• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

We all know the wings had a bad season against the jackets but is it just the fact that they were due to have that kind of season against each other or are the jackets finally turning the corner. They have a point in their last 10 games and have won 7 of those. They are only 2 points out of 8th in the west and 3 behind Detroit. So are the jackets for real?

#2 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I think something will cause the jackets to fade like they usually do:

Bobrovsky will get injured/start sucking

the team will have an injury

go through a losing streak or:

get passed for 8th by a slightly hotter team

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#3 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Bobrovsky is on a roll right now and that's the only reason I can see how they got on this streak of points. He'll cool off and the Jackets will fall back down.

Posted Image

#4 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

It's funny as of today Columbus and the NYR are tied at 28 points.

Maybe getting rid of Nash was the best thing to happen to Columbus.

#5 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

They play hard and they play well as a team. I think CBJ is using these attributes to take advantage of a lot of tired teams in the middle of the season. This could be a turning point for them, or it could be a simple hot streak. I hope they get it turned around and can become more competative over the full season next year.

#6 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

They are a hard working team, and they play very well to their strengths. I don't see them as any kind of threat, and think they'll probably be hot and cold for the rest of the season. They won't make the playoffs. 

They're on a nice little streak right now, but they still have a lot of missing pieces to be a contender in the league going forward. 

Posted Image

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Is this a hypothetical question?

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#8 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

They are a below average team that is just on a hot streak right now. Even terrible teams go on a streak now and then. 

#9 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

If not for Bobrovsky and their ability to take advantage of shootouts to get extra points they'd still be at the bottom of the standings.  They work hard, but their roster is essentially a hodge-podge of players that Howson put together, seemingly without any kind of reasoning.  With their new GM, I expect CBJ to start to become at least a bit more competitive over the next few seasons.

#10 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

There guys had been so bad that it was only a matter of time before someone started scoring again. Anisimov, Johanson, Dubinsky, Prospal, Brassard, and Umberger can score more than they have been. There D should start helping out the offense too with Johnson and Wisniewski back there. Bobrovsky looks like he may just be the guy theyve needed there too.

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Firing Scott Howson was a smart move and it didn't take him long to find a new job. But when all is said and done, they should be sponsored by Levi Strauss & Co.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Those little s***heads ruined my vacation to Columbus last weekend. :-( Had 4th row seats at Nationwide surrounded by wings fans and we just sat there in disgust.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#13 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

It's funny as of today Columbus and the NYR are tied at 28 points.

Maybe getting rid of Nash was the best thing to happen to Columbus.

Not starting Steve Mason is the best thing to happen to Cbus.

#14 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Not starting Steve Mason is the best thing to happen to Cbus.

I agree.

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

They're a hard-working team. Hard work goes a long way. Their bottom 6 is full of hard-working, physical players. Jared Boll, Derek MacKenzie, Derek Dorsett (Who is out for the remainder of the year) and Colton Gillies make the Jackets difficult to play against.

Their offense doesn't really scare anyone on paper. Artem Anisimov has struggled. Brandon Dubinsky has been average. R.J. Umberger has been average, at best. Mark Letestu has been a pleasant surprise, though.

Sergei Bobrovsky has been utterly stellar.

Personally, I hope they can continue to play well, but their offense is really gonna need to pick it up. Bobrovsky can't carry the team by himself.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Todd Richards has established a great relationship with his players and in result the team has developed chemistry. However, I feel they are the type of team of when they start losing then it starts to spread like a disease. To prevent this, you need more a veteran presence in order to keep the team together. If the CBJS are still alive for a playoff spot then expect a veteran acquisition at the deadline.

Edited by HIFI_canadian, 18 March 2013 - 01:42 AM.

tomastatar.png

#17 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

I have only seen their games against the Wings. and sure, you can say Wings weren't really playing hard and at their best game. but those BJs looked good. and I don't mean Bobrovsky, but their whole team which had very decent teamwork and fine skill to watch. plus: Jack Johnson has really stabilized their defense and seems to be a huge leader behind their blue line.

are they for reals? I dunno, but am more likely to think so than the other way around. 

on the other hand... watching some recent Saturday games of the Wings (against Hawks, Canucks) they also look like a very capable team. and then they keep floating around this 8th playoff spot as if undecided if they want in or out...

#18 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Don't forget, without their success against the Wings they would be near the bottom. They are just on a typical hot streak of sorts. They are still an inferior team.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#19 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

They're a hard-working team. Hard work goes a long way. Their bottom 6 is full of hard-working, physical players. Jared Boll, Derek MacKenzie, Derek Dorsett (Who is out for the remainder of the year) and Colton Gillies make the Jackets difficult to play against.

Their offense doesn't really scare anyone on paper. Artem Anisimov has struggled. Brandon Dubinsky has been average. R.J. Umberger has been average, at best. Mark Letestu has been a pleasant surprise, though.

Sergei Bobrovsky has been utterly stellar.

Personally, I hope they can continue to play well, but their offense is really gonna need to pick it up. Bobrovsky can't carry the team by himself.

All of this and you can also add that they have hard working skilled forwards who are getting valuable playing time like Matt Calvert and Cam Atkinson.  Ryan Murray will also add another element to their team once he's ready to go.  I expect Ryan Johansson to pick up point production once he gets more accustomed to a deeper role on their team and cathches up with NHL speed.  They also got Spencer Machacek in a trade with the Jets who can play top or bottom 6 and he's got good speed and great work ethic.  If they can get a UFA or 2 to add more scoring depth and get a couple decent draft picks this year, they could be a legit playoff team in a couple years.  The may make it this year, but they'll get bounced in the 1st round cause they don't have enough scorers yet.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#20 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

People on here seem to discount the fact the BJs have taken the Blackhawks to the very limit 3 times in a row now, and all of those were during the Blackhawks streak.

They aren't the 87 Oilers on offense to be sure, but they are big and fast and they aren't afraid to take the body on teams.  They look a lot like some of the late 90s/early 2000s Devils teams (Obviously without the star power).

As long as Bob stays healthy and hot, they can beat anyone.  If they had one more scorer they'd easily be a playoff team with how hard they play night in and night out.  When they meet up with unmotivated teams (Vancouver, Detroit are recent examples), their overall lack of talent is overcome by hard work and physical play.

I will say that they have probably turned the corner as a franchise.  There seems to be somewhat of a cohesive plan now.  Nash wasn't the problem, but everyone needed a fresh start in that scenario.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.