• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Iginla has given Calgary a list of 3 teams - DET on it ?!

Rate this topic

I found this very, very interesting:
On TSN, McKenzie talked about Iginla
-Rumors that Iginla has given Calgary a list of 3 teams (PIT, DET, VAN), another says it's a 5 Team List (Including BOS, LAK). McKenzie says he cannot confirm that a list has been presented.
-Says that the process for trading Iginla has begun.
-Said that, brace yourselves HF, he likens the situation to Rick Nash in that Iginla is driving the trade. If Iginla doesn't want to go/is overly restrictive of where he's willing to go, it could not happen.

It all depends on what Calgary wants in return.

He's a UFA at the end of the season and he holds all the power so hopefully that lowers the price on him substantially. If it doesn't I'd rather steer clear of this.

If it does however lower the cost to obtain him he'd give us a good upgrade in size, and skill for the top 6. He'd add another RH shot for the PP and an element of grit in the top 6 that we currently lack. On top of that he'd probably be the hungriest guy on the team for a chance at a cup, kind of like Dallas Drake did for the Wings when it seemed every player wanted to win for him as much as themselves.

That kind of thing can be a great motivator for a playoff run.

I'd be ok with giving up some conditional draft picks based both on whether he re-signs with the Wings and how he/we perform in the playoffs. I might even be willing to give up a prospect depending on which one the Flames wanted. Hey maybe we get really lucky and they request Cleary as part of the deal.

He's a UFA at the end of the season and he holds all the power so hopefully that lowers the price on him substantially. If it doesn't I'd rather steer clear of this.

If it does however lower the cost to obtain him he'd give us a good upgrade in size, and skill for the top 6. He'd add another RH shot for the PP and an element of grit in the top 6 that we currently lack. On top of that he'd probably be the hungriest guy on the team for a chance at a cup, kind of like Dallas Drake did for the Wings when it seemed every player wanted to win for him as much as themselves.

That kind of thing can be a great motivator for a playoff run.

I'd be ok with giving up some conditional draft picks based both on whether he re-signs with the Wings and how he/we perform in the playoffs. I might even be willing to give up a prospect depending on which one the Flames wanted. Hey maybe we get really lucky and they request Cleary as part of the deal.

Signed in today just to like you.

yea...maybe...i have never been a big iginla fan.

i prefer burmistrov (pav winger), (streit/hainsey/visnovsky) and fleishmann (z winger) to us.

mccollum, mursak, kindl, cleary, abdelkader, white, huskins, picks...expendable.

but hey...its just my opinion.

Guest Crymson

There won't be many sellers, and so the price will be high.

Lets get Iginla, Clarkson and Smid. This will make the Wings one of the most balanced teams in the NHL. The best part that it is very real and possible.

Go Kenny !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest Crymson

Lets get Iginla, Clarkson and Smid. This will make the Wings one of the most balanced teams in the NHL. The best part that it is very real and possible.

You'll need to explain to us how this is "very real and possible" without giving up all of our first-rate prospects and our 1sts for the next several seasons in exchange for a bunch of rentals. Your claim is further compromised by the fact that at least one of these teams will almost certainly be in playoff position in April.

All Iam saying is if the Wings pull this off it will improve the team and get them deep into post season. Once the become UFAs, their price will go up by a wide margin. Last thing I hate to see Wings end up empty handed come summer time.

Guest Crymson

All Iam saying is if the Wings pull this off it will improve the team and get them deep into post season. Once the become UFAs, their price will go up by a wide margin. Last thing I hate to see Wings end up empty handed come summer time.

Once they become UFAs, their price will drop 100% in that we'll not need to give up prospects and picks for them. Were the Wings to unload major assets for these players and have them bolt during the offseason, then the team would be worse than emptyhanded.

None of these players are RFAs. They can test the market if they so choose.

I'm wondering if all of this is just generated media crap because Perry is now off of the market (that he was never on in the first place...). I'm also puzzled as to why the Wings and 'Nucks would be on his list. Don't get my wrong, I'd love to see him in Red/White, but if he gets to choose where he can go why pick a team that is in a dogfight for a lower playoff spot?

