• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Holland with Micky/Kenny...

Rate this topic

Ok, Late saturday nite during the game Holland was on with Micky/kenny. I am not one to put a lot of stock in public interviews by GM's. After all, what do we expect? Him to lay out his strategy for the whole world to see/react to?

But Holland did say some things that make me cringe. For the second time over the last 6 months, Holland talked about Sammy being a big guy. Yes, he is tech. 6-2/215. But he Holland ever watched him play? He might as well be 5-8/160. he doesn't use it. At the same time he was talking about how sammy is bigm, he mentioned Bert. Depending on 37 year old guys-that are hurt is just stupid. Sorry Holland, but this is dumb. You know it is and yet you say this stuff. STOP!!!!!!!!

Some blast Holland for his life long man love for undersized pass first Euro players. But he has brought in enough size. the problem is, he has brought in/keep the wrong guys. Bert, Franzen, Sammy, and Abby all have decent/good size. But all are flawed as players. Be it they are old, broken down, lazy, lack skill, whatever.

One last rant for the day.... Abby-listed at 6-1/215 and Andersson 6-2/205 are not big players. They are league average players. The last survey I saw was from 2008. In 2008 the NHL average was 6-1.5/206 for all players. Even know power forwards like Clarkson-whom I hope to see in a winged wheel this summer, is only average size for the league. Clarkson is listed as 6-1/200. He is the opposite of Franzen and Sammy though, he plays much bigger than he is.

I saw the interview and mentioned in during the GDT when it had happened. I think he brought up his normal, what's he's been discussing recently, stuff up and elaborated alittle. I said this in the GDT also, and someone made reference of it, but I don't think it got enough attention. Abby is playing the role Bert has for Pasha, that's why Pasha loves it. I really think Pavel is missing Bert because he does what Abby does, and produces it while doing so. I can see Bert and Pavel having that weird connection witin the locker room and having that friendship bond. Bert is stern, to himself, and has his joking side. Pavel is quiet, to himself, and has his joking side. They love shootouts, mimic each others moves, and try to one up each other. They've had numerous celebration hugs together and generally look to be a little man couple. Bert produces with Pavel, and does a good job while doing it. That's why Pavel likes Abby, at least in my opinion.

Holland is completely right about everything he's said this season. Separation in the standings is what is going to cause trade deadline activity, unfortunately there isn't much because there isn't separation within the standings. He wants to be a buyer, not a seller come deadline time. Acquiring Helmer before the deadline is the best move they can logically make right now, and that's the truth. There is 0 moves out there, or better moves, like getting Helmer back. I agree with Babcock when he labels Helmer has the best 3rd line center in this league, or atleast in my opinion top 3. There ISN'T a move better than acquiring one of the best 3rd line centers in this league, with nothing coming out of it within your end. We acquire an outstanding bottom 6 center, while doing nothing to our pipeline. You can't beat that.

For all the Sammy hate, I still don't understand it. He's played in all of 3 games this season. The first 2 games of the season, which everyone and their mother was horrible in and then when he returned from his injury. I still don't know a player who could possibly come into a season, play in mid-season form, get injured and and then magically come into the season "mid-season" form. The guy hasn't even STARTED his season yet. He hasn't gotten his legs under neath him. I don't care who you are, you sure aren't going to play mid-season form within the first 2 games. Then you get injured, and come back (people magically think he's going to be mid-season form from that injury) play a single game and get injured again. We can't even evaluate how he's going to be within this system.

I was angry that I missed this interview. I watched the game, but it was at the bar and they were blasting music instead of the game. One of the TV's had subtitles on, but it was too far away for me to read it. I would've walked over to see what it said, but I was on purse watching duty while my G/F and her friends were dancing... :facepalm:

I agree with the above statement. Making no moves at the deadline would probably benefit this team. It's looking like there isn't going to be very many sellers, which means that prices are going to go up, and bidding wars are going to happen. I'd rather Holland hang onto the Wings depth and young players. Plus, depending on where the Wings finish, they could have decent footing in the first round of what they are saying will be a deep draft.

I did make out part of the interview where Holland said that Samuelssons size will help against the East. This I can also disagree with. While Samuelsson has good size, his liberal use of this size will not help against the bigger and more physical teams in the East.

It's not so much that Sammy and Tuzzi play big and hit a lot, is that their more adept on the cycle holding guys off with their bigger frames. That's the main reason they last in the top 6 is that they're hard to get the puck off of. That's also one of the main things that Nyquist needs to get better at to be more effective at the NHL level. Sammy and Tuzzi are also .5 ppg players and that's not too bad. They're both likely on their last contract with the Wings too, and if Tuzzi wants to retire cause of his back then Holland can use an amnesty buyout and not feel bad about it.

