• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

To think about the days where every one wanted to keep Franzen over Hossa ... Pathetic ...

dont look at me on that one....twas not my call...

hossa brings it everynight....franzen brings it every holiday.

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#42 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

dont look at me on that one....twas not my call...

hossa brings it everynight....franzen brings it every holiday.

Wow what an exaggeration there is like nine holidays. That's more than double the amount of times he brings it.

#43 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Remember how in years past we all complained about the Wings offensive strategy - Cleary or Zetterberg entering the zone next to the boards and doing the 180 degree spin to look for a player heading down the middle or a trailer for the pass.  You could set your watch to that kind of play.

Now all we see is a Wings defensemen meet the red line or a forward meet the blue line and shoot the puck in for someone to chase.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Flip in the overtime period do the 180 degree spin and guess what - there was actually someone to pass to who was heading to the net!

Also, I remember seeing on George Malik's blog last Fall a mention of a story from the Windsor Star that had a discussion with Jim Nill about the state of the Wings and Nill supposedly saying that transitioning away from being a puck possession team was one of the items the Wings top brass was considering given the change (decrease) in talent on the team.

And to all the hate for Holland - he did say before the season started that he was unsure the team would make the playoffs.  That is because THIS season was always about NEXT season;  the vets were brought in as a band-aid to get to the land of magic, the UFA and salary dump market in July 2013.

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines in CO, 13 April 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#44 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

You're right. Same problem with Fil. Maybe some fresh air would help this team to step up. Mule and Fil are skilled players but actually it seems that they're not willing to make an effort every single day.

The thing that kills me is that if we trade Franzen and don't re-sign Fil...  they'll probably both go on point and scoring streaks and we'd all be moaning and groaning about how Holland traded them away.  "Fresh air" works both ways.  This team just needs some new pieces.   Not a NYR or Philly styled blow up, but some key replacement cogs and grease for the Big Red Machine.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Remember how in years past we all complained about the Wings offensive strategy - Cleary or Zetterberg entering the zone next to the boards and doing the 180 degree spin to look for a player heading down the middle or a trailer for the pass.  You could set your watch to that kind of play.

Now all we see is a Wings defensemen meet the red line or a forward meet the blue line and shoot the puck in for someone to chase.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Flip in the overtime period do the 180 degree spin and guess what - there was actually someone to pass to who was heading to the net!

Also, I remember seeing on George Malik's blog last Fall a mention of a story from the Windsor Star that had a discussion with Jim Nill about the state of the Wings and Nill supposedly saying that transitioning away from being a puck possession team was one of the items the Wings top brass was considering given the change (decrease) in talent on the team.

And to all the hate for Holland - he did say before the season started that he was unsure the team would make the playoffs.  That is because THIS season was always about NEXT season;  the vets were brought in as a band-aid to get to the land of magic, the UFA and salary dump market in July 2013.

Playoffs will be harder to make next season, playing in an 8 team division.

Not to mention, what makes you think Holland will do anything significant in the offseason?  Certainly not recent history.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

So Holland admitting we suck at the start of the season absolves him of responsibility for it? Or is that just Holland-speak for "I sucked this offseason".

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

I thought this was an interesting quote from Babcock:

“Everyone says to me about scoring,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “To me, the league's real simple. You look at the Guide and Record Book and look at what a guy does, and every once in a while he has a big year. But, really, he does the same thing year after year after year.

“We score like we should, that's what we got. We understand that. So, if you know you're challenged to score, what do you do? You don't try to outscore your mistakes, you don't make as many mistakes. You be good defensively, you be hard on the other team.''

This team isn't so much underachieving offensively as they are not scoring much due to lack of offensive talent. 

Then Babs calls out Flip a bit.  

Valtteri Filppula has one goal and two points in his past 13 games.

“He's one guy the Guide and Record Book doesn't speak right about, right?'' Babcock said. “We could use some offense. When you're not scoring and you think you're a scorer, get on the inside, one of the D-men will shoot it off your foot and you'll get scoring.''

http://www.mlive.com...lace_in_we.html

#48 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

then why did we sound down tatar? He hardly played and yet was creating great offensive plays with andy, then we wait for players like filppula n others to get hot eventually, when eventually could be too late. Go to the net!!! he was. 

Edited by Superman54, 14 April 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#49 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

This is all because Babs is switching the lines so bad.

If we wanna make the playoffs it's the time to put some goal scorers into the bottom six. Bring in some quality instead of size und put together what belongs together. Plus we are in need of skillful defensemen. Makes no sense to let play some lazy guys like Ericsson or Quincey. Especially on the PP:

Tatar, Datsjuk, Franzen

Nyquist, Zetterberg, Brunner

Cleary, Filppula, Abdelkader

Miller, Emmerton, Eaves

Kronwall, Lashoff

Smith, Kindl

DeKeyser, White

- Kronwall and Lash already played together very successfully. Lash is a very good defender and would allow Kronwall to create some offense. Plus he moves the puck a lot better than simply sweepers like Colaiacovo, Ericsson or Quincey.

