• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

There is going to be a pretty gross overpayment for stars thats for sure.  The NHLPA warned this would happen.  The stars will get all the cash while the rest will go to scrubs.  There won't be much of a middle class in hockey thats for sure.  If Dats and Z were up for contract renewals today, they would sign for $8 million per year each easily.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

With the term limit on contracts and the rules against front or back end loading deals contracts like that will become the norm for Elite players.

Still, the Ducks are going to be praying the cap only drops for next season and then starts creeping back up to its current level or they're going to have trouble keeping their next wave of Free Agents.

And with this shortened season bringing in less revenue, who knows how that's gonna impact the cap after next season.  Either way, these big money long term signings may come back to bite a few GM's

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Means that Bobby Ryan just became the odd-man out. 

Good point.

Ok, re-sign Val right now and get Selanne this summer!  Now they can play together!

Filppula - Datsyuk - Selanne

Not a bad idea.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

They will be fine cap-wise.  This is the new NHL.  Massive bucks for a handful of good players, fill the rest with scrubs.  Like it or not, this also means superstars will become even LESS likely to hit the open market, and harder to trade because of their cap hits.  I'm betting teams will be signing a lot more undrafted talent like Brunner in an attempt to get around this.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#45 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Not surprising at all.

I think this signing speaks volumes for the credibility of "trade speculation". Just yesterday, a whole bunch of trade sites were talking about how Perry was "getting homesick" and wanted to be closer to Ontario. The next day he re-signs... It was probably a load of bull Krupp, like a lot of other "trade speculation".

That being said, I doubt anyone should get their hopes up about Bobby Ryan being moved. He's not going anywhere...

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Not surprising at all.

I think this signing speaks volumes for the credibility of "trade speculation". Just yesterday, a whole bunch of trade sites were talking about how Perry was "getting homesick" and wanted to be closer to Ontario. The next day he re-signs... It was probably a load of bull Krupp, like a lot of other "trade speculation".

That being said, I doubt anyone should get their hopes up about Bobby Ryan being moved. He's not going anywhere...

Finally the Perry pipedreams can stop now. Perry is a very introverted guy he doesn't like the spotlight, so Anaheim is a good place for him and his girlfriend, so I am happy for him. I am wondering, how Getzlaf feels about this deal, Perry is now making more than him?

This doesn't mean Ryan will be avaiable, the Ducks do have some guys of the books soon and the cap will be going up soon which will leave them with enough money to re-sign him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#47 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Not surprised at all. They are winning, had the money, and Perry is one of the best in the game. You just can't let 27 year old stars walk. he will be all of 35 when his contract expires. The new CBA made it easier for teams to keep their own players, they can sign them for 8 vs everyone else only going to 7. Big difference.

#48 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Finally the Perry pipedreams can stop now. Perry is a very introverted guy he doesn't like the spotlight, so Anaheim is a good place for him and his girlfriend, so I am happy for him. I am wondering, how Getzlaf feels about this deal, Perry is now making more than him?

This doesn't mean Ryan will be avaiable, the Ducks do have some guys of the books soon and the cap will be going up soon which will leave them with enough money to re-sign him.

Seriously. Although all of the proposed NHL13 trades consisting of Filppula and your choice of (Cleary, White, Miller, Emmerton, Abdelkader, Quincey, Kindl, Franzen, Samuelsson, sign/trade Lebda) were getting pretty entertaining...

I agree on Ryan. If Bob Murray finds himself in a cap crunch, he has a lot of option before he has to trade away Ryan. Namely:

-Let Lydman and/or Koivu walk

-Trade Hiller and/or Bryan Allen

Actually depending on how Fasth finishes the season, Hiller could be the easiest to move. Florida, Tampa Bay and Winnipeg might be looking for a 'tender this summer, and the UFA market really won't be providing any quality starters.

#49 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

He's not exactly a perennial 50 goal scorer. Overpayment for sure. Even if the Ducks want to spend right up to the cap limit they'll have trouble filling out their bottom 9 with much more than scrubs.

Yeah, I've heard this in the past on here with talk of how Chicago and Pittsburgh would have trouble filling out a roster.  So far, I haven't seen it hampering either team too much. 

#50 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

What's this, what's this? The the owners are "overpaying" on contracts? Quell surprise. 

Anaheim is the new Pittsburgh Chicago Los Angeles.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#51 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

They will be fine cap-wise.  This is the new NHL.  Massive bucks for a handful of good players, fill the rest with scrubs.  Like it or not, this also means superstars will become even LESS likely to hit the open market, and harder to trade because of their cap hits.  I'm betting teams will be signing a lot more undrafted talent like Brunner in an attempt to get around this.

I agree and I think it's the teams who can get the most out of their bottom 6 at the right price who will succeed. Seems like most teams will have a capable top 6.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#52 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Good deal. I never thought he'd look good in red. Datsyuk needs someone to beat on every decade, or so, anyway.  :boxing:

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#53 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Holland must of low balled Perry. Holland fails again to sign someone way over what they are worth. To be honest I think it's all the fault of one which will not be named. He's done this and has ruined the league.

• DSM likes this
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#54 Gary.Bettman

Gary.Bettman

Commisioner of YOUR NHL!!

• 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

hillbillywingsfan, I am sorry that you feel the resigning of Corey Perry is my doing.  You shoudl know that I was pressing for him to join the Pittsburgh Penguins, so he could play with and protect the Face of the League ™  I called Ray Shero and Mario Lemieux 16 times in the past few days, to no avail.

#55 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

What is an overpayment anymore?  

#56 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

hillbillywingsfan, I am sorry that you feel the resigning of Corey Perry is my doing.  You shoudl know that I was pressing for him to join the Pittsburgh Penguins, so he could play with and protect the Face of the League ™  I called Ray Shero and Mario Lemieux 16 times in the past few days, to no avail.

Damn, I should have registered this account.  :D

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#57 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Not surprising at all.

Based on Perry's own words, he did consider going UFA to either the Leafs or Wings for the very reason of being closer to home, so maybe that speculation was closer to home than you give credit for:

http://www.torontosu..._medium=twitter

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

What is an overpayment anymore?  

Kyle+Quincey+Colorado+Avalanche+v+Detroi

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Good. The fake tough guy can stay out in the west, where we only have to see him once a year beginning next year.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's also nice to put to rest the speculation of us signing him like some have mentioned.

Including myself. :P

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM.