• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Brodeur gets 3rd career goal

Rate this topic

Sorry I can't stand Brodeur. Even if he is one of the best ever just like Patrick Roy can't stand either of them. Very lucky goal but nonetheless congrats to him.

Did I mention that was "lucky?"

For obvious reasons I can assume why you dislike Roy, but curious as to why so much dislike for MB?

Sorry I can't stand Brodeur. Even if he is one of the best ever just like Patrick Roy can't stand either of them. Very lucky goal but nonetheless congrats to him.

Did I mention that was "lucky?"

Wow. I probably should point out that EVERY SINGLE goal ever scored by a goalie is lucky. It's not like they're out there taking one timers, so to emphasize it's "luckiness" is sort of redundant. The luckiness of it is what makes it so rare and odd. Like a freakshow, but with less terror.

Well, this one is more lucky than most. There was a delayed penalty coming and Brodeur touched the puck, but didn't have enough to be considered in possession, so no whistle. The puck then gets picked up by Staal I believe who then passes to a teammate but misses, deflects off the boards and down the ice into the empty net.

Wow. I probably should point out that EVERY SINGLE goal ever scored by a goalie is lucky. It's not like they're out there taking one timers, so to emphasize it's "luckiness" is sort of redundant. The luckiness of it is what makes it so rare and odd. Like a freakshow, but with less terror.

Well, this one is more lucky than most. There was a delayed penalty coming and Brodeur touched the puck, but didn't have enough to be considered in possession, so no whistle. The puck then gets picked up by Staal I believe who then passes to a teammate but misses, deflects off the boards and down the ice into the empty net.

Again, anytime a goalie scores it's because of luck, not because of skill. You're splitting hairs for some reason that I can't understand.

Also, it's really not that strange though it's still really lucky. The exact same scenario happened last year between the same two teams when Cam Ward was credited with a goal after Kovalchuk back passed down the ice on a delayed penalty. Lucky, yes. Luckier that other goalie goals, no.

Again, anytime a goalie scores it's because of luck, not because of skill. You're splitting hairs for some reason that I can't understand.

Also, it's really not that strange though it's still really lucky. The exact same scenario happened last year between the same two teams when Cam Ward was credited with a goal after Kovalchuk back passed down the ice on a delayed penalty. Lucky, yes. Luckier that other goalie goals, no.

I think you missed my main point. I would argue though that whenever a goalie scores, it's not always because of luck. There has been a few times where it was because of their good shooting ability. Not all goalies could should shoot the puck down the ice into a net like Hextall. Net being empty is lucky I guess, but that's completely different than a scenario where the goalie happened to be the last that touched it.

My point on this one is that he was extremely lucky that the play wasn't stopped when he touched the puck.

I disagree that anytime a goalie scores it's luck and would argue this was luckier than several other goaltender's goals, as Marty didn't even shoot this one. He was just last to touch it.

On his and other goals, like Osgood's and Hextalls, they at least actually shot the puck at the empty net and were trying to score.

Not really surprising Marty would score again given his puckhandling ability. I just wouldn't have guessed it'd happen this away.

I disagree that anytime a goalie scores it's luck and would argue this was luckier than several other goaltender's goals, as Marty didn't even shoot this one. He was just last to touch it.

On his and other goals, like Osgood's and Hextalls, they at least actually shot the puck at the empty net and were trying to score.

Not really surprising Marty would score again given his puckhandling ability. I just wouldn't have guessed it'd happen this away.

Right, but if you compare the number of times in a given season there's an empty net, versus the number of times goalies have scored you have to come to the conclusion that luck was involved in each one, if not it would happen more often. Are some stranger than others? Sure. But every time a goalie scores it's strange, so again...splitting hairs.

