• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsDC2B

Why the Red Wings should be sellers this year

Rate this topic

The only real tradeable piece we have is Fil and the likelihood of a late first rounder turning out to be as good as him is slim. And he's still young so I'd rather keep him.

We have the good prospect pool we need already. If anything this is going to be a team that adds a few pieces at the deadline. Imagine this team with Iginla. Our chances for a deep run would be much better

With no one else selling, we would get max returns for anyone that we move. Filppula and franzen would get at leasta 1st and maybe a second pick to go with it. Cleary, White and Miller are all UFA's after this season-none should be resigned, so move them for some more mid round picks. Eaves and Colaivaco would also get some mid round picks. this would also clear out cap space to resign out UFA/RFA that we want to keep: Howard, brunner, Kindl, Smith, add a Dekeyser, and maybe 1 or 2 UFA's this summer. Then we go into the draft with 12+ picks and can move up or dwn as needed to get the quality young talent we need.

The thought that keeping a streak alive to only get booted in the 1st round is silly. All streaks end sooner or later. having a streak and $2 keeps you a cup of coffee and that is about it. The goal is to win Cups. the second place team is just the first loser. Nothing more.The idea of 4, 5, 6 more years of just making the PO's, losing in the early rounds vs. taking a year or 2 off and loading up with young talent to win more cups, is no choice to me. To get a Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin type of player, you have to pick early. we could very well be 14 months from losing our star player and have NOTHING to replace him with.

No ones taking on Franzen's contract. Cleary has an NTC. And the rest of those guys don't have much value besides Fil

People seriously overvalue high draft picks. How many top 5 or top 10 guys from the last 5 years are stars today? Ask Edmonton. No one in this draft will be able to fill Datsyuk's shoes if he leaves after next year. The chance that Seth Jones will be a superstar d-man for the next 20 years is so small that it doesn't make sense to do the kind of risk-taking it would require to have a shot at him.

When Erik Karlsson was drafted, Ottawa fans were furious and though they made an awful pick. You NEVER know.

Keep being competetive, keep finding diamonds in the rough in the draft, keep looking for undrafted players to take a chance on.. build from within, stay classy, stay a model organization that players are likely to want to play for.

The only real tradeable piece we have is Fil and the likelihood of a late first rounder turning out to be as good as him is slim. And he's still young so I'd rather keep him.

We have the good prospect pool we need already. If anything this is going to be a team that adds a few pieces at the deadline. Imagine this team with Iginla. Our chances for a deep run would be much better

No ones taking on Franzen's contract. Cleary has an NTC. And the rest of those guys don't have much value besides Fil

I agree that is extremely unlikely either get traded, but Franzen's contract probably isn't viewed as the problem fans seem to think it is. Its long, but at under 4 million a season the value for what you get is fantastic.

Also Cleary had a no trade clause but it expired 30 days before the last trade deadline.

People seriously overvalue high draft picks. How many top 5 or top 10 guys from the last 5 years are stars today? Ask Edmonton. No one in this draft will be able to fill Datsyuk's shoes if he leaves after next year. The chance that Seth Jones will be a superstar d-man for the next 20 years is so small that it doesn't make sense to do the kind of risk-taking it would require to have a shot at him.

When Erik Karlsson was drafted, Ottawa fans were furious and though they made an awful pick. You NEVER know.

Keep being competetive, keep finding diamonds in the rough in the draft, keep looking for undrafted players to take a chance on.. build from within, stay classy, stay a model organization that players are likely to want to play for.

You are kidding right? Ok.... lets just look at top 10 picks from the last 5 drafts, and I aqm sure I will miss plenty....

2012:

nail already made it-which is very rare in the first year.

2011:

Nugent-Hopkins

landsekog

larsson

Couturier

hamilton

brodin

2010:

Hall

segin

Skinner

2009:

Taveras

Hedman

Duchene

Kane

Schenn

OEL

kadri

2008:

Stamkos

Doughty

Bogosian

Schenn

And many more in later picks. No there is no sure things. or very few. But waiting for lightening to strike for a 4th time is a sure fire way to lose 50 games per year.

