• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

if he hits july 1 the redwings have to go after clarkson at any cost, hed be a perfect fit and the type of player the wings need in the top 6

id rather give him 4.5-5 per year than filppula

#2 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would like Clarkson too. I do think most teams will be making him an offer is he makes it to free agency.

Would you rather have Clarkson at $4.5m/yr for six years or Clowe at 3m/yr for three years?

#3 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I would like Clarkson too. I do think most teams will be making him an offer is he makes it to free agency.

Would you rather have Clarkson at $4.5m/yr for six years or Clowe at 3m/yr for three years?

clowe would probably get 4-4.5 ... id rather get clarkson but id go for both , we need big bodies that arent old men like bertuzzi and samuelsson especially now that were gonna be with boston .... it we get clarkson and clowe our forwards would be one of the top 5 in the nhl (course we'd have to fix our defence)

#4 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,799 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Either or works pretty good for me. Going into a division with Boston, Toronto and Montreal we gotta beef up a bit especially with Bertuzzi's future in doubt. Clarkson (if he makes it to UFA) would be my first choice, he's a 30 goal scorer with Elias/Zajac/Henrique. He could easily push 40 with Datsyuk or Zetterberg and he's tough as nails so that helps. Clowe would be a great back-up plan, having a rough go of it this year in San Jose but has proven himself to be a big tough physical top 6 winger with 20-30 goal potential. But again, who knows if either will make it to UFA, or if they're traded before the deadline even.

#NOMOREKINDL

#5 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

clowe would probably get 4-4.5 ... id rather get clarkson but id go for both , we need big bodies that arent old men like bertuzzi and samuelsson especially now that were gonna be with boston .... it we get clarkson and clowe our forwards would be one of the top 5 in the nhl (course we'd have to fix our defence)

The only way Holland should justify giving clowe 4-4.5mil a season is if he shakes off whatever has caused the slump he is in this season. Otherwise that would be a huge risk.

I agree that Clarkson should be high on Hollands UFA shopping list this summer. Another name I wouldn't mind being on the list is Pascal Dupuis.

#6 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't think Clowe will get that much of a raise with his play this year (but I do see him getting over 3m- used the number for discussion). Clowe would be more of a gamble and I don't think he's gets as much interest on the first day of free agency if Clarkson is available. I see Clowe getting 1-1.5m/yr less than Clarkson and a shorter term.

#7 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

The only way Holland should justify giving clowe 4-4.5mil a season is if he shakes off whatever has caused the slump he is in this season. Otherwise that would be a huge risk.

I agree that Clarkson should be high on Hollands UFA shopping list this summer. Another name I wouldn't mind being on the list is Pascal Dupuis.

clowe is having a bad year no doubt but then again he doesnt have an extra 35 games to make up for it and end up with a 20 goal season even if he got 10 the rest of the way, but hes been consistent before this season

I dont like dupuis hes just getting points because of crosby

franzen datsyuk clarkson

clowe zetterberg brunner

andersson helm tatar

cleary abdelkader tootoo

eaves as the extra forward .... i didnt try and check what the cap total could be but that would be an unbelievable forward core in my eyes and we can trade off nyquist in a package for a defensemen and buyout or trade the others like sammy and bert

and yes im well aware that its highly unlikely our team would look like that

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'd like Clarkson or Chris Stewart (who's rumored to be available) over Clowe.  Clowe is garbage and plays like a scumbag.  He's also not really that tough in spite of his size.  Stewart is the baddest of the three, and Clarkson has the best offense, so either of these two are my preference. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#9 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'd like Clarkson or Chris Stewart (who's rumored to be available) over Clowe.  Clowe is garbage and plays like a scumbag.  He's also not really that tough in spite of his size.  Stewart is the baddest of the three, and Clarkson has the best offense, so either of these two are my preference. 

I'd take all three, obviously depending on what the cost would be for Stewart.

It'll be nice for the Red Wings to have some scumbags on the team for when they move East... I sometimes look at the list of potential UFA's and wonder about two names, Cooke and Torres. I often wonder how these so hated players might look adding another solid physical element to bolster their bottom 6 heading in the East... Then I remember that Holland doesn't like to have too many players that know how to finish their checks on this team... :confused:

#10 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I would take any of the three, but IMO Stewart is not the toughest out of the three by a long shot. Stewart has fought Boll, Bollig, etc. but he fights MW's more often than heavyweights. Clarkson is the same. Clowe has fought many more heavyweights than either of them. For better or worse, Clowe also seems to 'get angry' more than Clarkson or Stewart.

What would you be willing to give up for Stewart? I don't see the Blues letting him go for scraps.

#11 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'd take all three, obviously depending on what the cost would be for Stewart.

