Photo
- - - - -

Brunner downgraded to the third line!?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Difference is bad games for Franzen is effort based, and that to me is very hard to comprehend. I don't mind if he goes into slumps, I do mind when he isn't trying to make a difference in other ways of the game. He can be more physical, he can be better in the corners, he can drop the gloves for teammates, but he doesn't do it all the time. I watch more than just score sheets, and that's why I'm disappointed in Franzen, and not Brunner, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Abdelkader who ever else goes on a slump, because you don't hear Babcock calling them out on not coming to the rink every night.

Like I stated earlier, when other players slump in scoring, they still bring their 100% effort and contribute in other ways...Zetterberg and Datsyuk setting up goals, shutting down opposing teams top lines and Abby being what he is a grinder and drawing penalties and throwing his body around...when Franzine slumps, he brings nothing else to the ice....especially effort.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#42 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Franzena problem is he is a good player but has no effort. Whether he scores or not he is a defensive liability, doesn't use his size, and flat out just doesn't try. He very rarely actually earns a goal from his hard work. He benefits from the other guys hard work. The difference between Brunner and franzen is Brunner tries. Brunner is working hard and no he isn't as skilled as franzen. But I'll take Brunner over him all day cause he has heart. Franzen flat out doesn't and no matter what side of the fence you're on you can't legitimately say otherwise.

#43 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

By page 3 all threads lead to Franzen.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#44 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Cause you either love him so much you want to be with him. Or you dislike him(his effort) so much you want to give him up for a used jock strap.

He has earned his whipping boy status more so than anyone on this team.

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Amen!

...and I was told that I was the one always bringing him up! :lol:  I do it a lot, I admit, but its nice to see that I am certainly not the only one to turn threads into Franzine threads!

Here is the final word on my opinion, Brunner on the 3rd line is better than Cleary or Franzine in the top 6...dump Franzine now.

Edited by LeftWinger, 17 March 2013 - 08:58 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#46 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

I swear after the cleary goal he was back on the first line with z and flip, so I don't think it was a big deal

#47 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I swear after the cleary goal he was back on the first line with z and flip, so I don't think it was a big deal

Still want him with Dats!!!!!

#48 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Still want him with Dats!!!!!

I'd like to see it too, just meant I think him playing a few minutes on the third line is not a permanent thing.

#49 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Like I stated earlier, when other players slump in scoring, they still bring their 100% effort and contribute in other ways...Zetterberg and Datsyuk setting up goals, shutting down opposing teams top lines and Abby being what he is a grinder and drawing penalties and throwing his body around...when Franzine slumps, he brings nothing else to the ice....especially effort.

You always know where he's been on the ice though.  You ever see the green slime that slugs leave when they travel to and fro?

By the 3rd you expect him to float in and and give us something to talk about.  Page 3/Period 3...same dif.

Realistically, Brunner wouldn't be a bad idea on the 3rd line for a bit....when Helm returns and you can have both of them tearing around the ice together.  Brunner may be able to get better open ice shots when the opposition gets mesmorized by Helm's speed.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#50 Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Brunner's early season numbers are easily attributed to playing during the lockout, as were Hank's. No surprise they've cooled off at the same time as the rest of the league has finally caught up speed and conditioning wise. I think Brunner on the 3rd line will do him well, he'll see lesser defensive pairings and will probably get more space to do things. I happen to think Babcock's line shuffling Saturday worked wonders, the team seemed to feed off it. Not really worried about him at all, he's an everyday player who is experiencing his first dose of NHL reality. He'll get back to scoring soon.

#51 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Brunner wasn't downgraded. Ok, I guess one could take it that way. I prefer to look at it as spreading out the offensive talent and scoring. Getting goals from 3 lines is better than just from 1 line.

#52 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I find it funny that people get butt-hurt over Brunner (who has been struggling) getting moved to the third line, but if were a struggling Franzen getting moved down everyone would be calling for Babcock to win the Jack Adams.

Did I see someone say that Mickey Redmond was "talking sh*t" about Brunner not scoring? Sounded more to me like he was pointing out why he was struggling and some changes he could make... I mean gee, a guy who has one 40+ and two 50+ goal seasons under his belt and has been watching hockey games for a living for 30+ years probably doesn't know anything about scoring goals...

I also thought it was funny when Redmond said that Datsyuk likes playing with Abdelkader. I can't imagine how that must've stung for people who've been saying that Datsyuk has been comtemplating his future due to playing with Cleary and Abdelkader...

