24 replies to this topic

#1 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Wings should sign him, he seems to score.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#2 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

He has as many goals as David Booth does, and they both scored their only goal into an empty net haha

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#3 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Another addition to a great career, congrats.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#4 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brodeur

Occasionally replace Franzen with Young Floating Mike Babcock.

#5 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Great guy, great player...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#6 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Best goalie i have ever seen play. Congrats to marty!

#7 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Not the "typical" empty netter scored by a goalie, but his goal never-the-less :-)

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#8 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Another tick in the brilliant career of Marty Brodeur. Prob my all time favorite goalie and easily in the top 3 of greatest tenders of all time. Congrats Marty.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#9 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Always has been and will be my favorite 'tendy. Got his autograph as well! :)

Posted Image

#10 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Sorry I can't stand Brodeur. Even if he is one of the best ever just like Patrick Roy can't stand either of them. Very lucky goal but nonetheless congrats to him.

Did I mention that was "lucky?"

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 22 March 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#11 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

He's no Terry Sawchuck but good for him.

#12 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

Sorry I can't stand Brodeur. Even if he is one of the best ever just like Patrick Roy can't stand either of them. Very lucky goal but nonetheless congrats to him.

For obvious reasons I can assume why you dislike Roy, but curious as to why so much dislike for MB?

Posted Image

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Wow.  I probably should point out that EVERY SINGLE goal ever scored by a goalie is lucky.  It's not like they're out there taking one timers, so to emphasize it's "luckiness" is sort of redundant.  The luckiness of it is what makes it so rare and odd.  Like a freakshow, but with less terror. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well, this one is more lucky than most.  There was a delayed penalty coming and Brodeur touched the puck, but didn't have enough to be considered in possession, so no whistle.  The puck then gets picked up by Staal I believe who then passes to a teammate but misses, deflects off the boards and down the ice into the empty net.

Wow.  I probably should point out that EVERY SINGLE goal ever scored by a goalie is lucky.  It's not like they're out there taking one timers, so to emphasize it's "luckiness" is sort of redundant.  The luckiness of it is what makes it so rare and odd.  Like a freakshow, but with less terror. 

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well, this one is more lucky than most.  There was a delayed penalty coming and Brodeur touched the puck, but didn't have enough to be considered in possession, so no whistle.  The puck then gets picked up by Staal I believe who then passes to a teammate but misses, deflects off the boards and down the ice into the empty net.

Again, anytime a goalie scores it's because of luck, not because of skill.  You're splitting hairs for some reason that I can't understand. 

Also, it's really not that strange though it's still really lucky.  The exact same scenario happened last year between the same two teams when Cam Ward was credited with a goal after Kovalchuk back passed down the ice on a delayed penalty.  Lucky, yes.  Luckier that other goalie goals, no. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#16 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Congrats to marty, lucky but congrats

IPB Image

#17 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Again, anytime a goalie scores it's because of luck, not because of skill.  You're splitting hairs for some reason that I can't understand. 

Also, it's really not that strange though it's still really lucky.  The exact same scenario happened last year between the same two teams when Cam Ward was credited with a goal after Kovalchuk back passed down the ice on a delayed penalty.  Lucky, yes.  Luckier that other goalie goals, no. 

I think you missed my main point.  I would argue though that whenever a goalie scores, it's not always because of luck.  There has been a few times where it was because of their good shooting ability.  Not all goalies could should shoot the puck down the ice into a net like Hextall.  Net being empty is lucky I guess, but that's completely different than a scenario where the goalie happened to be the last that touched it.

My point on this one is that he was extremely lucky that the play wasn't stopped when he touched the puck.

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I disagree that anytime a goalie scores it's luck and would argue this was luckier than several other goaltender's goals, as Marty didn't even shoot this one.  He was just last to touch it.

On his and other goals, like Osgood's and Hextalls, they at least actually shot the puck at the empty net and were trying to score. 

Not really surprising Marty would score again given his puckhandling ability.  I just wouldn't have guessed it'd happen this away. 

#19 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I disagree that anytime a goalie scores it's luck and would argue this was luckier than several other goaltender's goals, as Marty didn't even shoot this one.  He was just last to touch it.

On his and other goals, like Osgood's and Hextalls, they at least actually shot the puck at the empty net and were trying to score. 

Not really surprising Marty would score again given his puckhandling ability.  I just wouldn't have guessed it'd happen this away. 

Right, but if you compare the number of times in a given season there's an empty net, versus the number of times goalies have scored you have to come to the conclusion that luck was involved in each one, if not it would happen more often.  Are some stranger than others?  Sure.  But every time a goalie scores it's strange, so again...splitting hairs. 

Edit:  Actually, according to this the majority of goalie tallies have come in the same manner as Brodeur's last night.  As such, statistically it's far "luckier" to shoot the puck and score for a goalie than to score as the last person who touched the  puck before the opposition shot into their own net. 

http://en.wikipedia...._in_an_NHL_game

Edited by kipwinger, 22 March 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#20 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

For obvious reasons I can assume why you dislike Roy, but curious as to why so much dislike for MB?

Gravel in my mouth from the 95 Cup final. Also Brodeur off the ice don't get me started. Say 03 finals time period. Sleeping with your wife's sister isn't very classy.