Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

It means you never know...Ericsson is a mediocre, overpaid defenseman and not only is he on our team but Holland gve him that deal. It means its not a stretch to think we'd take a flier on him. That said, I dont think we will.

In no way is Ericsson a mediocre, overpaid defenseman. If you think that he is Komisarek's equivalent, I can only conclude that you have not seen Komisarek play in the past three seasons. For that matter, it sounds as if you've not been watching Red Wings hockey at all this season, because Ericsson is earning every penny of his paycheck this season.

Edited by Crymson, 20 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#23 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

It means you never know...Ericsson is a mediocre, overpaid defenseman and not only is he on our team but Holland gve him that deal. It means its not a stretch to think we'd take a flier on him. That said, I dont think we will.

Ericsson is better than komisarek at this point and is living up to the money

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Toronto put Mike Komisarek on waivers today. Worth picking up now that Quincey is hurt?

I want Komisarek to be a Red Wing less than I want herpes.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I too think that with the overinflated salaries today, Ericsson is paid well for his output. He is outplaying Quincey (before injury) and Q makes a bit more.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

In no way is Ericsson a mediocre, overpaid defenseman. If you think that he is Komisarek's equivalent, I can only conclude that you have never seen Komisarek play. For that matter, it sounds as if you've not been watching hockey at all this season.

I agree that Ericsson is much better than Komisarek. But obviously that's not saying much. Ericsson is absolutely mediocre and is definitely overpayed by at least 1 mill. Maybe he still has some untapped potential, but I doubt he will ever be great. He's a solid, big-bodied d-man that isn't terrible or great at any aspect of the game. He's the definition of mediocre IMO

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I agree that Ericsson is much better than Komisarek. But obviously that's not saying much. Ericsson is absolutely mediocre and is definitely overpayed by at least 1 mill. Maybe he still has some untapped potential, but I doubt he will ever be great. He's a solid, big-bodied d-man that isn't terrible or great at any aspect of the game. He's the definition of mediocre IMO

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to all of the inaccuracies in your post. Ericsson has very possibly been the team's overall best defenseman thus far, and certainly so in the defensive end.

I want Komisarek to be a Red Wing less than I want herpes.

You're a truly hardcore fan, then.

#28 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have to disagree with the notion that he is overpayed. If he would've hit the open market, I'll bet other teams would've offered 1 million MORE than Holland gave him.

#29 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to all of the inaccuracies in your post. Ericsson has very possibly been the team's overall best defenseman thus far, and certainly so in the defensive end.

You must not catch many games? For the most part he's been pretty solid defensively, other times he has bad giveaways and loses puck battles in the corners. Just look at the facts, he's a +1 and doesn't often contribute offensively. Many would argue Kindl is more solid defensively. Until Ericsson steps his game up to another level he is the pure definition of mediocre. But I'm glad to see he has his fanboys. I don't hate the guy, but to act like he's some great defensemen is a joke. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

I have to disagree with the notion that he is overpayed. If he would've hit the open market, I'll bet other teams would've offered 1 million MORE than Holland gave him.

I'll def give you that one. Several teams would've jumped on him. But speaking in terms of pure output and everything he brings to the table, he's at least somewhat overpayed. Not way overpayed tho. I def see where Holland was coming from at the time.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#30 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

No thanks on Komisarek. The defense has enough depth now. The need is a top pairing guy and Komisarek is far from that.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#31 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

You must not catch many games? For the most part he's been pretty solid defensively, other times he has bad giveaways and loses puck battles in the corners. Just look at the facts, he's a +1 and doesn't often contribute offensively. Many would argue Kindl is more solid defensively. Until Ericsson steps his game up to another level he is the pure definition of mediocre. But I'm glad to see he has his fanboys. I don't hate the guy, but to act like he's some great defensemen is a joke. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

I'll def give you that one. Several teams would've jumped on him. But speaking in terms of pure output and everything he brings to the table, he's at least somewhat overpayed. Not way overpayed tho. I def see where Holland was coming from at the time.