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Brunner's early season numbers are easily attributed to playing during the lockout, as were Hank's. No surprise they've cooled off at the same time as the rest of the league has finally caught up speed and conditioning wise. I think Brunner on the 3rd line will do him well, he'll see lesser defensive pairings and will probably get more space to do things. I happen to think Babcock's line shuffling Saturday worked wonders, the team seemed to feed off it. Not really worried about him at all, he's an everyday player who is experiencing his first dose of NHL reality. He'll get back to scoring soon.

I will just point out this, and leave it here.

Datsyuk rookie year 

2001-2002 70gp 11g 24a 35p

Zetterberg rookie year

2002-2003 79gp 22g 22a 44p

Brunner

2013 29gp 10g 10a 20p

he is on a much better pace then Dats or Z were in their first years, also he has 1 goal less then dats did in 70 games in his rookie season, I am the least bit worried

#54 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Amen!

...and I was told that I was the one always bringing him up! :lol:  I do it a lot, I admit, but its nice to see that I am certainly not the only one to turn threads into Franzine threads!

Here is the final word on my opinion, Brunner on the 3rd line is better than Cleary or Franzine in the top 6...dump Franzine now.

That's because you normally do.  I can't go a day without reading at a minimum of 3 of yours posts with 'Franzine' in them.  We get it.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Difference is bad games for Franzen is effort based, and that to me is very hard to comprehend. I don't mind if he goes into slumps, I do mind when he isn't trying to make a difference in other ways of the game. He can be more physical, he can be better in the corners, he can drop the gloves for teammates, but he doesn't do it all the time. I watch more than just score sheets, and that's why I'm disappointed in Franzen, and not Brunner, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Abdelkader who ever else goes on a slump, because you don't hear Babcock calling them out on not coming to the rink every night.

This all day.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

I will just point out this, and leave it here.

Datsyuk rookie year 

2001-2002 70gp 11g 24a 35p

Zetterberg rookie year

2002-2003 79gp 22g 22a 44p

Brunner

2013 29gp 10g 10a 20p

he is on a much better pace then Dats or Z were in their first years, also he has 1 goal less then dats did in 70 games in his rookie season, I am the least bit worried

Brunner gets much more power play time than Datsyuk did and plays with better linemates; for much of Datsyuk's rookie season, he was paired with Devereaux and Dandenault. That said, I agree that Brunner has a lot of potential, and he brings good things to the team.

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

That's because you normally do.  I can't go a day without reading at a minimum of 3 of yours posts with 'Franzine' in them.  We get it.

and as long as he is still a Red Wings and people continue to talk about him, so will I. But it is nice that even though I respond to post about him, I am usually not the first one to bring him up, and that my friend RR, is fact. I have refrained from bringing him up first, but if someone else brings him up, all bets are off! :lol: I am glad you get it, but I am by far NOT the only hater on this forum...

http://www.letsgowin...e/#entry2370462

First one top mention him....

Edited by LeftWinger, 18 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#58 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

and as long as he is still a Red Wings and people continue to talk about him, so will I. But it is nice that even though I respond to post about him, I am usually not the first one to bring him up, and that my friend RR, is fact. I have refrained from bringing him up first, but if someone else brings him up, all bets are off! :lol: I am glad you get it, but I am by far NOT the only hater on this forum...

http://www.letsgowin...e/#entry2370462

First one top mention him....

Yeah yeah.  FWIW, I typically (TYPICALLY) actually enjoy reading your posts.  But when it's all Franzine this and Franzine that...well, you get it.  I hope.  I know you don't always bring it up, but you're always there and the one I notice the most, maybe because I actually pay attention to your posts, sometimes.  I know there are others, but we are talking about you.  :)  Oh, and quit liking my posts that are about you!  It's not supposed to work like that.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#59 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Brunner gets much more power play time than Datsyuk did and plays with better linemates; for much of Datsyuk's rookie season, he was paired with Devereaux and Dandenault. That said, I agree that Brunner has a lot of potential, and he brings good things to the team.

It wasn't meant to be a comparison as much as it was just to show how he is doing so far, he may be going through a scoring drought but he is still getting assists and he's working hard, he still is by far our best "rookie"

#60 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah yeah.  FWIW, I typically (TYPICALLY) actually enjoy reading your posts.  But when it's all Franzine this and Franzine that...well, you get it.  I hope.  I know you don't always bring it up, but you're always there and the one I notice the most, maybe because I actually pay attention to your posts, sometimes.  I know there are others, but we are talking about you.  :)  Oh, and quit liking my posts that are about you!  It's not supposed to work like that.

:lol: You know what they say!

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!