• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

On possible distractions with the Getzlaf and Perry contract talks: “Everybody is happy it’s done, but it didn’t bother us at all. We were just focused on our game. But those two signings are huge commitments, and they’re a sign for the organization and the fans and the team that we want to win here. When you lock your players to long-term deals, that’s what gives the foundation for this franchise. That’s great news.

“If they can play eight more years, I can too. I’m in better shape than they are.”

http://ducks.nhl.com...s.htm?id=660970

If anyone can do it, he can. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

If anyone can do it, he can. 

Based on their salary cap situation going forward he will either have to play for around 1 million a season or play those final years with another team. Anaheim just doesn't have the space for his current salary if they are going to keep Ryan.

#3 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

How could anyone not love the guy. The dude loves playing hockey. It's not his best year so far this year, but he's still on a good pace.

#4 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Based on their salary cap situation going forward he will either have to play for around 1 million a season or play those final years with another team. Anaheim just doesn't have the space for his current salary if they are going to keep Ryan.

Eh they could. Koivu and Selanne will both be taking pay cuts if they decide to keep them. They'd be at the hilt but it could be done

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

18 points in 28 games. Still respectable, considering he is 42. Hope he can play at a high level for years to come.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

He's not going to play anywhere else. Yzerman took a huge pay cut to stay with the Wings in '05-'06. Selanne would do the same. He has plenty of money---on the order of around 50 million from salary alone since 2000---already, and is playing now for the love of the game.

Edited by Crymson, 20 March 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Right now, he's on pace to hit well over 50 points if the season was 82 games. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#8 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

hahaf****** selanne

#9 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

get that man on datsyuks line

#10 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

If you've still got it, go for it.

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Ok, unless he takes the "discount" to stay in Anaheim, it's time to get him.  He has been quoted saying he would love to play with Filppula because they have a ton of chemistry.  His words, not mine. I cannot find the quote, but I know I read it last year around the deadline. Anyhow, I am sure Holland would throw $4.5M at Selanne if he wanted to come here.  It would also make Filppula more excited to re-sign here and maybe he would come off the $5M that we have heard he is looking for...  I just think that having a first line of Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne would not only be exciting to watch, but they just may get a few more points than what the Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader line was producing.  Selanne would instantly make our PP that much better as well.  I know he is 42 (Filppula is 30 today, BTW) but he still pays like he is in his 30's and if we could get him for a couple of years it would be great!

Filppula - Datsyuk - Selanne

Franzine - Zetterberg - Brunner  (ya, I know, we are stuck with Franz)

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton

That lineup next season is fine with me. As long as Franzine returns to his 30 goal form (lazy or not) then we should have no issue with scoring... and yes I know Bert and Sammy are missing.  I maintain buying them out or if Bert is in LTIR that works too...then we could buyout Colaiacovo.  Sign Dekeyser and Sustr to replace White and Cola...

Then hard part is getting him to come here.  I know they would both be excited to play together (and the Duck absolutely cannot afford Fil, unless they trade us Bobby Ryan for him (that's another thread! :lol: ))

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#12 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ok, unless he takes the "discount" to stay in Anaheim, it's time to get him.  He has been quoted saying he would love to play with Filppula because they have a ton of chemistry.  His words, not mine. I cannot find the quote, but I know I read it last year around the deadline. Anyhow, I am sure Holland would throw $4.5M at Selanne if he wanted to come here.  It would also make Filppula more excited to re-sign here and maybe he would come off the $5M that we have heard he is looking for...  I just think that having a first line of Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne would not only be exciting to watch, but they just may get a few more points than what the Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader line was producing.  Selanne would instantly make our PP that much better as well.  I know he is 42 (Filppula is 30 today, BTW) but he still pays like he is in his 30's and if we could get him for a couple of years it would be great!