Edit: Actually, according to this the majority of goalie tallies have come in the same manner as Brodeur's last night. As such, statistically it's far "luckier" to shoot the puck and score for a goalie than to score as the last person who touched the puck before the opposition shot into their own net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goaltenders_who_have_scored_a_goal_in_an_NHL_game

Edited by kipwinger

Right, but if you compare the number of times in a given season there's an empty net, versus the number of times goalies have scored you have to come to the conclusion that luck was involved in each one, if not it would happen more often. Are some stranger than others? Sure. But every time a goalie scores it's strange, so again...splitting hairs.

Edit: Actually, according to this the majority of goalie tallies have come in the same manner as Brodeur's last night. As such, statistically it's far "luckier" to shoot the puck and score for a goalie than to score as the last person who touched the puck before the opposition shot into their own net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goaltenders_who_have_scored_a_goal_in_an_NHL_game

That makes no sense. You are misusing the word lucky. It's lucky to have the other team throw the puck into their own net versus you actually taking the shot at an empty net. The reason more goalies are credited with goals that go in like this one last night is because most goalies don't try and take that shot. You mean to say it's less probable for a goalie to score by shooting the puck versus touching it last and having the other team put it in their own net. Not "statistically lucky" which is basically an oxymoron.

Another tick in the brilliant career of Marty Brodeur. Prob my all time favorite goalie and easily in the top 3 of greatest tenders of all time. Congrats Marty.

Hey, the guy is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but "easily" top 3 all time? Thats some pretty tough company. Most folks would have Roy + Hasek in there, but after that its a real crowd - Sawchuk, Tretiak etc.

That makes no sense. You are misusing the word lucky. It's lucky to have the other team throw the puck into their own net versus you actually taking the shot at an empty net. The reason more goalies are credited with goals that go in like this one last night is because most goalies don't try and take that shot. You mean to say it's less probable for a goalie to score by shooting the puck versus touching it last and having the other team put it in their own net. Not "statistically lucky" which is basically an oxymoron.

You should probably re-read the whole argument to fully understand the context that I was speaking in. I already stated that anytime a goalie scores it's a "lucky" thing. Someone else said that it's less "lucky" when a goalie shoots the puck rather than simple getting credited with the goal. My response was to suggest that shooting in a goal is probably more so because it almost never happens. It's far more common the other way around and as such, less "lucky". Nobody thinks it's lucky if the mail comes tomorrow, or a coin lands on heads vs. tails. Those things are likely to happen. In terms of goalie scoring, what happened last night with Brodeur (according past precedent) suggests that it's much more likely to occur than the alternative, and therefore less "lucky".

You should probably re-read the whole argument to fully understand the context that I was speaking in. I already stated that anytime a goalie scores it's a "lucky" thing. Someone else said that it's less "lucky" when a goalie shoots the puck rather than simple getting credited with the goal. My response was to suggest that shooting in a goal is probably more so because it almost never happens. It's far more common the other way around and as such, less "lucky". Nobody thinks it's lucky if the mail comes tomorrow, or a coin lands on heads vs. tails. Those things are likely to happen. In terms of goalie scoring, what happened last night with Brodeur (according past precedent) suggests that it's much more likely to occur than the alternative, and therefore less "lucky".

I read the whole thread. It's only one page. I get what you're saying but you're implying goalies try to shoot the puck into the net on a regular basis. If there was an empty net and the goalies objective was to score a goal (say it's practice or something) and the other teams objective was to not let the puck be put into their own empty net, the goalie would score more so by shooting the puck into the empty net versus the other team making a bad pass that ends up in their net. Just because something happens more often than the other scenario doesn't make it "less lucky" when the circumstances are not a constant.

I guess we have different ways of looking at it.

To me, happening to touch the puck right before an opposing player shoots it into his own net is a lot luckier than actually shooting the puck at the net yourself and scoring the goal.

There's not many goalies who can get a shot off quick enough, fire the puck that far with any accuracy, and have a chance at an open net. It's not surprising there haven't been many goals scored that way. But that doesn't make it just luck.