• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I apologize ahead of time if this does not belong in the general, I don't know where else it would/should go.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has any trouble viewing LGW forums on a tablet? I use my iPad a lot, especially when I am unable to use my PC for whatever reason and the forums can't be used about 95% of the time. There is an ad that takes up almost the entire screen and it takes about 10 seconds for the little X to pop up on the upper right corner of the ad to close it. However, if you click the X, or anywhere at all on the screen, it redirects me from LGW to the website the ad is for anyways. I say 95% of the time because I've been lucky in less than a handful of times where the X actually closed the ad for a few pages, until it showed its ugly face again.

Any tips for being able to view this forum successfully on a tablet?

#2 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I apologize ahead of time if this does not belong in the general, I don't know where else it would/should go.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has any trouble viewing LGW forums on a tablet? I use my iPad a lot, especially when I am unable to use my PC for whatever reason and the forums can't be used about 95% of the time. There is an ad that takes up almost the entire screen and it takes about 10 seconds for the little X to pop up on the upper right corner of the ad to close it. However, if you click the X, or anywhere at all on the screen, it redirects me from LGW to the website the ad is for anyways. I say 95% of the time because I've been lucky in less than a handful of times where the X actually closed the ad for a few pages, until it showed its ugly face again.

Any tips for being able to view this forum successfully on a tablet?

Are you using the mobile site or the full site? You might want to try the other version.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 16 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#3 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Are you using the mobile site or the full site? You might want to try the other version.

It's the full site. The mobile version doesn't show up on tablet, nor is there a link for it at the bottom like their usually is for websites.

#4 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I use Chrome on both my tablet (Android) and phone, switch between mobile and full modes on the forum.There's also an app called Tapatalk, no clue on availability on Apple.

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I use Chrome on both my tablet (Android) and phone, switch between mobile and full modes on the forum.There's also an app called Tapatalk, no clue on availability on Apple.

It's available on Apple.

https://itunes.apple...d307880732?mt=8

#6 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm relieved;  I thought a drug testing program was going to be introduced.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#7 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ads like these should be turned off on tablets as I don't allow them, but many are 3rd party and get "snuck in" when the actual campaign starts. Please report these whenever they occur -- I also view the site regularly on my iPad but hadn't seen this particular advertisement.

As previously mentioned, there is a mobile version of the forums and it is available via the TapaTalk app that is available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices.

(Moved this thread to Member Services.)

#8 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

This issue has inadvertently lead to a decline in my visiting here. I've progressively used the iPad more and more for web content the last few years, and LGW on the iPad is just a mess with the ads. Starts to feel like more trouble than it's worth after awhile. I'll have to check out the Tapatalk option. Just another step into the app-centric world...

-Elliot...does not panic.

#9 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I get the same ad and it drives me insane. Now, just today I am getting another ad on top of that one that asks me to tilt my iPad one way. I am finally able to click out of that ad which brings me back to the ad that you have to wait for the x to show up.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#10 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Guys -- please report these. I have never tolerated layer or interstitial ads and I turn them off the minute I come across them. Sometimes those changes take an hour or so to take affect, but ads that fall into these categories (along with non-user initiated expandables, audio/video, pop-ups, pop-unders) are all disabled, but they still occasionally make it through the filters because it's a 3rd party sending them through one of the ad agencies that I use.

The user experience has always been a top priority here and that will never change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users