• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Another potential UFA that I don't see mentioned a lot on here is Horton. Guy can score goals, has some size, and plays with an edge. Boston might have to let him go so they can get under the cap and have room to re-sign Rask. Any opinions?

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Another thing that makes me think he could be in play is that the Blues have to resign Berglund, Pietrangleo, Shattenkirk, McDonald and D'Agostini in the offseason as well.  That's going to cost a pretty penny and with the cap going down there might be some leverage to facilitate a trade.  Rumors say they're looking for defensemen that can move the puck, and while I doubt a guy like White is high on their list, if he was part of the right package they may take a look. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Another thing that makes me think he could be in play is that the Blues have to resign Berglund, Pietrangleo, Shattenkirk, McDonald and D'Agostini in the offseason as well.  That's going to cost a pretty penny and with the cap going down there might be some leverage to facilitate a trade.  Rumors say they're looking for defensemen that can move the puck, and while I doubt a guy like White is high on their list, if he was part of the right package they may take a look. 

If that's the case, I doubt they would move him till the offseason though, when the Wings probably won't have White anymore.

#24 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

holland+golf.jpg

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#25 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Another potential UFA that I don't see mentioned a lot on here is Horton. Guy can score goals, has some size, and plays with an edge. Boston might have to let him go so they can get under the cap and have room to re-sign Rask. Any opinions?

Since his injury, Horton hasn't been playing with as much of an edge as he has in past years.

I don't know if these numbers are still correct, but the compensation for an offer sheet of ~3.4-5m/yr is a first round pick and a third round pick. I think that would be the starting price for his rights.

#26 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Since his injury, Horton hasn't been playing with as much of an edge as he has in past years.

You're probably right. I based what I said off of watching him during their run to the Cup in 2011, when he got hurt.

#27 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Clowe is playing injured... His value at the moment is low, so it's time to get him.

Clarkson will be nice fit for Dats... Imagine how many he could score playing on Dats line....

Next year:

Clowe - Z - Brunner
Tatar/Nyquist - Dats - Clarkson
Bickell - Helm - Tootoo
Abdelkader - Andersson - Bert

Edited by Dominator2005, 19 March 2013 - 05:24 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#28 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

id take either one clowe or clarkson but not of the expensive of filppula. fil is better than both

#29 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm happy to see people finally get on the David Clarkson bandwagon. I remember people laughed at me a few years ago when I suggested that he had potential to be a legitimate power forward someday.

Anyhow, I wouldn't bank on him being available come July 1st. There's definitely a possibility, but I have to think that Lou will do all he can to keep him in New Jersey.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Stewart fights tough dudes, and unlike Clowe's fights (that I've seen) Stewart usually wins.  Considering he's a free agent at the end of the season so you wouldn't have to give too much.  Midling prospect and a 2nd round pick maybe. 

He's effective, I don't hate him.  But I don't want a guy that's Ryane Clowe's size to play like that.  I want a guy Ryane Clowe's size to play like...Chris Stewart lol. 

Nah.  Ryan Clowe is a better fighter than Stewart.  Better record and fight card.  But he's fallen far as a player this season.  In many ways, he'd be the easiest to obtain because of that.

Clarkson would be a pipe dream.  Holland just doesn't go after players like that.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

id take either one clowe or clarkson but not of the expensive of filppula. fil is better than both

Hes not 5 million dollars better though.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Clowe is definitely tougher then Stewart. But Stewart is still pretty tough for a guy who can scrap half decent. Clarkson is who I would be afte though

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I like Clarkson but don't think he's a "must get."

And honestly I don't think Clowe or Stewart are "must gets" either.

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Clowe is definitely tougher then Stewart. But Stewart is still pretty tough for a guy who can scrap half decent. Clarkson is who I would be afte though

I think Clowe will be the easiest to obtain, given his offensive struggles this season. I'd be happy with any of them, to be honest.

I like Clarkson but don't think he's a "must get."

And honestly I don't think Clowe or Stewart are "must gets" either.

Stewart has been on fire lately. If at any point he is available, we should make an attempt to get him here.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I see no reason why the Devils would not re-sign Clarkson.

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Yup. It is fun to think he'll be a UFA come July, but like I said, Lou will do everything he can to keep him around.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

agree with you 110% but on the off chance he wants to test the ufa market and leave i think we should go after him bigtime ... just my opinion

#38 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think Clowe will be the easiest to obtain, given his offensive struggles this season. I'd be happy with any of them, to be honest.

Contrary to popular belief, a big, physical player does not automatically mean success. Clowe's play this season has been lackadaisical.

Stewart has been on fire lately. If at any point he is available, we should make an attempt to get him here.

The better his performance, the more he'll cost and the less likely the Blues will be to let him go. It's good for neither business nor success to put productive players on the block while having a competitive team.

#39 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

If Clarkson makes it to UFA-doubtful, hell yes! But he will be the best UFA power forward available. Meaning-6+ million per year. He would be a great fit.

Now for those that said Filppula is better or that Clarkson is a poor mans Abdelkader....OMFG are you guys stoned? Abby will never score 30 goals per season and Clarkson can kick his a$$ with one arm tied up. You can't compare Filppula with Clarkson-very different types of players. Filppula is a good 2 way guy and passer. Clarkson is a goal crasher and sniper with a bad attitude. Bad attitude in the right way.

#40 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

If Clarkson makes it to UFA-doubtful, hell yes! But he will be the best UFA power forward available. Meaning-6+ million per year. He would be a great fit.

Now for those that said Filppula is better or that Clarkson is a poor mans Abdelkader....OMFG are you guys stoned? Abby will never score 30 goals per season and Clarkson can kick his a$$ with one arm tied up. You can't compare Filppula with Clarkson-very different types of players. Filppula is a good 2 way guy and passer. Clarkson is a goal crasher and sniper with a bad attitude. Bad attitude in the right way.

$6M is probably about right, and it probably is a long shot that he'll be let go.

The good news for us though is that we could afford $6M (though we do have to be careful not to commit too much beyond next year, in case the cap drops again), and the Devils have a lot of spots to fill. Elias, Henrique, Zubrus, Poni, Zidlicky, and more. And they may have an internal budget, given their financial difficulties.

Given the age of Elias and Henrique being restricted, Clarkson would probably be top priority, but you never know. They're paying way too much for what they're getting from Volchenkov and Tallinder though, so if they can dump them and replace them with something more price-appropriate, they could use that savings to replace/resign Zidlicky and be left with around $26M to work on the forwards. If they do that I'd say very little chance of Clarkson hitting UFA.