It's not so much that Sammy and Tuzzi play big and hit a lot, is that their more adept on the cycle holding guys off with their bigger frames. That's the main reason they last in the top 6 is that they're hard to get the puck off of. That's also one of the main things that Nyquist needs to get better at to be more effective at the NHL level. Sammy and Tuzzi are also .5 ppg players and that's not too bad. They're both likely on their last contract with the Wings too, and if Tuzzi wants to retire cause of his back then Holland can use an amnesty buyout and not feel bad about it.

If Bertuzzi wants to retire, I doubt they would use an amnesty buyout on him. If he's still hurting, they could just keep him on LTIR all season and still have an amnesty buyout if they need it next summer. Plus, if he is legitimately still hurt, the NHLPA won't allow the Wings to buy him out.

If Bertuzzi wants to retire, I doubt they would use an amnesty buyout on him. If he's still hurting, they could just keep him on LTIR all season and still have an amnesty buyout if they need it next summer. Plus, if he is legitimately still hurt, the NHLPA won't allow the Wings to buy him out.

I'm not sure if we could bury him on LTIR until his contract expires since he's on a 35+ contract. It came up in the Bert thread and i'm not sure anyone found out what happened in those cases.

I'm not sure if we could bury him on LTIR until his contract expires since he's on a 35+ contract. It came up in the Bert thread and i'm not sure anyone found out what happened in those cases.

Chris Pronger is on a 35+ contract, isn't he on LTIR in Philly?

Chris Pronger is on a 35+ contract, isn't he on LTIR in Philly?

Yes, he is. We were more wondering if you can bury them in LTIR, and get cap relief. Due to 35+ contracts always getting the cap hit, yes, we still would have his cap hit next year. I think what more or less people were wondering, and myself, was with a 35+ contract on LTIR, can you still exceed the cap by that players cap hit? or no? If we buried him on LTIR, it would be useless if we can't use his cap space still. Might as well use a buy-out then.

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, I'm sure he's enjoying the constant headaches, balance issues, memory loss, depression and all the other fun stuff that comes with Post Concussion syndrome

Yes, he is. We were more wondering if you can bury them in LTIR, and get cap relief. Due to 35+ contracts always getting the cap hit, yes, we still would have his cap hit next year. I think what more or less people were wondering, and myself, was with a 35+ contract on LTIR, can you still exceed the cap by that players cap hit? or no? If we buried him on LTIR, it would be useless if we can't use his cap space still. Might as well use a buy-out then.

Sounds like you can still exceed the cap. It's explained here: http://flyersfaithful.com/2012/06/18/cba-101-part-5-long-term-injured-reserve/

Also if you look at Capgeek, Philly is at the moment over the cap by $566k. This number is reflected in the "Projected LTIR" section on Philly's page.

Guest Playmaker

Fixed it for you :P

Well, you can unfix it. I find nothing funny about anyone suffering a life altering injury. If you do, you need your head examined.

Well, you can unfix it. I find nothing funny about anyone suffering a life altering injury. If you do, you need your head examined.

I am not mocking his injury, I am joking around though, maybe you should lighten up a bit. If it was me who was injured I would not mind people making light of it. Trust me it is better then being babied all the time. When I did have an injury I found it much easier to deal with when people would joke about it, then people constantly saying "are you ok?" "be careful" "don't hurt yourself"

im thinking rather than adding players we should trade some and get some picks back , no way in hell do i wanna trade our first round pick when theres still a chance we can miss the playoffs and potentially get a top 10 pick

If fillpula wants 5 million a year then we should try and ship him for a first round pick.... calgary might just be stupid enough to trade us there pick( i doubt it but the way they been running there team who knows )trade ian white and bottom guys like miller,emmerton they have no future here with the young kids coming up next few years

im thinking rather than adding players we should trade some and get some picks back , no way in hell do i wanna trade our first round pick when theres still a chance we can miss the playoffs and potentially get a top 10 pick

If fillpula wants 5 million a year then we should try and ship him for a first round pick.... calgary might just be stupid enough to trade us there pick( i doubt it but the way they been running there team who knows )trade ian white and bottom guys like miller,emmerton they have no future here with the young kids coming up next few years

Feaster might do some questionalble things here and there, but I doubt he's stupid enough to waste a first round pick on a player that is an impending UFA when his team is probably not going to make the playoffs.

