• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Contrary to popular belief, a big, physical player does not automatically mean success. Clowe's play this season has been lackadaisical.

I never said he would be an automatic success. However, Detroit seems to do well with "reclamation projects".

If San Jose falls out of the playoff race (tough to tell at this point), he'll be available. If we can get him on the cheap, its worth it, in my opinion. If he performs well, try to re-sign him. If not, let him walk in the summer. Our lineup will probably still be depleted at the deadline.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

Holland must go after a physical top six forward. I hope Holland can get a headstart on the competition by focusing on Clowe which I think is the most realistic option. If needed I would sacrifice Filppula in a heartbeat to make room for Clowe. Both are having off seasons and have posted similar career highs but Clowe is undeniably offering a more useful element. I really dont care about his past or whatever, this team need to add muscle to play in the East next year.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#43 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

No way Clarkson will be available July 1.

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Bring in Clowe and try to get Matt Kassian from the Wild. I think Clarkson will not be avaiable come July 1st the devils would be absolutely stupid to let him walk, he is physical, not afraid to drop the gloves and can score goals a player every team would love to have on their roster.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#45 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't mind Clarkson or Clowde or whoever can fill our Top-6 Forward need.   We need to get a Top-6 Forward bad.

#46 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Clarkson is going to be near impossible to land. Really we just need to draft a guy like that which we never do.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#47 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

try to get Matt Kassian from the Wild.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Senators acquired Kassian a few days ago. He played in his 2nd game with Ottawa last night and scored the first goal of the game.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#48 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

I would love to see Clarkson in a Wings uni.  I just want the wings to be a gritty tough team like they were in the late 90's... I miss that

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think Clowe is more so the kind of player Holland would get....I still have visions in my head of Penner being here...not that its a good vision, but for some reason I see Holland getting him as a UFA...

No Bert or Sammy, add Clowe and/or Penner...dunno....

Clowe and Penner would be more suited for the Eastern Conference though.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Clowe

Penner - Zetterberg - Brunner

Franzen - Helm - Tatar

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton/Eaves

Nyquist (if he is still a Wing) for spot duty. Of course this is counting out any trades that may occur. Buying out Sammy and putting Bert on LTIR or buyout.  I'd still take a 1st for Filppula and put Tatar on Datsyuk's line.  I'd would entertain trading Emmerton as well for a pick. If either of those trades happen, then Nyquist has a spot.

Edited by LeftWinger, 20 March 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Penner is injury-prone, lazy, and inconsistent. He never panned out into the player people thought he would be. Clowe? Maybe, but I don't think he's all that great either.

#51 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Totally agree with the OP. Clarkson would be a perfect addition to the team. Brings so much to the table. Even if we have to overpay a little to get him, i def think it would be worth it.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#52 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Totally agree with the OP. Clarkson would be a perfect addition to the team. Brings so much to the table. Even if we have to overpay a little to get him, i def think it would be worth it.

I think the only way for Holland to sign Clarkson would be a huge "overpayment", since virtually every team in the league would take interest in him. That said, it would totally be worth it. I can't imagine the Devils to let that happen though.

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Penner is injury-prone, lazy, and inconsistent. He never panned out into the player people thought he would be. Clowe? Maybe, but I don't think he's all that great either.

Injury prone?

He's played 78 games or more every season except last one.  And that was from missing a  games due to back spasms and being a healthy scratch because he and no one else was scoring.

He's definitely inconsistent though.  He started playing well towards the end of last season and into the playoffs, but seems to have regressed again.  I'd only want Penner if the Wings got him cheap because he's basically a younger healthier version of modern day Bertuzzi (not the power forward of old) and could be a 20 g 20 assist guy like Clearly used to be.   Though unlike Cleary, Penner doesn't kill penalties so it reduces his value even more.  So maybe more like a Homer replacement?

He's got great size which makes him hard to move in front of the net and in the corners, but otherwise doesn't use it as much as he should.  And he's slow as molasses.