- Zetterberg and Brunner are not scoring on 5vs5 since they were separated by Babs. Think Nyquist could be a good addition because he worked well with Brunner in 1,2 games.

- Tatar is a young guy but has the quickest hands (after Datsjuk and Brunner) of the whole roster. He's a natural born goalscorer and should get a call up very immediately. Wanna see him paired with Datsjuk and Franzen. Franzen can take Abby's job and drive hard to the net. He has the body and he's useless if he's just standin arround.

- Filppula is not scoring altough he's playing in the bottom six all the time. Can't accept that anymore. Maybe he would feel confident as 3rd line center along with some hard working guys who can create a lot of space for him.

So I'm pretty sure that reunite what worked and put together what belongs together would be the key...

Looks like I'm right and Mr. Babcock has threwn away multipe games with just very very bad coaching. When Brunner and Cleary plus Zetterberg and Franzen switched spots yesterday, Wings played so much better than before. Datsjuk and Franzen match perfectly together ans so do Zetterberg and Brunner. It just makes no sense to put the best playmakers together in a line along with a tough guy like Abdelkader who's not able to profit from their ideas. When you put these two together you really need to add a natural born goalscorer otherwise this system can't work.

Maybe the loss against Calgary was a little bit unlucky. But it was for sure Mr. Babcock's fault that Redwings lost. You can't throw away a period against a strong team like the Flames are at the moment. But Mr. Babcock has threwn away not only that single game. Redwings were a strong team team as long as Tatar was in the roster and Brunner played with Z and Fil. But then, Tatar had to go down and Brunner was demoted by Babcock. He gave up two of his best goal scorers voluntarly. Just ridiculous.

If Babcock wanna make the playoffs he'd better save the lineup of the last two periods against the Flames. Just including one change. Call up for Tatar and reassign Andersson to Grand Rapids.

#50 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

I think Babcock is trying to turn them into a defense first team, so he doesn't care about not scoring. A lot of his questionable moves make sense in a big picture, 2-3 year kind of way. Frustrating to watch. I also hope they're not trying to turn the team nto Minnesota or New Jersey. If we don't have the talent right now to be pick possessors, don't give up, go get the damn talent.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, I understand them putting a premium on responsible defensive play.  But to try and turn your franchise into Nashville, Phoenix, or someone like that doesn't make much sense.  We haven't been drafting for that type of system, nor developing, nor coaching, nor anything.  So switching midstream without the type of roster necessary to excel in that type of game is a bit silly.  Then again, what do I know.  It's obviously been working out for us thus far eh?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#52 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

They lack offense in general! Or, otherwise, the ability to capitalize on chances.

I feel like we have a team of pass first players with the exception of Franzen and Brunner and unfortunately the latter is snake bitten as hell.  I appreciate the work Abby has done on the first line, but his job is to be a third line grinder, and he excels at that job.  We need a gritty top 6 player who isn't afraid to shoot the puck.

It sucks because I really think Nash would have been the answer to our top 6 woes.  He could have been paired up with Pav and Fil and Z could have been on the second line with Mule and Brunner.  I am really hoping this offseason that Kenny goes after a Nash or Ryan type player.  Offensive creativity is not the only way to score goals, sometimes you've got to just grind hard, power your way in and score that garbage goal.

We could also work with who we already have in our system like, I don't know, TATAR MAYBE!!  It kills me that he is not in this lineup and freaking Cleary is.  That move alone might have had us in a different spot today.  No disrespect to Cleary, but his time in Detroit should be over after this season.

Edited by Wingsfan72, 18 April 2013 - 03:05 PM.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#53 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Wings lost against an AHL-team. Rookie's like Baertschi, Horak, Reinhart or Hanowski stepped up and create a lot of offense. Calgary's actually playing a lot better than the redwings do - not only because of the loss yesterday. So why Babcock doesn't want to give our youth a chance? As already said before, Wings didn't draft a lot of defensive responsible players. With Brunner, Samuelsson and Nyquist most of the newest roster additions aren't defensive responsible, too. So why not let the youth play big minutes as they do very successfully for Calgary as long as the other guy's nearly produce nothin? Does anybody think that our prospects are worse than Calgary's? Never.

Plus it's very hard to get a PP going or create some offense as long as you got a Quincey on the ice. I'm very sorry, Kyle, but see what happened in Calgary since the Bouwmeester trade. TJ Brodie's playing big minutes every single night and is creating a lot of offense. He's one of the best defensemen in the league as long as he plays on this level. Some of our younger defensemen (DeKeyer, Smith, Lash) could also do that if they get a chance to. See how Kindl stepped up by playing big minutes.

Same problem with Ericsson. You can't create offense with two defensmen in the lineup who are useless at the blueline.

Edited by poel, 18 April 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#54 bardownginos

bardownginos

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Bottom line is Tomas Tatar should be on this team. The Red Wings brass is too loyal to their players. Dan Cleary would be in the press box on 29 other teams

#55 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Does anybody really believe that desirable players will be part of any team's salary dump?  Maybe a couple of second tier players, but nothing of the quality you're describing.  If he seriously gave up on a season to get more fluffy filler, I will be pissed.