No one is calling Ericsson a "great" defenseman. A great d man is great in both ends. E is a shut down guy, he's not expected to produce like u keep saying. He's done almost a 180 from how he played last year. He's also on a career high point pace on top of shutting guys down in his own end. If you're really using plus minus to judge his d abilities then maybe u need to catch a few more games instead of crymson

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by number9, 20 March 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#32 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Medioce: Of only moderate quality; not very good

Thank you. I had looked up the definition of mediocre for the sake of solid facts. Ericsson is, at best, of moderate quality. This is the best he's ever played and he's still just a bigger version of Brad Stuart, if that, a #4 guy. Holland gave him that deal before seeing him this year and it was certainly an overpayment at the time. Even the worst players can have good stretchs. While I hope this is the new Ericsson, he's been one of the slowest learners and worst defenseman we've had since he's been here. At the end of last year I remember watching him and you could see on his face that he had no confidance and next to no idea where to be on the ice. He also has/had a milder case of Franzenitis...otherwise known as being a big guy and not using it to your advantage.

No one is calling Ericsson a "great" defenseman. A great d man is great in both ends. E is a shut down guy, he's not expected to produce like u keep saying. He's done almost a 180 from how he played last year. He's also on a career high point pace on top of shutting guys down in his own end. If you're really using plus minus to judge his d abilities then maybe u need to catch a few more games instead of crymson

EDIT: Grammar

To save any unneeded drubbing...i agree that he has been far better than he has ever been. Im impressed. He's been my whipping boy for s o long it almost made me bitter to give up harping on him. That said, 30 games doesnt erase 4 years of history yet, so we'll see how it goes...

#33 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to all of the inaccuracies in your post. Ericsson has very possibly been the team's overall best defenseman thus far, and certainly so in the defensive .

Only in the defensive and that's even debatable. Kronwall has clearly led the offensive D category. Ericsson has probably been the best defensive defenseman on our team but that doesn't say much. A 22 year old, undrafted free agent who was never supposed to make this team is close to being the best defensive defenseman so far. Every other defenseman on our team is either primarily offensive or is simply awful...ie Quincey.

Edited by achildr1, 20 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#34 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Garth Snow to the rescue with the waiver claim! 

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Only in the defensive and that's even debatable. Kronwall has clearly led the offensive D category. Ericsson has probably been the best defensive defenseman on our team but that doesn't say much. A 22 year old, undrafted free agent who was never supposed to make this team is close to being the best defensive defenseman so far. Every other defenseman on our team is either primarily offensive or is simply awful...ie Quincey.

Lashoff is nowhere near being as good as Ericsson, as was made evident by his play against the Sedin line. After making three major errors, he was replaced by Ericsson, and the latter performed more than adequately.

I again question if you've really been watching many of the games, but whatever.

Edit: Lashoff just totally blew coverage on Brodziak. Goal.

Edited by Crymson, 20 March 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#36 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Lashoff is nowhere near being as good as Ericsson, as was made evident by his play against the Sedin line. After making three major errors, he was replaced by Ericsson, and the latter performed more than adequately.

I again question if you've really been watching many of the games, but whatever.

I question whether you unbiasedly read what I post. I didn't say he was as good as Ericsson and i implied that he has been our second best defensive defenseman. I say that because Ericsson, I believe, is fooling your eyes a little bit. Ericsson is playing far better than he ever has but he is not playing any better than a #4 defensive defenseman on the Red Wings should be expected to play. Just because he's way better than he has been doesn't mean he's far better than Lashoff has been (a rookie playing two of the best players in the league after less than 30 games) being replaced by Ericsson (who has played with Lidsteom for 4 years and untill two months ago still looked lost on the ice). I wonder why Lashoff was out against the Sedins to begin with if Ericsson is the second coming of Rod Langway.

Edit: Ericsson has been decent and worth his contract for as long as Lashoff has been in the NHL so they are both suspect. I've watched Ericsson blow coverage on a player more than any other player on this team in the last four years...pardon me if I'm not drinking the kool aid just uet.

