lineup can be counted on to score when we REALLY need one.

I can count on Hank or Pav to assist on the goal, but no one to score it.

It will continue to be relevant until Holland gets back to doing his job and building a winning roster. Not a roster of two stars and spare parts.

Hmmm.. The Wings need a top 4 puck moving defenseman, and a couple top 6 forwards who can actually score a goal. Hmmm... if only there was someway to obtain such players. Hmmm... if only you could somehow exchange players, picks or prospects with other teams to make your own team better. Hmmm.... it would be so perfect. Hmmm... if only we could of gotten rid of some of the 3 extra defenseman we don't have ice time for. If only we could of gotten rid of some of the 4 extra forwards who take up a bunch of cap space? And if only we could get rid of some of our goalie prospects wasting there lives in Grand Rapids because we already have a #1 for the distant future, and a very skilled #3 in the waiting. Hmmm.... if only every other team in contention hadn't magically become better!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/red_wings_continue_having_trou.html#incart_river

Said Babcock: “We don't score that good so we got to keep grinding. The bottom line is I thought we put a good effort in. We got another game tomorrow (at Chicago), so let's get on the flight and get something in us and get ready to go.''

The Red Wings continue to struggle to score. It doesn't look like that will change.

“The league tightens up,'' Babcock said. “Some guys score and some guys don't, and we got a lot that don't.''

This is all because Babs is switching the lines so bad.

If we wanna make the playoffs it's the time to put some goal scorers into the bottom six. Bring in some quality instead of size und put together what belongs together. Plus we are in need of skillful defensemen. Makes no sense to let play some lazy guys like Ericsson or Quincey. Especially on the PP:

Tatar, Datsjuk, Franzen

Nyquist, Zetterberg, Brunner

Cleary, Filppula, Abdelkader

Miller, Emmerton, Eaves

Kronwall, Lashoff

Smith, Kindl

DeKeyser, White

- Kronwall and Lash already played together very successfully. Lash is a very good defender and would allow Kronwall to create some offense. Plus he moves the puck a lot better than simply sweepers like Colaiacovo, Ericsson or Quincey.

- Zetterberg and Brunner are not scoring on 5vs5 since they were separated by Babs. Think Nyquist could be a good addition because he worked well with Brunner in 1,2 games.

- Tatar is a young guy but has the quickest hands (after Datsjuk and Brunner) of the whole roster. He's a natural born goalscorer and should get a call up very immediately. Wanna see him paired with Datsjuk and Franzen. Franzen can take Abby's job and drive hard to the net. He has the body and he's useless if he's just standin arround.

- Filppula is not scoring altough he's playing in the bottom six all the time. Can't accept that anymore. Maybe he would feel confident as 3rd line center along with some hard working guys who can create a lot of space for him.

So I'm pretty sure that reunite what worked and put together what belongs together would be the key...

Edited by poel

Wow. It's shocking that a team full of pluggers, rookies, and bargain basement filler would lack creativity. The few skilled players we on our roster have got to be shaking their heads at times wondering "WTF??"