This team is still in position to make the playoffs, why would Holland dump off depth by trading away Miller, White or Emmerton? None of them would even fetch anything in return. Not very smart. Besides, White and Miller are going to be UFA's this summer.

I got a shiver down my spine when Kenny said that "although, getting Darren Helm and Mike Samuelsson back would be like our deadline acquisitions...." Ugh...I know it makes sense and IS like getting someone new, but Geezus Kenny, think of a new way to describe it!

Kenny quotes I am tired of:

"We kicked the tires" and "getting <player> back is our deadline acquisition...."

I don't mind that he has to do just that, but please find a different way to say it.....PLEASE!

Feaster might do some questionalble things here and there, but I doubt he's stupid enough to waste a first round pick on a player that is an impending UFA when his team is probably not going to make the playoffs.

This team is still in position to make the playoffs, why would Holland dump off depth by trading away Miller, White or Emmerton? None of them would even fetch anything in return. Not very smart. Besides, White and Miller are going to be UFA's this summer.

teams are looking to pick up ufa's at the deadline, they dont want longterm commitment to players and white and miller wont be coming back so we might as well get something back while we can and i cant see emmerton lasting long with andersson and tatar coming back next year and guys like sheahan soon , we got a ton of guys that can play in the bottom 6

No GM in his right mind would speak out the truth to the media. As a GM part of your job is to keep your cards close and play them when the time is right. So I guess Kenny will look at the team before the trade deadline and then decide if it is better to be buyers or sellers. Personally I hope they are going to sell, a view first round and second round picks in a deep draft might be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Detroit Red Wings.

Miller, White, Emmerton, Kindl are all FA's come summer. Unfortunately if Holland trades them they will only bring back picks. I cannot see a bundle trade involving any of these guys that will bring us a player in return. You have to start talking Nyquist, Filpulla, Franzia, Tatar and players like them if you want a player in return... I hope we go after Perry, Ignila, Burrows, Jagr or Morrow.... Not in that order and not all of them of course. I mention Burrows because of their need for a center and we have that available...

No GM in his right mind would speak out the truth to the media. As a GM part of your job is to keep your cards close and play them when the time is right. So I guess Kenny will look at the team before the trade deadline and then decide if it is better to be buyers or sellers. Personally I hope they are going to sell, a view first round and second round picks in a deep draft might be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Detroit Red Wings.

You know, I can agree with you here. I am thinking it doesn't always have to be a player coming back to us in a trade it could be a pick. If Quincey and Gausted are worth 1st round picks to teams in need, then why wouldn't Filppula bring us a 1st round pick from a playoff team in need of a center? Lets say Vancouver needs a center desperately (like they do) and offer Holland their 1st round pick for him? It may be a 25 or higher pick, but couple that with our (what may be) 25 or lower pick and we have two great players right there... What if Anaheim offered a 2nd for him, then Vancouver felt the need to outbid Anaheim? We could always stockpile high picks this year and go for a UFA come summer.

(I know Q filed arbitration so he couldn't have been offered a sheet from someone else, but it sure would have been nice to see him go somewhere else for his $3.75M and get that 1st and 3rd in return! Imagine that! If we got those picks for him, then traded Fil for a 1st, we'd have 3 1st rounders, and 2 3rd rounders....nice! I will settle for 2 1st's!)

Edited by LeftWinger

Miller, White, Emmerton, Kindl are all FA's come summer. Unfortunately if Holland trades them they will only bring back picks. I cannot see a bundle trade involving any of these guys that will bring us a player in return. You have to start talking Nyquist, Filpulla, Franzia, Tatar and players like them if you want a player in return... I hope we go after Perry, Ignila, Burrows, Jagr or Morrow.... Not in that order and not all of them of course. I mention Burrows because of their need for a center and we have that available...

Not sure where you looked, but Emmerton is still under contract for next season...

If Holland wants to go after Perry, Iginla, Jagr or Morrow, he can do it when they become UFA's. Even as rental's, they will all be expensive at the deadline and there's no guarantee that they would re-sign with the Wings, which unless they won the Cup would be a complete waste.

Not sure where you looked, but Emmerton is still under contract for next season...

If Holland wants to go after Perry, Iginla, Jagr or Morrow, he can do it when they become UFA's. Even as rental's, they will all be expensive at the deadline and there's no guarantee that they would re-sign with the Wings, which unless they won the Cup would be a complete waste.

Oops, brain fart....I knew that...Thanks for keeping me in check! :)