Edited by achildr1, 20 March 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I question whether you unbiasedly read what I post. I didn't say he was as good as Ericsson. I say that because Ericsson, I believe, is fooling your eyes a little bit. Ericsson is playing far better than he ever has but he is not playing any better than a #4 defensive defenseman on the Red Wings should be expected to play. Just because he's way better than he has been doesn't mean he's far better than Lashoff has been (a rookie playing two of the best players in the league after less than 30 games) being replaced by Ericsson (who has played with Lidsteom for 4 years and untill two months ago still looked lost on the ice). I wonder why Lashoff was out against the Sedins to begin with if Ericsson is the second coming of Rod Langway.

Fooling my eyes? Perhaps you refer to sorcery?

Ericsson is playing adequately against top opposition.

#38 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Fooling my eyes? Perhaps you refer to sorcery?

Ericsson is playing adequately against top opposition.

There's the keyword. Adequate. Ericsson is finally worth his ice time and I love seeing it. I'd be thrilled if this kid fulfills his potential. I've just watched his look like a deer in the headlights for almost five years and I was literally blown away we gave him that contract. Wings don't usually overpay for uselessness. That said, if he keeps this up, were better off for it. Keep it coming Big E.

Edited by achildr1, 20 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

There's the keyword. Adequate. Ericsson is finally worth his ice time and I love seeing it. I'd be thrilled if this kid fulfills his potential. I've just watched his look like a deer in the headlights for almost five years and I was literally blown away we gave him that contract. Wings don't usually overpay for uselessness. That said, if he keeps this up, were better off for it. Keep it coming Big E.

Ericsson is logging more ice time than anyone not named Kronwall and is the #1 PK defenseman.  He's not the #4 guy.

I wasn't sure he'd earn his contract but the Wings are getting their money's worth out of him already.

And I never really understood why people think his potential was so high.  He's a converted defenseman taken dead last in the draft.  Great size.  Booming but slow slapshot.  Great first pass.  But he's mostly a stay at home guy, not some offensive juggernaut. Ericsson is already a win for the Wings.  Kindl is the one who is well below his potential.

#40 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Players are often paid for their future potential... additionally, as mentioned, they are paid to keep them happy and to keep other teams from signing them.  

Our numbered values for players in dollar amounts are usually off... and better let up to professionals and cap-ologists.

That being said, I initially balked at his cap-hit, but have been confident with his improvement and hope he keeps it up.

Medioce: Of only moderate quality; not very good

Thank you. I had looked up the definition of mediocre for the sake of solid facts. Ericsson is, at best, of moderate quality. This is the best he's ever played and he's still just a bigger version of Brad Stuart, if that, a #4 guy. Holland gave him that deal before seeing him this year and it was certainly an overpayment at the time. Even the worst players can have good stretchs. While I hope this is the new Ericsson, he's been one of the slowest learners and worst defenseman we've had since he's been here. At the end of last year I remember watching him and you could see on his face that he had no confidance and next to no idea where to be on the ice. He also has/had a milder case of Franzenitis...otherwise known as being a big guy and not using it to your advantage.

To save any unneeded drubbing...i agree that he has been far better than he has ever been. Im impressed. He's been my whipping boy for s o long it almost made me bitter to give up harping on him. That said, 30 games doesnt erase 4 years of history yet, so we'll see how it goes...

So, everyone's watching games but we're all seeing different things... hmmm... when you've decided they're your whipping boy, how clearly are we watching the player and their game?

I don't think Ericsson has ever been slotted with potential higher than a #4 role and is is doing well enough to keep him in that role.

Either way, this fanboy is glad to see you're willing to give him a chance as I think he'll be around for a while.

On topic: No to Komi. I had thoughts about him earlier in the season, but once Lashoff stepped up and we got Huskins... my mind quickly drifted from those delusions.

Edited by e_prime, 20 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.