Photo
- - - - -

Selanne hints at retirement still being far off

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yzerman played for $1.5m in 2005-2006. Anyway, did you miss where he said he'd retire if he couldn't play for the Ducks?

absolutely, that is why I said that if he only wants to play for the Ducks, he'd have to do it for $1M.  He did it for the Avs years ago to try to win a Cup, never said he wouldn't take a discount.  Also the thread and article is about him hinting he is not ready to retire and feels he can play for 8 more years, so if he does not want to retire, and doesn't want to play for $1M, he'd HAVE to go elsewhere if he wants to play.  And like I said above and below, him and Val being so close (I won't use Best this time) of friends, IF he were to go anywhere else other than Anaheim, it will be to play with his VERY CLOSE friend of whom he has a great relationship with outside of the NHL and Hockey in general.

Best friends? I think that's pushing it.

.http://www.mlive.com..._red_wings.html

“I've been waiting for this for a long time because I've known Valtteri for a long, long time and he's a very good friend of mine,'' Selanne said. “I always knew he has all the tools - Selanne.

Maybe BEST wasn't the exact word, but to say you have known someone for a long, long time and are very good friends, that is pretty damn close to being best friends.  I would venture to say that while in the States and the NHL, they are best friends..."I've been waiting for this for a long time because I've known Valtteri for a long, long time and he's a very good friend of mine,'' Selanne said. “I always knew he has all the tools

Ryan won't be going anywhere right now. The Ducks are all but guaranteed a playoff spot. The squad they have is already playing very good hockey. Breaking it up NOW and losing the chance to win NOW over offseason concerns would be foolish and will not happen.

This I agree with, I cannot see them changing anything this season unless it's a veteran rental to help them through the playoffs.  I can see something happening after the season though, especially if they do not win the Cup.  They may be looking for away to change their team a bit, and since Selanne hints at wanting to play, and he will only play in Anaheim, maybe acquiring Filppula would be something that would help them in giving them a legit #2 center to play with Selanne.  But they would have to shed at least the $4.5M that Filppula would want and Ryan's $5.1 would make room for sure!  But, Selanne would still have to take a discount to play again, but at least they'd have another $600,000 to use for the cap...

Edited by LeftWinger, 20 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Maybe BEST wasn't the exact word, but to say you have known someone for a long, long time and are very good friends, that is pretty damn close to being best friends.  I would venture to say that while in the States and

the NHL, they are best friends...

It's functionally irrelevant. Selanne has made it clear that he won't be moving.

This I agree with, I cannot see them changing anything this season unless it's a veteran rental to help them through the playoffs.  I can see something happening after the season though, especially if they do not win the Cup.  They may be looking for away to change their team a bit, and since Selanne hints at wanting to play, and he will only play in Anaheim, maybe acquiring Filppula would be something that would help them in giving them a legit #2 center to play with Selanne.  But they would have to shed at least the $4.5M that Filppula would want and Ryan's $5.1 would make room for sure!  But, Selanne would still have to take a discount to play again, but at least they'd have another $600,000 to use for the cap...

Filppula would need to be re-signed first, else this trade would make no sense for the Ducks.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

It's functionally irrelevant. Selanne has made it clear that he won't be moving.

Filppula would need to be re-signed first, else this trade would make no sense for the Ducks.

All true and I am not going to get any hopes up, that's for sure.  But if he did entertain the idea of playing elsewhere, it would have to be here....have to!

Of course all those what if's and maybe's, if the Wings are going to land top 6 scorer in the off season, I can see them having a better chance landing Iginla than Selanne...and that chance is remote as well.

Edited by LeftWinger, 20 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#24 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Steve Yzerman and Darren Pang are best friends, but no one was clamoring to have Panger in the nets for the Wings.  Lots of NHL players are friends with guys on other teams.  Big deal. 

I like Selanne as much as the next person, but any talk of trading for him is ridiculous.  While Selanne did well last season and is decent in this shortened season, he's on his way down.  Once the decline starts, it goes quickly.  Chelios said he wanted to play until he was 50 and we see how that worked out. 