Nice logic and I fully agree here. Being sellers when there aren't a lot of sellers, especially in a shortened season is the right thing to do. Let's face reality here even if the Detroit Red Wings are making the Playoffs, it will not be a deep run so what is the point? Just to get in and bounced out against some western juggernaut team? I'd rather look at the big picture here and say screw the streak, get as many draft picks as possible and finally not having to pin so much hope on high risk high reward picks.

I've looked at the list and there are lot of good defenders available in this draft class, if Holland can get a second first rounder for Filpula, I say go for it and draft a shutdown and offensive defenseman in the first round, or use both to move up.

But anyways I am starting to dislike this league a lot, enjoyed the pre 2004 days much more and trade deadlines, UFA days actually meant something back then.

Guest irishock

The streak is just a number. The dominance era has already ended when Lidstrom retired.

Nice logic and I fully agree here. Being sellers when there aren't a lot of sellers, especially in a shortened season is the right thing to do. Let's face reality here even if the Detroit Red Wings are making the Playoffs, it will not be a deep run so what is the point? Just to get in and bounced out against some western juggernaut team? I'd rather look at the big picture here and say screw the streak, get as many draft picks as possible and finally not having to pin so much hope on high risk high reward picks.

I've looked at the list and there are lot of good defenders available in this draft class, if Holland can get a second first rounder for Filpula, I say go for it and draft a shutdown and offensive defenseman in the first round, or use both to move up.

But anyways I am starting to dislike this league a lot, enjoyed the pre 2004 days much more and trade deadlines, UFA days actually meant something back then.

Picks ys, get as many as possible. I disagree with the need for Dmen though. We have severl good young prospects already. It is at F that we have nothing coming. Now yes if a super drops to us, take him. But we need several big young mobile preferably RH shooting F/C's.

Can't sell off until the new GM is in place. I hope Jimmy D & Mr. I face the truth and just accept that Holland has jumped the shark & that he has done absolutely nothing for three years that made this team more competative. I really like JT but our d is so bad it is beyond one or two tweaks. Pluss the wings move to the east. Holland blows!

Okay, what some people also seem to miss is that the current CBA really is built to reward young teams, With the really favorable ELC rules, veteran teams are not the best way to win in the cap world. Add to this that Gaustad got a first round pick in return (a career fourth liner with decent face off ability) should show you that Cleary, White and Flip could all fetch a first rounder or even more.

Guest Johnz96

Okay, what some people also seem to miss is that the current CBA really is built to reward young teams, With the really favorable ELC rules, veteran teams are not the best way to win in the cap world. Add to this that Gaustad got a first round pick in return (a career fourth liner with decent face off ability) should show you that Cleary, White and Flip could all fetch a first rounder or even more.

Gaustad's pugilistic ability adds value

Can't sell off until the new GM is in place. I hope Jimmy D & Mr. I face the truth and just accept that Holland has jumped the shark & that he has done absolutely nothing for three years that made this team more competative. I really like JT but our d is so bad it is beyond one or two tweaks. Pluss the wings move to the east. Holland blows!

The chances of the Wings getting a new GM is 0%.

Its extremely rare for a GM to be fired before his coach so until Babcock gets the Ax, Holland will be our GM.

Even when they do decide to make a change, its more likely Holland gets Promoted to Jimmy D's job, Jimmy D retires and Nill takes over as GM. That probably won't change much as Holland and Nill are both scouts at heart who seem to have the same philosophy of building through the draft and allowing your prospects to develop outside the NHL.

Besides not matter who the GM is, the wings won't be "selling off". They might move some of their extra parts but the core won't be going anywhere.

Gaustad's pugilistic ability adds value

Yep, it really pushed Nashville over the edge for their first cup... oh wait. The point is, hes not really what one would call a rare player, and he was worth a first.

