• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

That's your problem right there, it's not just the addition of Sammy, Cola, and Bert.  It's the addition of those guys plus Helm.  AND, it's a team in which Flip, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, didn't all miss significant time with injuries as well. 

None of Nyquist, Tatar, or Andersson have a game winning goal, and only 3 of their combined 8 goals came in wins.  While they've all played good, none of them has been a difference maker thus far.  So I'll amend my statement and say that having Helm, Bertuzzi, and Sammy in the lineup doesn't guarantee that we'd have done better, but it does mean that we probably couldn't have done worse.  Add to this the fact that all three of them would have made their respective lines much better, Helm obviously, and Bert and Sammy would certainly produce more with Datsyuk than Cleary and Abby have.  Finally, these numbers don't even take into account how many more games we likely would have made more competitive with fewer defensive injuries.  As well as he's played, Lashoff on the top pairing is much worse than Ericsson (who missed time) and as we've seen, Smith and Kindl in the lineup makes the team better than it is without them. 

So again, our early season performance is not indicative of the team overall, and therefore shouldn't be used as a baseline for projections. 

I think its a baseline for the team, because I really feel that the over performance of Kindl, Ericsson, and Lashoff make this a zero sum gain. What I mean is, if all three were playing like they were projected to at the beginning of this season, the team would be a lot closer to the bottom.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think its a baseline for the team, because I really feel that the over performance of Kindl, Ericsson, and Lashoff make this a zero sum gain. What I mean is, if all three were playing like they were projected to at the beginning of this season, the team would be a lot closer to the bottom.

Even without them playing above their heads you're still talking about a team in which Helm, Bertuzzi, Sammy, and Filppula missed significant time and one in which Colaiacovo and White (both projected to play significant time) either under performed or didn't perform at all. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

If every team in the league maintains their current pace, then the standings at the end of the year will look pretty much identical to what they are now.  ;)

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

First of all anyone who is a realist thought the wings would be where we are. Second of all 55 pts to get in is a pure guess. And lastly with the injuries and potential trades for us or other teams. There is a lot that can happen. One negative though which someone posted. I doubt the rest of our guys being health helps us. I'm not a Sammy fan and idk what Bert can really give us any more.

#25 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

The OP posted a mathematical example on the likelihood of making the playoffs. 

If you want to discuss the topic, great.  If you don't like the topic, don't post in the thread.  Pretty simple.

I've deleted posts.  Any further personal attacks will result in suspension. 

My post was not intended as a personal attack, just stating a fact that I think Op himself would agree with but I will be careful to not post anything that may be misconstrued as such

#26 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ah, no worries here, we'll make the playoffs. Despite all the road games left, we seem to be playing well on the road lately.

Hey, look who said "we seem to be playing well on the road lately" before the games in Anaheim :punk:! Keep it going in Phoenix boys.

Edited by Barrie, 24 March 2013 - 10:04 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#27 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Backhand Shelf just published an article about what records each team needs to make the playoffs

http://blogs.thescor...-make-playoffs/

West is shown below, go to the article to find the East

west.jpg

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.