Come to think of it... Maybe Iginla is thinking long term? Most of the teams that have a good shot at the cup this season, like Boston, Chicago, Anaheim and Pittsburgh, probably won't have the necessary cap space to re-sign Iginla at the end of the season. Boston, Chicago and Anaheim especially... Maybe Iginla doesn't really want to be a rental, and wants to be traded to a team that he can re-sign with.

Who really knows at this point... He could always pull a Keith Tkachuk or Doug Weight type rental as well. Back in 06/07, the Blues went into selling mode and traded Tkachuk to Atlanta and got a roster player along with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. At the end of the season, they re-acquired his rights from Atlanta for a conditional pick and resigned him 2 days before UFA started. The conditional pick turned into a 4th rounder for Atlanta... In the previous season, they sent Doug Weight to Carolina along with an overaged Euro prospect for 2 roster players, a different overaged Euro prospect, one 1st and two 4th rd. picks. Weight helped Carolina win the Cup, and then re-signed with the Blues on the second day of free agency. Feaster is so in love with keeping Iginla, this could be an entirely realistic possibility. A team could dump prospects and picks for Iginla as a rental and then he resigns with Calgary in the offseason...

Edited by DSM

Guest Crymson

As great as Iginla would be, no if the Wings are looking at a Flames player is has to be Jay Bouwmeester but I think Iggy will end up with the Kings or Pens anyways.

Bouwmeester is a slightly better iteration of Quincey with a far higher cap hit. His primary assets are his skating and his durability. He is average on offense and not much above average on defense. He is certainly not worth the assets and the loss of cap space that his acquisition would require.

This is a rough situation. Do we give up prospects/roster players and possible picks for a 1-year rental? We have no idea if he would extend with us, but if we really are on his 3-team short list, I also couldn't see that being a problem. He would bring leadership within the locker room, grit within the top 6, the drive, heart and passion to win a stanley cup, and scoring touch. We would finally have a bigger body with Pasha that can continuously pot them. That would allow for another speedy winger on the other side of Pasha, or atleast a smaller bodied playmaker. Really rough situation, but if he wants to come to Detroit, he wouldn't just be coming for this season.

I could see Pittsburgh getting him though; they desperately need a scoring winger and he would fit the bill. They have numerous defensive prospects that they could throw Calgary's way, BUT they aren't in the best shape cap space wise. They gotta re-sign Malkin and Letang which both are going to be asking for the cash flow.

I don't see Vancouver getting him at all. They don't have the pieces to offer, and Calgary can't be giving away their captain to a team they will be playing so much.

LAK doesn't really need him at this point, so I can't see them going nose forward with this.

Boston would be the other one competing with Detroit and Pittsburgh.

In reality, a lot of you probably will say it's not worth to pursue him but i'm going to say go for it. We need to get a trade done anyways soon, and we need to get rid of some people. I'm not even sure where we're standing right now at the 50-contract limit. I say we pursue him. If he wants to sign with Detroit right now, I couldn't see any problems signing an extension. He brings in veteran appeal (Holland loves that), heart, passion, drive, scoring touch, size, and relentless effort.... I mean I just don't see any problems here.

This is a rough situation. Do we give up prospects/roster players and possible picks for a 1-year rental? We have no idea if he would extend with us, but if we really are on his 3-team short list, I also couldn't see that being a problem. He would bring leadership within the locker room, grit within the top 6, the drive, heart and passion to win a stanley cup, and scoring touch. We would finally have a bigger body with Pasha that can continuously pot them. That would allow for another speedy winger on the other side of Pasha, or atleast a smaller bodied playmaker. Really rough situation, but if he wants to come to Detroit, he wouldn't just be coming for this season.

I could see Pittsburgh getting him though; they desperately need a scoring winger and he would fit the bill. They have numerous defensive prospects that they could throw Calgary's way, BUT they aren't in the best shape cap space wise. They gotta re-sign Malkin and Letang which both are going to be asking for the cash flow.

