• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

NHL penalties/suspensions for hits getting out of hand.

Rate this topic

I know it is a hot topic and we should discuss it here. Edler gets suspended for trying to avoid smith who was in the same exact situation last year with Shaw. Smith dove and now is faking concussion symptoms because his team is going nowhere and he has nothing to lose.

Lupul barely touched Hedmen who falls like a ton of bricks. Obvious dive. Yes what Lupul did should be illegal but he barely touched him.

Perry suspended 4 games for literally brushing against a guy who was lost in space and wrecked himself.

Zolnierczyk hammers Lundin and leaves his feet AFTER contact... suspended.

Nash blatantly jumps and nails Kopecky in the back of the head... nothing. Looked like it was a reaction play. Now this one may be the right call but then how can you suspend the others for doing the same thing (other than the Lupul hit which should have been a penalty and not a suspension)?

Kronwall 4 minutes for hitting too hard.

Smith turns at the end boards at the last second, Glencross who is already committed hits him and is penalized.

There are probably at least 3 dozen examples out there already this season of penalties called on hits where the player being hit is the one to blame or where a guy simply hits a guy "too hard" or "too angrily".

It is starting to get ridiculous. I can give you examples of events exactly the same as these events in the past in which nobody batted an eye over because it is part of the game. The next step is to remove hitting all together and sometimes I wish they would just get it over with quick instead of this slow and painful degradation.

This is NHL edition is the worst I've seen since almost a decade:

- Original 6 teams aren't allowed to use their powers anymore although they are the backbone of this ........... league

- random punished for comparable hits, if Lupul gets 2 so has Nash and Perry (4 games whom are you kidding Shanahan?). Edler to looked like 1 at best..

- N o H it L eague

- N o E nforcer L eague

people aren't allowed to hit other players anymore, enforcers going after pests are getting thrown out of games and on top of that, this bushleague even wants to remove player freedom by discussing mandatory visor for ADULTS - complete joke

btw. big bad Shanahan look at your own career and stop punsihing the result instead of the action or at least know the difference between fake and r eal injuries.

Edited by frankgrimes

another embarrassing call. There was nothing high, vicious, illegal at all about this hit.

No, but it was late. Certainly not worthy of a game misconduct, however.

All you've got to do now to get a guy kicked out of a game is hold your hand to your face after a hit.

No, but it was late. Certainly not worthy of a game misconduct, however.

All you've got to do now to get a guy kicked out of a game is hold your hand to your face after a hit.

That was not a late hit unless we use the counting method of a 90 year old. There was incidental contact that caused the blood for anisimov, looked to be from the helmet/visor.

...Kronwall 4 minutes for hitting too hard....

Don't want to get in to the rest of your post, but I've seen a few people mention this, so I feel I should point out that Kronwall was penalized for high-sticking, not for the hit. His stick certainly was high, and did seem to catch Coyle in the visor...

That was not a late hit unless we use the counting method of a 90 year old. There was incidental contact that caused the blood for anisimov, looked to be from the helmet/visor.

That was pretty late for an open ice hit.

Along the boards and if you let up a bit, probably ok.

It's not surprising Edler got suspended because GM's told Shanny to protect goalies more after Lucic hit Miller. It's unfortunate that it happened on an incident with Smith, who seeks out these situations and makes ridiculous dives to draw calls. This will only reinforce that behavior from him.

And I think Kronwall deserved a high sticking penalty. He got very lucky with that hit because he barely caught body. Coming in backwards like that if he were just a bit more off he would've gotten all head and be sitting games.

Don't want to get in to the rest of your post, but I've seen a few people mention this, so I feel I should point out that Kronwall was penalized for high-sticking, not for the hit. His stick certainly was high, and did seem to catch Coyle in the visor...

If you watch the replay, his stick did not touch him.

I have, and it looks like it catches his visor...

Regardless, the fact is he was penalized for high-sticking, rather than for the hit. You might argue that the refs were just looking for a penalty because of the hit, but that's just baseless speculation.

So you are suggesting taking violence out of the sport? Clune hit Anisimov square in the chest, the injury was incidental.

I am just providing a possible explanation as to why NHL is doing this. Personally I do not care that much. I would not want for the few players, whom I like to watch, to be knocked out of the game. But otherwise I enjoy skill, speed and scoring more than gritty and physical play so I can live with diminished hitting.

So you are suggesting taking violence out of the sport? Clune hit Anisimov square in the chest, the injury was incidental.

Clune's stick is straight up over his head, he follows through with his left arm like he's throwing an elbow, and Anisimov ended up bloodied.

In the end Clune did hit him in the chest, a little late. But I'm guessing the refs were (over)reacting to those other factors.

Clune jumped before contact and was over the 1 second leeway you normally get from officials.

He deserved the penalty.

For the most part I think Shanny has done a good job in charge of discipline. I don't seem to have any trouble guessing the punishment he'll hand down so he's been pretty consistent.

07734602-2602-48E5-9E70-4D52F2B476A2-192

Sure looks like it made contact to me.

Clune jumped before contact and was over the 1 second leeway you normally get from officials.

He deserved the penalty.

For the most part I think Shanny has done a good job in charge of discipline. I don't seem to have any trouble guessing the punishment he'll hand down so he's been pretty consistent.

07734602-2602-48E5-9E70-4D52F2B476A2-192

Sure looks like it made contact to me.

lol posting a terrible quality pic to prove your point.. the hd video clearly shows it not touching and going over him. Ill go ahead and say that pic clearly shows abdelkader grabbing his leg.

lol posting a terrible quality pic to prove your point.. the hd video clearly shows it not touching and going over him. Ill go ahead and say that pic clearly shows abdelkader grabbing his leg.

That is a still from the HD video.

I'm a huge Kronwall fan and normally the first to defend his hits, but that was an obvious high stick.