1:17 & 1:19 are things of beauty.

Posted Image

#22 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I wouldn't pay very much for him. He's a great defensive D-man but our lackluster scoring is a bigger problem lately. If we can add Smid for a true third-rounder or a conditional pick, fine. If not, then forget about it. We need to add something, though. We can't sit by and watch while everyone around us gets better.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#23 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I wouldn't pay very much for him. He's a great defensive D-man but our lackluster scoring is a bigger problem lately. If we can add Smid for a true third-rounder or a conditional pick, fine. If not, then forget about it. We need to add something, though. We can't sit by and watch while everyone around us gets better.

I would pay for him in a heartbeat, considering that they have been lacking a true shutdown defender this season.  Even Stuart started slowing down so they've really been lacking one for a couple of seasons.  We need to look at both sides of the coin.  We have a decent offensive defense core.  Some guys need to be shuffled around and overall health has been the biggest issue in my opinion.  See how the league breaks down as far as defensive scoring:

Mon - 79 points

Pitt - 72

Chi - 66

Wpg - 65

LA and Tor - 62

Ott - 61

Stl - 59

Car - 54

Anah and TB and Van - 53

Min - 52

Phx - 51

Det - 49

Cal and NYR - 48

Clbs and NYI - 47

Bos and Phi - 46

Fla and Nsh - 45

Dal and SJ and Wash - 43

NJ - 41

Buf - 40

Edm - 37

Col - 32

The Wings land right in the middle as far as this goes.  I'd like to see us either stick with what we got while adding a defensive piece like Smid, or go out and trade for both an offensive d-man (Bouwmeester, Campbell, Yandle, etc) and a defensive guy (Smid, Regehr, etc).  

I firmly believe that Brendan Smith will be a 40 point player once he becomes a little more comfortable, he has the potential.  He would be our missing offensive d-man to help catapult us into the upper echelon of defensive scoring teams.  Again, though, we still need to make sure we're protecting the defensive zone and someone like Smid could give us something we desperately need: consistent defensive pressure.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

The Wings land right in the middle as far as this goes.  I'd like to see us either stick with what we got while adding a defensive piece like Smid, or go out and trade for both an offensive d-man (Bouwmeester, Campbell, Yandle, etc) and a defensive guy (Smid, Regehr, etc). 

And pay out the arse? No thanks. Bouwmeester would command a large price and is not worth the cap hit; Campbell is assuredly not worth his giant cap hit; Phoenix has no reason to move Yandle (for reasons both practical and financial) unless given a hugely advantageous package; Edmonton will very likely refuse to trade Smid; and Regehr is absolutely not the player he once was.

It's just not that easy.

Edited by Crymson, 20 March 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#25 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Nothing against Smid, but I like our D. We have 6 good D now-when healthy, and more on the way. If dekeyser signs and i think he will, we are 12 deep with D that are here or will be over the next 1.5 years. D is a position of strength in the organization. So if we get Smid for cheap as a rental-Quincey being hurt, that works. But not picks, we need more of those!

#26 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Nothing against Smid, but I like our D. We have 6 good D now-when healthy, and more on the way. If dekeyser signs and i think he will, we are 12 deep with D that are here or will be over the next 1.5 years. D is a position of strength in the organization. So if we get Smid for cheap as a rental-Quincey being hurt, that works. But not picks, we need more of those!

12 deep? White is done after this season, Huskins is done after this season, smith and kindl are both RFA's at the end of the year. 

So by my count IF Dekeyser signs, kindl and Smith re-sign with us then that brings us to 8, EVEN IF for whatever reason you include Ouellet and Sproul (who are unproven) that is 10

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

12 deep? White is done after this season, Huskins is done after this season, smith and kindl are both RFA's at the end of the year. 

So by my count IF Dekeyser signs, kindl and Smith re-sign with us then that brings us to 8, EVEN IF for whatever reason you include Ouellet and Sproul (who are unproven) that is 10

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Lashoff-Quincey

Dekeyser-Nicastro

Oullett-Sproul

DeHaas-merchenko

That is 12 that are here now or will be ready over the next 2 years. people ***** about "over rippening" let will not let the kids play. or if we trade it is ***** about giving away youth. On and on and on. Right now the top 6 are good and will get better. Only Kronwall is over 29. The next 6 are all 22 or younger. All are 6-2 or taller-except kronwall. 3 are RHed shooters as well. All of the young guys have size, speed, skill. No need to Smid long term.

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Lashoff-Quincey

Dekeyser-Nicastro

Oullett-Sproul

DeHaas-merchenko

That is 12 that are here now or will be ready over the next 2 years. people ***** about "over rippening" let will not let the kids play. or if we trade it is ***** about giving away youth. On and on and on. Right now the top 6 are good and will get better. Only Kronwall is over 29. The next 6 are all 22 or younger. All are 6-2 or taller-except kronwall. 3 are RHed shooters as well. All of the young guys have size, speed, skill. No need to Smid long term.

There is a difference between over ripening and having an entire team of young kids, look at edmonton. Nicastro, DeHaas and Merchenko are very much un proven at the nhl level, Dekeyser may not sign with us, and Oullet and Sproul may not be what we anticipate earlier, your theory however much enticing is based on a lot of things going right, and you missed Colaiacovo in there, he is signed this year and next

#29 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

There is a difference between over ripening and having an entire team of young kids, look at edmonton. Nicastro, DeHaas and Merchenko are very much un proven at the nhl level, Dekeyser may not sign with us, and Oullet and Sproul may not be what we anticipate earlier, your theory however much enticing is based on a lot of things going right, and you missed Colaiacovo in there, he is signed this year and next

i understand that. You never know how prospects will turn out. But we have 6 good Dman now, noit including Cola, all signed for 1 more year or will be soon. I just don't see the need for a guy like Smid. Now if we were picking up a true #1, ok that would be different.

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Edmonton is a bit of a special case.

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Edmonton is a bit of a special case.

Maybe so, but how far off are we of that? Our defense is very young now, and our forwards are only getting younger