• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

Ladislav Smid

Rate this topic

Smid+Smith. Should be a good addition.

Smid skates well and plays physical.

I would prefer a first pairing of kronwall-smid, he would open up space for kronwall to be more like the Kronwall of years past. Then Ericsson-Smith for a good second pairing

From all accounts, it sounds like Edmonton really wants to re-sign the guy and isn't high on trading him. This means the price will likely be high if another team is dead set on getting him. They'll move Whitney, or (depending on their health) Fistric/Sutton before they move Smid.

From all accounts, it sounds like Edmonton really wants to re-sign the guy and isn't high on trading him. This means the price will likely be high if another team is dead set on getting him. They'll move Whitney, or (depending on their health) Fistric/Sutton before they move Smid.

Just because Edmonton may want to re-sign him, does not mean he wants to re-sign. So their best bet would be to move him if he tells them he won't re-sign, and they know the wings would PROBABLY give up a first round pick for him, so you never know

Just because Edmonton may want to re-sign him, does not mean he wants to re-sign. So their best bet would be to move him if he tells them he won't re-sign, and they know the wings would PROBABLY give up a first round pick for him, so you never know

I'm certainly not saying that he won't move, just re-hashing what I have read. I would actually hope Holland WOULDN'T dump a first rounder for Smid... I think part of the reason he sent one for Quincey, was because Quincey was slated to become an RFA and the Wings could get atleast another year out of him. Smid is scheduled to become a UFA, and there is no guarantee that he would want to re-sign with the Wings either...

I'm certainly not saying that he won't move, just re-hashing what I have read. I would actually hope Holland WOULDN'T dump a first rounder for Smid... I think part of the reason he sent one for Quincey, was because Quincey was slated to become an RFA and the Wings could get atleast another year out of him. Smid is scheduled to become a UFA, and there is no guarantee that he would want to re-sign with the Wings either...

that's true, my thinking was smid is IMO better then quincey and we threw a first rounder for him, so why not smid, but the rfa/ufa logic makes sense

that's true, my thinking was smid is IMO better then quincey and we threw a first rounder for him, so why not smid, but the rfa/ufa logic makes sense

I guess what it would come down to... Would paying the price to acquire Smid to be a rental for the rest of the season make the Wings that much better? Better enough to make whatever that price is, worth it?

I would hate to see Holland send a 1st rounder for Smid, then see the Wings go down in the first round again. Then, they face the realistic possibility of Smid walking and still not having a 1st rounder.

I guess what it would come down to... Would paying the price to acquire Smid to be a rental for the rest of the season make the Wings that much better? Better enough to make whatever that price is, worth it?

I would hate to see Holland send a 1st rounder for Smid, then see the Wings go down in the first round again. Then, they face the realistic possibility of Smid walking and still not having a 1st rounder.

Especially in a deep draft, it should be a conditional 2013/2014 pick. If Smid does not re-sign with us then it turns into a 3rd round pick

Especially in a deep draft, it should be a conditional 2013/2014 pick. If Smid does not re-sign with us then it turns into a 3rd round pick

That would be a good course of action.

For Smid's sake, he'd be dumb not to hit the UFA market this summer. As one of the few quality Dmen available this summer, he stands to get a pretty good raise and/or could pretty much pick his new adress. The UFA market is going to once again be pretty thin on D.

Edited by DSM

That would be a good course of action.

For Smid's sake, he'd be dumb not to hit the UFA market this summer. As one of the few quality Dmen available this summer, he stands to get a pretty good raise and/or could pretty much pick his new adress. The UFA market is going to once again be pretty thin on D.

Ya I could see him fetching 5-6mil on an open market

Maybe. But that would be MASSIVE overpayment for a shot-blocking shutdown D-man.

Volchenkov money (4.25M) would be ballpark for Smid.