If this draft is so deep, someone post some scenarios for 1st and 2nd round picks, along with whatever SANE trades could be made for additional picks. Enough arguing lol

ask edmonton??????????? are you like serious right now????? why just because there not going into the playoffs this year you dont think eberle hall hopkins yakupov gagner are or will be stars????

thats just nonsense

and for the record i would like to keep filppula but if hes asking for 5+ a year and he will likely ask for 5-8 yrs then hes gotta go , he got one season of 60+ pts hes been too inconsistent to give 5 million a year and we got guys coming up next year and next few years who should be able to contend for a top 6 spot

as for the person above who mentioned cleary and white would fetch us 1st rounders thats just nonsense i think filppula is the only one who might be able to fetch us a 1st pick from a contender especially to the team that loses out on iginla , we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for white and REALLY lucky for a 2nd round pick for cleary but that might be pushing it

I agree but its just not how Holland does things. Instead of selling and committing to a rebuild. He will try and buy something making us a lose a first rounder and the likes of Tatar or Nyquist. It'll be an effort to win now when in reality it'll keep us at average for longer.

Look at the too teams in the west. Chicago has what 6 stars then a bunch of average guys. The ducks got like four or five and a bunch of average guys. In the NHL now you won't have stars on all fours lines like we used to because of the cap. The problem is even though the wings have dats we have no one with him making it one of the worst number one or two lines we have seen.

We won't be able to acquire the top 6 type forward we need which is why selling is better now. But I'm sure Holland will find our Quincey at forward and lose our first rounder. I have total faith in that as he has more experience doing that than selling.

Holland hasn't made a major deadline move in years, so I don't know why you'd think he'd trade Nyquist or Tatar.

I think it's pretty obvious that Holland and company are looking to the future.

If this draft is so deep, someone post some scenarios for 1st and 2nd round picks, along with whatever SANE trades could be made for additional picks. Enough arguing lol

Let's say @ 15 Anthony Mantha. Then in the 2nd Valentine Zykov may still be available. Fashing in the 3rd.

The problem with this idea is that it's actually NOT a deep draft...2013 NHL draft lacks depth of talent

We're not getting a top 10 draft pick, that's pretty much guaranteed. We don't need to sell and blow up a decent team to take a gamble on a pick who is very likely not to work out. Given that the success rate of where we'd be drafting, there's a < 50% of our first round pick working out (see The Value of a (First-Half) First Round Draft Pick). And it's extremely unlikely that the player we picked would ever be better than the player we traded to get the pick, even if said pick does manage to make it to the NHL at all.

So, really I'd rather just watch the Wings in the playoffs.

Right blowing up the team will mean we will be trading to teams that will be drafting in the 20-30 spots. If we were in 100% rebuild mode, those aren't picks that you want for a rebuild.

Edit: I'll add, I wouldn't count on too many moves at the deadline. With the 48 game season, a number of teams are still in the race. The only team probably willing to unload guys is Buffalo.

Edited by Barrie

We really need to sell unless Kenny does something monumental and acquires an elite defenseman. Otherwise I really believe we need to maximize Filppula's value to us and the options are to sell high on him at the deadline or sign him to an almost certainly bloated contract for 5+ years and likely watch him immediatly disappoint on it. I say trade him.

If Fil wants more then 3.5-4m then he should be traded. He is not worth anymore. I really question what he might be worth on the market.

Yes.

If Fil wants more then 3.5-4m then he should be traded. He is not worth anymore. I really question what he might be worth on the market.

I think he would get 5m+ on the open market. The problem with trading him is the only skilled (projected) top-6 center close to the NHL in the Wings' system is Jarnkrok. If Z or Dats gets inured (or Dats leaves), the Wings could be short on center depth.

Stupid pass, hit was devastating but it looked clean. I'm totally confused by the penalty? I've never heard of a 5 minute penalty for interference??? And a game misconduct for interference? I hate those kinda hits because they can end a career legal or not.

Stupid pass, hit was devastating but it looked clean. I'm totally confused by the penalty? I've never heard of a 5 minute penalty for interference??? And a game misconduct for interference? I hate those kinda hits because they can end a career legal or not.

I'm not sure how and why you posted that in this thread lol.