• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyquistfan14

Nyquist reassigned to GR

Rate this topic

is time running out with Nyquist? he turns 24 this year, has played at GR for a couple of years now, several more in college, and he can't take/keep a job with the big club. Clearly babs wants bigger players playing. Which is why Cleary keeps getting time, Andersson is staying, Abby on a top line, and tatar/Nyquist are wearing out their cars driving back and forth between GR and detroit.

"Several more in college"? I think you need a reminder of what several actually means. This is only his 2nd full season of pro hockey & all he has to show for it is:

• A 2 time selection to the AHL all-star game
  • Tied Tatar for the points lead on the team in his first season with 20 less games played
  • Lead the Grifs AND the AHL in scoring in his 2nd season
  • Lead the Grifs in points per game both years
  • Lead the team in PPGs both seasons

Just a sampling, but no, not running out of time. Give him another off season of working out to continue to bulk up plus a full training camp & exhibition season and he'll be on the team full time starting next season. If not for the lockout, he probably would have been a full-timer this season.

"Several more in college"? I think you need a reminder of what several actually means. This is only his 2nd full season of pro hockey & all he has to show for it is:

• A 2 time selection to the AHL all-star game
  • Tied Tatar for the points lead on the team in his first season with 20 less games played
  • Lead the Grifs AND the AHL in scoring in his 2nd season
  • Lead the Grifs in points per game both years
  • Lead the team in PPGs both seasons

Just a sampling, but no, not running out of time. Give him another off season of working out to continue to bulk up plus a full training camp & exhibition season and he'll be on the team full time starting next season. If not for the lockout, he probably would have been a full-timer this season.

Fact: ogreslayer likes facts. You know, the kind of thing thats hard to argue with.

I am astounded by all the Nyquist hate i've been hearing lately. This kid leads the AHL in scoring in his second pro year. He's extremely talented. If anything this kid is held back because of Babcock's ever strange player fascinations...seeing as he isn't one of them. To whoever said that Tatar and Nyquist arent NHL ready...lets trade them to another team and see if they play in the NHL. My money is that they would both be playing full time in the NHL and with the way theyve played this year, they should be playing here too. They arent because we have too many forwards, too many over the hill veterans that have job security. If it actually went by who deserves the spots, Andersson, Tatar, and Nyquist would all be starting and any of Cleary, Samuelsson, Eaves, or Emmerton would no longer be on this team.

I am astounded by all the Nyquist hate i've been hearing lately. This kid leads the AHL in scoring in his second pro year. He's extremely talented.

I don't think its hate, I just think its concern that he isn't going to be able to translate his undoubted talent into an effective NHL game. His skill level is unquestioned, but all the tricks and dipsy-doodles that he could get away with in college and the AHL don't work against NHL level goalies and defencemen - unless your name starts with "Pav" and ends in "yuk".

Hopefully his taste of the NHL this season and last will make him realise what he needs to do on and off the ice to make it happen in the big league.

Fact: ogreslayer likes facts. You know, the kind of thing thats hard to argue with.

I am astounded by all the Nyquist hate i've been hearing lately. This kid leads the AHL in scoring in his second pro year. He's extremely talented. If anything this kid is held back because of Babcock's ever strange player fascinations...seeing as he isn't one of them. To whoever said that Tatar and Nyquist arent NHL ready...lets trade them to another team and see if they play in the NHL. My money is that they would both be playing full time in the NHL and with the way theyve played this year, they should be playing here too. They arent because we have too many forwards, too many over the hill veterans that have job security. If it actually went by who deserves the spots, Andersson, Tatar, and Nyquist would all be starting and any of Cleary, Samuelsson, Eaves, or Emmerton would no longer be on this team.

What have Eaves and Emmerton done to deserve losing their spots?

I don't think its hate, I just think its concern that he isn't going to be able to translate his undoubted talent into an effective NHL game. His skill level is unquestioned, but all the tricks and dipsy-doodles that he could get away with in college and the AHL don't work against NHL level goalies and defencemen - unless your name starts with "Pav" and ends in "yuk".

Hopefully his taste of the NHL this season and last will make him realise what he needs to do on and off the ice to make it happen in the big league.

I agree with this. If he can add a little more bulk and use his speed to develop more of a 2-way game, he could be a real versatile player for this team.

Again, AHL points mean nothing. Now if he was putting up 2 points per game maybe that would be different. he is small, not real fast, and looks like a 40 point per season guy in the NHL. Those guys are fairly easy to find.

Helm is in, eh? That would be great! Our questions are being answered. What will happen to the kids when we are healthy...Tatar, gone. Nyquist, gone. As soon as Sammy and or Bertuzzi gets back, Andersson...gone...Colaiacovo back, Lashoff....gone...

I don't expect either (Sammy or Bert) to be back to be honest. If they did and I ran the show I'd just waive Dan Cleary.

“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”

“He’s got some skill, he’s obviously a real good player,'' Babcock said. “He’s led everywhere he’s ever played in scoring. The problem with the NHL is you have to come up and grab hold of something.

“We called Andy up for a game. He’s still playing, just because he grabbed hold of something. That’s what Gus has to do.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._nyquis_2.html

“We sent him to Peoria to play the game last night, gave him a six-hour bus ride,'' coach Mike Babcock said. “Let him sleep for a bit and we’ll let him play tonight, see how mentally tough he is. That’s all part of the training to be a Red Wing.”

“He’s got some skill, he’s obviously a real good player,'' Babcock said. “He’s led everywhere he’s ever played in scoring. The problem with the NHL is you have to come up and grab hold of something.

“We called Andy up for a game. He’s still playing, just because he grabbed hold of something. That’s what Gus has to do.''

I was at the game in Peoria last night and he did not exactly look like he was giving a full out 100% effort (then again the Griffins played pretty poorly overall). Maybe he knew he would get recalled and tried to conserve some energy, but who knows.

You're not tough until you play 3 games in 2 days with combined 12 hours on a bus and only 2 showers!!!! You gotta grab a hold on that 3rd shower if you want it. :lol:

Guest Crymson

You gotta grab a hold on that 3rd shower if you want it. :lol:

I'll spare you the obligatory prison joke.