I couldn't agree more, but with a thin talent pool in the free market again this year for dmen, you can expect massive overpayment of 5-6 mil for him from desperate enough teams. It's a good time for ufa dmen

Yeah it really is going to come down to the FA class, if it's slim on defenders he will collect more money overall. As Jusek mentioned above, he's always in the upper ranks for defensemen in hitting and blocked shots, in the company of guys like Dan Girardi and Brooks Orpik.

Guest Crymson

Edmonton has no reason to let him go. They'll only deal him if he makes it clear that he will not re-sign AND if they are out of the playoff hunt. And if they deal him, you'd better believe that a team will pay out the arse to get him. It won't be worth it for the Wings.

Yeah it really is going to come down to the FA class, if it's slim on defenders he will collect more money overall. As Jusek mentioned above, he's always in the upper ranks for defensemen in hitting and blocked shots, in the company of guys like Dan Girardi and Brooks Orpik.

... both of whom are having tough seasons.

Anyway, don't forget that the Oilers, for all the flak they get, are only two points out of 8th at the moment. Every team in the west has a chance to make the playoffs as things stand. The last five games of the season should be crazy.

I wouldn't pay very much for him. He's a great defensive D-man but our lackluster scoring is a bigger problem lately. If we can add Smid for a true third-rounder or a conditional pick, fine. If not, then forget about it. We need to add something, though. We can't sit by and watch while everyone around us gets better.

I wouldn't pay very much for him. He's a great defensive D-man but our lackluster scoring is a bigger problem lately. If we can add Smid for a true third-rounder or a conditional pick, fine. If not, then forget about it. We need to add something, though. We can't sit by and watch while everyone around us gets better.

I would pay for him in a heartbeat, considering that they have been lacking a true shutdown defender this season. Even Stuart started slowing down so they've really been lacking one for a couple of seasons. We need to look at both sides of the coin. We have a decent offensive defense core. Some guys need to be shuffled around and overall health has been the biggest issue in my opinion. See how the league breaks down as far as defensive scoring:

Mon - 79 points

Pitt - 72

Chi - 66

Wpg - 65

LA and Tor - 62

Ott - 61

Stl - 59

Car - 54

Anah and TB and Van - 53

Min - 52

Phx - 51

Det - 49

Cal and NYR - 48

Clbs and NYI - 47

Bos and Phi - 46

Fla and Nsh - 45

Dal and SJ and Wash - 43

NJ - 41

Buf - 40

Edm - 37

Col - 32

The Wings land right in the middle as far as this goes. I'd like to see us either stick with what we got while adding a defensive piece like Smid, or go out and trade for both an offensive d-man (Bouwmeester, Campbell, Yandle, etc) and a defensive guy (Smid, Regehr, etc).

I firmly believe that Brendan Smith will be a 40 point player once he becomes a little more comfortable, he has the potential. He would be our missing offensive d-man to help catapult us into the upper echelon of defensive scoring teams. Again, though, we still need to make sure we're protecting the defensive zone and someone like Smid could give us something we desperately need: consistent defensive pressure.

Guest Crymson

The Wings land right in the middle as far as this goes. I'd like to see us either stick with what we got while adding a defensive piece like Smid, or go out and trade for both an offensive d-man (Bouwmeester, Campbell, Yandle, etc) and a defensive guy (Smid, Regehr, etc).

And pay out the arse? No thanks. Bouwmeester would command a large price and is not worth the cap hit; Campbell is assuredly not worth his giant cap hit; Phoenix has no reason to move Yandle (for reasons both practical and financial) unless given a hugely advantageous package; Edmonton will very likely refuse to trade Smid; and Regehr is absolutely not the player he once was.

It's just not that easy.

Edited by Crymson

Nothing against Smid, but I like our D. We have 6 good D now-when healthy, and more on the way. If dekeyser signs and i think he will, we are 12 deep with D that are here or will be over the next 1.5 years. D is a position of strength in the organization. So if we get Smid for cheap as a rental-Quincey being hurt, that works. But not picks, we need more of those!