• DSM likes this

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ok, unless he takes the "discount" to stay in Anaheim, it's time to get him.  He has been quoted saying he would love to play with Filppula because they have a ton of chemistry.  His words, not mine. I cannot find the quote, but I know I read it last year around the deadline. Anyhow, I am sure Holland would throw $4.5M at Selanne if he wanted to come here.  It would also make Filppula more excited to re-sign here and maybe he would come off the $5M that we have heard he is looking for...  I just think that having a first line of Filppula-Datsyuk-Selanne would not only be exciting to watch, but they just may get a few more points than what the Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader line was producing.  Selanne would instantly make our PP that much better as well.  I know he is 42 (Filppula is 30 today, BTW) but he still pays like he is in his 30's and if we could get him for a couple of years it would be great!

Filppula - Datsyuk - Selanne

Franzine - Zetterberg - Brunner  (ya, I know, we are stuck with Franz)

Tatar - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Andersson - Tootoo

Emmerton

That lineup next season is fine with me. As long as Franzine returns to his 30 goal form (lazy or not) then we should have no issue with scoring... and yes I know Bert and Sammy are missing.  I maintain buying them out or if Bert is in LTIR that works too...then we could buyout Colaiacovo.  Sign Dekeyser and Sustr to replace White and Cola...

Then hard part is getting him to come here.  I know they would both be excited to play together (and the Duck absolutely cannot afford Fil, unless they trade us Bobby Ryan for him (that's another thread! :lol: ))

I don't understand why you have such an obsession with trading with Anaheim. Before Perry signed you were bringing up that trade in every thread. Now it seems you've moved onto Selanne. It seems to be all centered around the relationship between Selanne and Filppula. Guess I just don't get the fascination. Not to mention they are both playoff contenders in the same conference.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Selanne will retire as a Duck thats for sure, at best he is going to have a short stint in Winnipeg but no way we'll ever see this guy in a Winged Wheel.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#27 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I am pretty sure teemu would play for $1 if he could 

Edited by Duck Guy, 21 March 2013 - 12:32 AM.

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Big goal tonight for the ageless wonder. Love it.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

And since no one has ever changed their mind before... :rolleyes:

Athletes at times can be overzealous when expressing their thoughts on their own futures, such as when they say they'll never play for so and so, or they'll only play for so and so. Or that they'll play for 8 more years when they're 42.

Edited by gcom007, 21 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#30 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Athletes at times can be overzealous when expressing their thoughts on their own futures, such as when they say they'll never play for so and so, or they'll only play for so and so. Or that they'll play for 8 more years when they're 42.

I see what you're saying, and know who you are talking about. But I would say it probably wouldn't be worth it for anyone in Detroit to have any hope of seeing Selanne in a Wings jersey...

#31 DriveInRedandWhite

DriveInRedandWhite

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Selanne is going to retire as a Duck. Case closed.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Do you think that Lidstrom or Yzerman would ever have changed their minds?

Selanne no longer has anything to prove, nor anything that he can plausibly accomplish beyond what he's done already, and he's got a boatload of money.

Can you come up with one equivalent player---the operative word being equivalent, i.e. already won a Cup, lots of scoring, etc.---who decided to leave his very longtime team (Selanne has played the past eight seasons with the Ducks, and six more before his stint with the Sharks), with which he identified closely, and go somewhere else at the very end of his career?

Edited by Crymson, 21 March 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#33 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Do you think that Lidstrom or Yzerman would ever have changed their minds?

Selanne no longer has anything to prove, nor anything that he can plausibly accomplish beyond what he's done already, and he's got a boatload of money.

Can you come up with one equivalent player---the operative word being equivalent, i.e. already won a Cup, lots of scoring, etc.---who decided to leave his very longtime team (Selanne has played the past eight seasons with the Ducks, and six more before his stint with the Sharks), with which he identified closely, and go somewhere else at the very end of his career?

