• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Selanne hints at retirement still being far off

Rate this topic

On possible distractions with the Getzlaf and Perry contract talks: “Everybody is happy it’s done, but it didn’t bother us at all. We were just focused on our game. But those two signings are huge commitments, and they’re a sign for the organization and the fans and the team that we want to win here. When you lock your players to long-term deals, that’s what gives the foundation for this franchise. That’s great news.

“If they can play eight more years, I can too. I’m in better shape than they are.”

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=660970

If anyone can do it, he can.

If anyone can do it, he can.

Based on their salary cap situation going forward he will either have to play for around 1 million a season or play those final years with another team. Anaheim just doesn't have the space for his current salary if they are going to keep Ryan.

Based on their salary cap situation going forward he will either have to play for around 1 million a season or play those final years with another team. Anaheim just doesn't have the space for his current salary if they are going to keep Ryan.

Eh they could. Koivu and Selanne will both be taking pay cuts if they decide to keep them. They'd be at the hilt but it could be done

Guest Crymson

He's not going to play anywhere else. Yzerman took a huge pay cut to stay with the Wings in '05-'06. Selanne would do the same. He has plenty of money---on the order of around 50 million from salary alone since 2000---already, and is playing now for the love of the game.

Edited by Crymson

Ok, unless he takes the "discount" to stay in Anaheim, it's time to get him. He has been quoted saying he would love to play with Filppula because they have a ton of chemistry. His words, not mine. I cannot find the quote, but I know I read it last year around the deadline. Anyhow, I am sure Holland would throw $4.5M at Selanne if he wanted to come here. It would also make Filppula more excited to re-sign here and maybe he would come off the $5M that we have heard he is looking for... I just think that having a first line of Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne would not only be exciting to watch, but they just may get a few more points than what the Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader line was producing. Selanne would instantly make our PP that much better as well. I know he is 42 (Filppula is 30 today, BTW) but he still pays like he is in his 30's and if we could get him for a couple of years it would be great!

Filppula - Datsyuk - Selanne

Franzine - Zetterberg - Brunner (ya, I know, we are stuck with Franz)

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton

That lineup next season is fine with me. As long as Franzine returns to his 30 goal form (lazy or not) then we should have no issue with scoring... and yes I know Bert and Sammy are missing. I maintain buying them out or if Bert is in LTIR that works too...then we could buyout Colaiacovo. Sign Dekeyser and Sustr to replace White and Cola...

Then hard part is getting him to come here. I know they would both be excited to play together (and the Duck absolutely cannot afford Fil, unless they trade us Bobby Ryan for him (that's another thread! :lol: ))

Ok, unless he takes the "discount" to stay in Anaheim, it's time to get him. He has been quoted saying he would love to play with Filppula because they have a ton of chemistry. His words, not mine. I cannot find the quote, but I know I read it last year around the deadline. Anyhow, I am sure Holland would throw $4.5M at Selanne if he wanted to come here. It would also make Filppula more excited to re-sign here and maybe he would come off the $5M that we have heard he is looking for... I just think that having a first line of Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne would not only be exciting to watch, but they just may get a few more points than what the Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader line was producing. Selanne would instantly make our PP that much better as well. I know he is 42 (Filppula is 30 today, BTW) but he still pays like he is in his 30's and if we could get him for a couple of years it would be great!

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Emmerton

That lineup next season is fine with me. As long as Franzine returns to his 30 goal form (lazy or not) then we should have no issue with scoring... and yes I know Bert and Sammy are missing. I maintain buying them out or if Bert is in LTIR that works too...then we could buyout Colaiacovo. Sign Dekeyser and Sustr to replace White and Cola...

Then hard part is getting him to come here. I know they would both be excited to play together (and the Duck absolutely cannot afford Fil, unless they trade us Bobby Ryan for him (that's another thread! :lol: ))

That would be in a perfect world, but is Nyquist not required to be on the team next year? I thought he wasn't GR eligible next year unless he cleared waivers?

I love the line, "If they can play 8 more years, so can I. I'm in better shape than they are." :lol:

That would be in a perfect world, but is Nyquist not required to be on the team next year? I thought he wasn't GR eligible next year unless he cleared waivers?

I love the line, "If they can play 8 more years, so can I. I'm in better shape than they are." :lol:

I just don't think Nyquist is going to be in this organization next year....I could be wrong and they sure can carry 14 forwards so there is definitely room. I just think that he isn't going to be here....sitting in the press box is not where he needs to be...

my question is, what # will Abby pick next season? or will Selanne just wear 88? Speaking of numbers, why doesn't anybody want to wear #15? The last one to wear it was Langfeld in 2007, the last regular player was Woolley...strange. Ok back to topic!

Either get Selanne here, or trade Filppula + for Bobby Ryan...two great options IMO.

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

Just to nip all the dreams of signing him in the bud, Selanne has already said he will never play for another team. It's Anaheim or retirement.

Bingo.

Just to nip all the dreams of signing him in the bud, Selanne has already said he will never play for another team. It's Anaheim or retirement.

Well, then he is going to have to play for $1M then...as of next season they are 8 roster players short with $10.8M to spend. And that would put them right at the cap ceiling.

Selanne and Filppula are best friends. They run a school together on the off-season back in Finland and have expressed interest in playing with each other in the NHL. Sure, that doesn't mean he is leaving Anaheim for sure, but if there is ANY team he would leave Anaheim for, it's going to be the Red Wings, so there is at least that outside chance.