Filppula - Datsyuk - Selanne

Franzine - Zetterberg - Brunner  (ya, I know, we are stuck with Franz)

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton

That lineup next season is fine with me. As long as Franzine returns to his 30 goal form (lazy or not) then we should have no issue with scoring... and yes I know Bert and Sammy are missing.  I maintain buying them out or if Bert is in LTIR that works too...then we could buyout Colaiacovo.  Sign Dekeyser and Sustr to replace White and Cola...

Then hard part is getting him to come here.  I know they would both be excited to play together (and the Duck absolutely cannot afford Fil, unless they trade us Bobby Ryan for him (that's another thread! :lol: ))

That would be in a perfect world, but is Nyquist not required to be on the team next year?  I thought he wasn't GR eligible next year unless he cleared waivers? 

I love the line, "If they can play 8 more years, so can I.  I'm in better shape than they are." :lol:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

That would be in a perfect world, but is Nyquist not required to be on the team next year?  I thought he wasn't GR eligible next year unless he cleared waivers? 

I love the line, "If they can play 8 more years, so can I.  I'm in better shape than they are." :lol:

I just don't think Nyquist is going to be in this organization next year....I could be wrong and they sure can carry 14 forwards so there is definitely room.  I just think that he isn't going to be here....sitting in the press box is not where he needs to be...

my question is, what # will Abby pick next season? or will Selanne just wear 88? Speaking of numbers, why doesn't anybody want to wear #15? The last one to wear it was Langfeld in 2007, the last regular player was Woolley...strange.  Ok back to topic!

Either get Selanne here, or trade Filppula + for Bobby Ryan...two great options IMO.

Edited by LeftWinger, 20 March 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#14 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have always had a huge hockey-crush on this man.  I hope Teemu plays forever, or until he just doesn't want to anymore.  He's a class act, through and through. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Just to nip all the dreams of signing him in the bud, Selanne has already said he will never play for another team. It's Anaheim or retirement.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Just to nip all the dreams of signing him in the bud, Selanne has already said he will never play for another team. It's Anaheim or retirement.

Good for him.  And Anaheim.  Class act, I tell ya.

• Nev likes this

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#17 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have always had a huge hockey-crush on this man.  I hope Teemu plays forever, or until he just doesn't want to anymore.  He's a class act, through and through. 

This pretty much summed up my feelings. Big fan of Selanne, would love to see him keep it going Anaheim or no Anaheim.

#18 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Bingo.

#19 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Well, then he is going to have to play for $1M then...as of next season they are 8 roster players short with $10.8M to spend.  And that would put them right at the cap ceiling.

Selanne and Filppula are best friends.  They run a school together on the off-season back in Finland and have expressed interest in playing with each other in the NHL.  Sure, that doesn't mean he is leaving Anaheim for sure, but if there is ANY team he would leave Anaheim for, it's going to be the Red Wings, so there is at least that outside chance.

Like I said, we could always trade Val to them for Bobby Ryan.  That would shed $5.1M from them and Ryan would look great in Red & White.

#20 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well, then he is going to have to play for $1M then...as of next season they are 8 roster players short with $10.8M to spend.  And that would put them right at the cap ceiling.

Yzerman played for $1.5m in 2005-2006. Anyway, did you miss where he said he'd retire if he couldn't play for the Ducks?

Selanne and Filppula are best friends.  They run a school together on the off-season back in Finland and have expressed interest in playing with each other in the NHL.  Sure, that doesn't mean he is leaving Anaheim for sure, but if there is ANY team he would leave Anaheim for, it's going to be the Red Wings, so there is at least that outside chance.

Best friends? I think that's pushing it.

Like I said, we could always trade Val to them for Bobby Ryan.  That would shed $5.1M from them and Ryan would look great in Red & White.

Ryan won't be going anywhere right now. The Ducks are all but guaranteed a playoff spot. The squad they have is already playing very good hockey. Breaking it up NOW and losing the chance to win NOW over offseason concerns would be foolish and will not happen.