It'll be nice for the Red Wings to have some scumbags on the team for when they move East... I sometimes look at the list of potential UFA's and wonder about two names, Cooke and Torres. I often wonder how these so hated players might look adding another solid physical element to bolster their bottom 6 heading in the East... Then I remember that Holland doesn't like to have too many players that know how to finish their checks on this team... :confused:

I don't mean scumbag in the semi-positive way that you're thinking.  I agree that tough agitating guys who play on the borderline can be useful.  But with Clowe you're not getting that.  You get a loudmouthed weasel who's essentially a 235 lb. Brad Marchand.

With Chris Stewart you get the same or better offensive capabilities.  Plus you get this...

Edited by kipwinger, 19 March 2013 - 03:42 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#12 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I dont like dupuis hes just getting points because of crosby

Actually, Dupuis put up career numbers last season while Crosby missed 75% of the season with a concussion. Can't always put a players numbers on their linemates, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would love to remind you that Cleary and Abdelkader haven't put up many points while playing with Datsyuk... I only pointed out Dupuis because he is a solid 2-way guy that can play on top lines and produce. Obviously, he wouldn't be someone that would carry the team, but wouldn't be a bad addition depending on cost and who is available.

I  You get a loudmouthed weasel who's essentially a 235 lb. Brad Marchand.

Lol, ok I get what your saying now. I actually like the way Marchand plays... :glare:

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I would take any of the three, but IMO Stewart is not the toughest out of the three by a long shot. Stewart has fought Boll, Bollig, etc. but he fights MW's more often than heavyweights. Clarkson is the same. Clowe has fought many more heavyweights than either of them. For better or worse, Clowe also seems to 'get angry' more than Clarkson or Stewart.

What would you be willing to give up for Stewart? I don't see the Blues letting him go for scraps.

Stewart fights tough dudes, and unlike Clowe's fights (that I've seen) Stewart usually wins.  Considering he's a free agent at the end of the season so you wouldn't have to give too much.  Midling prospect and a 2nd round pick maybe. 

Actually, Dupuis put up career numbers last season while Crosby missed 75% of the season with a concussion. Can't always put a players numbers on their linemates, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would love to remind you that Cleary and Abdelkader haven't put up many points while playing with Datsyuk... I only pointed out Dupuis because he is a solid 2-way guy that can play on top lines and produce. Obviously, he wouldn't be someone that would carry the team, but wouldn't be a bad addition depending on cost and who is available.

Lol, ok I get what your saying now. I actually like the way Marchand plays... :glare:

He's effective, I don't hate him.  But I don't want a guy that's Ryane Clowe's size to play like that.  I want a guy Ryane Clowe's size to play like...Chris Stewart lol. 

#14 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Stewart fights tough dudes, and unlike Clowe's fights (that I've seen) Stewart usually wins.  Considering he's a free agent at the end of the season so you wouldn't have to give too much.  Midling prospect and a 2nd round pick maybe. 

He's effective, I don't hate him.  But I don't want a guy that's Ryane Clowe's size to play like that.  I want a guy Ryane Clowe's size to play like...Chris Stewart lol. 

I don't know that Stewart's RFA status would make him all that affordable. I'm sure the Blues will retain his rights and probably re-sign him.

#15 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I like our team

#16 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I don't know that Stewart's RFA status would make him all that affordable. I'm sure the Blues will retain his rights and probably re-sign him.

Yeah maybe, I don't know.  I just know that a lot of the rumor sites are talking about the Blues moving him.  They've got a ton of toughness on that team but they seem to have a lot of trouble finding offense so maybe they would be willing to move him for some help up front.  Again, I'm just parroting what I'm seeing on the rumor sites. 

#17 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Clarkson is just a poor mans abdelkader that isn't as tough and is older.

Edited by Carman, 19 March 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#18 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah maybe, I don't know.  I just know that a lot of the rumor sites are talking about the Blues moving him.  They've got a ton of toughness on that team but they seem to have a lot of trouble finding offense so maybe they would be willing to move him for some help up front.  Again, I'm just parroting what I'm seeing on the rumor sites. 

ya i saw the same  i put a topic about us maybe going for stewart in the off season because of the rumors but the way hes been scoring lately i just cant see them trading him now

#19 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I've heard those too. I'm all for this team getting tougher, although I doubt it's going to happen. I was at the bar on Saturday night watching the game, and caught the interview between Ken/Mickey and Holland. Mickey asked him about adding some size/grit for playing teams like Boston next season, and Kenny immediately mentioned Samuelsson... I had to order another drink.

#20 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Stewart is an RFA, so he should command at least what the offer-sheet value would give the Blues. It isn't a small amount. He also had a reputation last year of being unmotivated, and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last season.

Stewart is a good MW, but IMO he wouldn't do this well against Engelland (who has beaten Orr, Neil, Shelley, etc.).

Clowe has also had some decisive wins.