Like I said, we could always trade Val to them for Bobby Ryan. That would shed $5.1M from them and Ryan would look great in Red & White.

Guest Crymson

Well, then he is going to have to play for $1M then...as of next season they are 8 roster players short with $10.8M to spend. And that would put them right at the cap ceiling.

Yzerman played for $1.5m in 2005-2006. Anyway, did you miss where he said he'd retire if he couldn't play for the Ducks?

Selanne and Filppula are best friends. They run a school together on the off-season back in Finland and have expressed interest in playing with each other in the NHL. Sure, that doesn't mean he is leaving Anaheim for sure, but if there is ANY team he would leave Anaheim for, it's going to be the Red Wings, so there is at least that outside chance.

Best friends? I think that's pushing it.

Like I said, we could always trade Val to them for Bobby Ryan. That would shed $5.1M from them and Ryan would look great in Red & White.

Ryan won't be going anywhere right now. The Ducks are all but guaranteed a playoff spot. The squad they have is already playing very good hockey. Breaking it up NOW and losing the chance to win NOW over offseason concerns would be foolish and will not happen.

Yzerman played for $1.5m in 2005-2006. Anyway, did you miss where he said he'd retire if he couldn't play for the Ducks?

absolutely, that is why I said that if he only wants to play for the Ducks, he'd have to do it for $1M. He did it for the Avs years ago to try to win a Cup, never said he wouldn't take a discount. Also the thread and article is about him hinting he is not ready to retire and feels he can play for 8 more years, so if he does not want to retire, and doesn't want to play for $1M, he'd HAVE to go elsewhere if he wants to play. And like I said above and below, him and Val being so close (I won't use Best this time) of friends, IF he were to go anywhere else other than Anaheim, it will be to play with his VERY CLOSE friend of whom he has a great relationship with outside of the NHL and Hockey in general.

Best friends? I think that's pushing it.

.http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/breakout_season_for_red_wings.html

“I've been waiting for this for a long time because I've known Valtteri for a long, long time and he's a very good friend of mine,'' Selanne said. “I always knew he has all the tools - Selanne.

Maybe BEST wasn't the exact word, but to say you have known someone for a long, long time and are very good friends, that is pretty damn close to being best friends. I would venture to say that while in the States and the NHL, they are best friends..."I've been waiting for this for a long time because I've known Valtteri for a long, long time and he's a very good friend of mine,'' Selanne said. “I always knew he has all the tools

Ryan won't be going anywhere right now. The Ducks are all but guaranteed a playoff spot. The squad they have is already playing very good hockey. Breaking it up NOW and losing the chance to win NOW over offseason concerns would be foolish and will not happen.

This I agree with, I cannot see them changing anything this season unless it's a veteran rental to help them through the playoffs. I can see something happening after the season though, especially if they do not win the Cup. They may be looking for away to change their team a bit, and since Selanne hints at wanting to play, and he will only play in Anaheim, maybe acquiring Filppula would be something that would help them in giving them a legit #2 center to play with Selanne. But they would have to shed at least the $4.5M that Filppula would want and Ryan's $5.1 would make room for sure! But, Selanne would still have to take a discount to play again, but at least they'd have another $600,000 to use for the cap...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

Maybe BEST wasn't the exact word, but to say you have known someone for a long, long time and are very good friends, that is pretty damn close to being best friends. I would venture to say that while in the States and

the NHL, they are best friends...

It's functionally irrelevant. Selanne has made it clear that he won't be moving.

This I agree with, I cannot see them changing anything this season unless it's a veteran rental to help them through the playoffs. I can see something happening after the season though, especially if they do not win the Cup. They may be looking for away to change their team a bit, and since Selanne hints at wanting to play, and he will only play in Anaheim, maybe acquiring Filppula would be something that would help them in giving them a legit #2 center to play with Selanne. But they would have to shed at least the $4.5M that Filppula would want and Ryan's $5.1 would make room for sure! But, Selanne would still have to take a discount to play again, but at least they'd have another $600,000 to use for the cap...

Filppula would need to be re-signed first, else this trade would make no sense for the Ducks.

It's functionally irrelevant. Selanne has made it clear that he won't be moving.

Filppula would need to be re-signed first, else this trade would make no sense for the Ducks.

All true and I am not going to get any hopes up, that's for sure. But if he did entertain the idea of playing elsewhere, it would have to be here....have to!

Of course all those what if's and maybe's, if the Wings are going to land top 6 scorer in the off season, I can see them having a better chance landing Iginla than Selanne...and that chance is remote as well.

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Playmaker

Steve Yzerman and Darren Pang are best friends, but no one was clamoring to have Panger in the nets for the Wings. Lots of NHL players are friends with guys on other teams. Big deal.

I like Selanne as much as the next person, but any talk of trading for him is ridiculous. While Selanne did well last season and is decent in this shortened season, he's on his way down. Once the decline starts, it goes quickly. Chelios said he wanted to play until he was 50 and we see how that worked out.

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Emmerton

I don't understand why you have such an obsession with trading with Anaheim. Before Perry signed you were bringing up that trade in every thread. Now it seems you've moved onto Selanne. It seems to be all centered around the relationship between Selanne and Filppula. Guess I just don't get the fascination. Not to mention they are both playoff contenders in the same conference.