Lidstrom and Yzerman aren't even remotely equivalent players to bring up in this conversation; they each spent their whole career with the same team, weren't being pinched out by the cap, and they each retired earlier than Selanne likely will. Yzerman could barely skate without extreme pain and Lidstrom "lost the hunger" or something before this could become an issue. Obviously, the Wings can still afford to pay Lidstrom whatever he wants (are you reading this, Nick???).

How many teams has Selanne played for? Oh yeah, four.

We're not even talking Mike Modano or Ray Borque level decisions here, having literally spent their entire career with one team only to switch teams late in their career for one reason or another. But when there's hunger there for a Cup or to keep playing and your longtime team can't afford you or make a place for you or put a team together that can make a run, you find a way to rationalize things, painful as it may be in some ways. And again, those guys hadn't already changed teams four times before, like Teemu has.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's incredibly likely that he'll play for someone else, nor am I trying to suggest that he doesn't feel a sense of loyalty to the Ducks organization at this point, I'm merely saying that if the guy wants to keep playing but the Ducks can't come up with the money to make it work, push comes to shove, I think it's entirely possible that Selanne might change his mind and play for someone else. Granted, I don't think he would do so 2-3 years from now at 45, but after this season or next, if the Ducks can't make it work financially, I absolutely believe that he would entertain other options if he still had the hunger to play. 

Yzerman and Lidstrom? Seriously? 

It just wouldn't be nearly as hard for him as it would be for someone like Yzerman or Lidstrom, because after all, it wouldn't be the first time he went to a new team, it'd be the fifth time. I'm not trying to take anything away from Teemu as I think he's a great, great hockey player and he seems like a great person off the ice. I don't think anyone wouldn't absolutely love to have the guy on their favorite team; he's one of the greats and a pure class act. But no matter what he may say now (and what else would you expect him to be saying now?), if he wants to keep playing and it's not looking like it's going to work out in Anaheim, if there are other intriguing options out there, I don't think it'd be outlandish at all to think that Teemu Selanne might switch teams for the fifth time.

None the less, I think you've got to be dreaming if you think he'd come to Detroit at this stage in the game. I mean, sure, it's possible and there are reasons to believe it'd be on the shortlist, and it may still be, but I kinda doubt that we'll be signing Flip to an extension and that would be a large part of the draw to get him here. Furthermore, he's not going to want to join a rebuilding team at 42, and I think it's getting harder and harder to suggest that we're not in a sort of rebuilding stage right now. It's too bad though. He'd look great in red and white and he might be able to help Flip be better than he knows how to be on his own. Dreams...

Edit: I think it's also worth bringing Chris Chelios up as equivalent players who made dramatic shifts. First of all, just him coming to Detroit at all was no small feat, and he was no spring chicken when that deal went down. And at a much later age when he had absolutely nothing whatsoever to prove to anyone, no need for money, and really only shame to gain, he left Detroit to try and make something else work. Guys who want to play well into their 40s are hungrier to play than just about anyone, and despite their best intentions, they're not going to be tied down by a feeling of loyalty. If Selanne wants to play and believes he still can, he will find a place to play, Anaheim or not.

Edited by gcom007, 21 March 2013 - 05:15 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#34 redwings1914

redwings1914

Wingin' It since '90

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I wish Lidstrom had as heart and love for the game that he does instead of quitting on us
It is not a sprint, yet a marathon.

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

Teemu isn't coming here. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Only other place (other than Detroit) that I could possibly see him go would be Winnipeg....where it all began.  I know its a different franchise, but the fans are the same and if for reason Anaheim couldn't offer him a contract and he absolutely wanted to play again, maybe a victory tour with the Jets would be a nostalgic tribute for him....

www.thinkdunes.com

#37 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Just read that last nights goal was his 671st - incredible!  Didn't realise he had quite that many goals.  Incredible to think what his totals might be without having to suffer 3 lockouts and play his best years in the Dead Puck era.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk