Brunner downgraded to the third line!?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 mosare

mosare

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Our best sniper and maybe skater as well, has been downgraded to the third line and has only about 12 min ice time!! I really can't see any reason for that. What do you think about?

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

No goals in 8 or 9 games, and he's not a Babcock favourite.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#3 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:09 AM

He has a better shot against Vancouver's lower lines than playing against the Sedins all game. I'm sure he'll be back up next game unless Babcock thinks these lines are working based on the 5-2 win.

Posted Image

#4 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

Babcock is working on this new strategy that involves having 4th liners play on your top two lines. He believes it will take the league by storm. 

#5 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

He hasn't really done anything in 10 games. Maybe the league has figured him out. Miller has been playing above his game lately, and is better defensively. Like said above, he probably got moved down, away from the Twins. He better start chipping in on offense, or he'll be watching games from the press box.

#6 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

He hasn't really done anything in 10 games. Maybe the league has figured him out. Miller has been playing above his game lately, and is better defensively. Like said above, he probably got moved down, away from the Twins. He better start chipping in on offense, or he'll be watching games from the press box.

If Franzen can go 15+ games without a goal multiple times the last couple years and never drop off the top two lines then Brunner should be safe from the press box. Especially since Brunner has more points and twice as many goals as Franzen this year. 

#7 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

You seem to forget how Babcock likes to motivate his players. Especially a rookie who still has a lot to prove. Ville Leino looked great his first few games too. We all know how that turned out. And Franzen has earned his spot, remember, he led the team in goals last year. Even when he took a month off.

#8 mosare

mosare

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

he played better than Z the last 10 games, so your argument is invalid. he need good passes to score, but either Z nor franzen was able to do that! dats and brunner would be a beast together!

#9 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Neither of them have done anything on offense, but Z still is our shutdown center. Brunner has a lot to learn in his own zone. That's why he got bumped down against The Sedins. Is that too hard to understand?

#10 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

he played better than Z the last 10 games, so your argument is invalid.

Stats don't show that. Unless you mean that one more assist he has. Your argument is weak and not based on watching the games.

#11 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

You seem to forget how Babcock likes to motivate his players. Especially a rookie who still has a lot to prove. Ville Leino looked great his first few games too. We all know how that turned out. And Franzen has earned his spot, remember, he led the team in goals last year. Even when he took a month off.

Leino never looked great that's why we got rid of him.

#12 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

ot they just want to make his signing cheaper

My wish: A healthy roster

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

He hasn't really done anything in 10 games. Maybe the league has figured him out.

Well, him Dats and Z all started like a house on fire before slowing down.  I wonder if they hit the ground running because they had their legs, lungs and timing from playing in Europe.  Now that the rest of the NHL is match-fit they no longer have that advantage.

Not to mention that most rookies hit a wall at some point in their first NHL season.  It is a grind, and all those high-intensity games in a short period, with all the travel, they take their toll on those who haven't experienced it before.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Leino never looked great that's why we got rid of him.

Go back and watch his first season. I wanna say end of 2008 he played in the final 10-20 games or so and lit it up.

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot), 17 March 2013 - 09:13 AM.

[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#15 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

He didn't hold the puck for more thaan 2 seconds at a time last night. He is obviously dealing with some confidence issues. Extremely obvious why this was made, Miller has been great all season and deserved the bump up.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#16 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yikes. Seeing people on this board freak out at every minor change Babcock makes is getting really, really old. Brunner was ineffective last night. He got dropped to the third line and soon afterward helped set up a goal against easier opposition. And in case anyone has completely forgotten, the Wings dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods last night and ran away with the game.

It is not in the least bit unusual for a player to get demoted when he is having a very difficult game. Any of you who watch a lot of hockey should know that.

If Franzen can go 15+ games without a goal multiple times the last couple years and never drop off the top two lines then Brunner should be safe from the press box. Especially since Brunner has more points and twice as many goals as Franzen this year. 

He's not in danger of being dropped out of the lineup.

Edited by Crymson, 17 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#17 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

He set up a nice goal on the third line today.  He probably won't stay there, but playing against lesser competition might be better for him.

#18 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I was a bit salty about this last night as well, but if playing against easier opposition helps him regain his confidence then faster pussycat, kill kill. I don't see it as a lack of faith, because if I remember correctly Babs still put him out on the PP with Dats and Z. I'm also kind of excited for him to be on the third line if Helmer comes back on Wed, that puts him on a line with a big body that can create space (Joakim) and a fast body that can create time (Helmer). He might really be able to open the flood gates!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#19 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yeah I was surprised to see Brunner on the third line but I'm not gonna complain about it.

Could be a number of reasons why Babs decided to do this in Vancouver.

Hey it worked.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 17 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#20 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Well, what is being lost in this discussion is that finally Dan Cleary has been put back on the 3rd line!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!