I don't see Vancouver getting him at all. They don't have the pieces to offer, and Calgary can't be giving away their captain to a team they will be playing so much.

LAK doesn't really need him at this point, so I can't see them going nose forward with this.

Boston would be the other one competing with Detroit and Pittsburgh.

In reality, a lot of you probably will say it's not worth to pursue him but i'm going to say go for it. We need to get a trade done anyways soon, and we need to get rid of some people. I'm not even sure where we're standing right now at the 50-contract limit. I say we pursue him. If he wants to sign with Detroit right now, I couldn't see any problems signing an extension. He brings in veteran appeal (Holland loves that), heart, passion, drive, scoring touch, size, and relentless effort.... I mean I just don't see any problems here.

The problem I see, is how much would it cost to extend him. The guy has made $7mil a season since the 05/06 season. He could get around that OR possibly more on the open market. With the cap space the Wings have for next season they would have to let Filppula, White, Miller and Cleary walk, and would barely have room to resign Howard, Brunner, Andersson, Kindl and Smith. They also wouldn't have any room to play in the UFA market.

If Detroit is one of the teams he wants to go to, Holland would have to atleast see what it would take to get him here.

Edited by DSM

On a side note... I just went to TSN's NHL page and saw the picture of Iginla. The first thing my eyes saw was the word "motion" in the headline "Wheels in Motion". For a split second, my brain told me that I was seeing the word "Motown" and I almost jumped sky high out of my chair...

Edited by DSM

Guest Crymson

In my opinion, all signs point to Iginla returning to Calgary in the offseason if he's dealt.

Bouwmeester is a slightly better iteration of Quincey with a far higher cap hit. His primary assets are his skating and his durability. He is average on offense and not much above average on defense. He is certainly not worth the assets and the loss of cap space that his acquisition would require.

Bouwmeester locks big minutes, can give you a solid offensive punch and is a reliable shutdown guy, his cap hit may be a bit high but if the Blues are re-signing Pietrangelo, there aren't any good UFA defenseman available in the future.

Guest Crymson

Bouwmeester locks big minutes, can give you a solid offensive punch and is a reliable shutdown guy, his cap hit may be a bit high but if the Blues are re-signing Pietrangelo, there aren't any good UFA defenseman available in the future.

Bouwmeester's best offensive performance with the Flames was last season. He scored 29 points and was a team-worst -21. He cannot by any means provide an "offensive punch" as you have put it, and he is probably not Ericsson's equal in a shutdown role. He is worth neither the assets Holland would need to spend on him nor his cap hit, which would comprise more than 10% of the team's cap for next season.

"He might be the only one available" is no good reason to make a disadvantageous trade. The team has a lot of good defensemen in the system right now, and this is not a time for the Wings to be trading away young talent or high draft picks.

Bouwmeester's best offensive performance with the Flames was last season. He scored 29 points and was a team-worst -21. He cannot by any means provide an "offensive punch" as you have put it, and he is probably not Ericsson's equal in a shutdown role. He is worth neither the assets Holland would need to spend on him nor his cap hit, which would comprise more than 10% of the team's cap for next season.

"He might be the only one available" is no good reason to make a disadvantageous trade. The team has a lot of good defensemen in the system right now, and this is not a time for the Wings to be trading away young talent or high draft picks.

05-06 5 goals, 46 points +1

06-07 12 goals, 42 points +23

07-08 15 goals, 37 points -5

08-09 17 goals 42 points -2

Obviously the flames is not a good fit for him, I think he could do very well in Detroit, but that cap hit is very unnattractive

Guest Crymson

05-06 5 goals, 46 points +1

06-07 12 goals, 42 points +23

07-08 15 goals, 37 points -5

08-09 17 goals 42 points -2

Obviously the flames is not a good fit for him, I think he could do very well in Detroit, but that cap hit is very unnattractive

"The team is not a good fit for him" is an ineffective argument. Any defenseman who is supposedly elite should be able to put together at least one effective season out of three. The guy just isn't he player he once was.

And yep, his cap hit is awful.