• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jollymania

NHL penalties/suspensions for hits getting out of hand.

Rate this topic

if you dont want to get hit in the head keep your head up. if you dont want to get boarded dont be in a dangerous distance from the boards (nt referring to from behind boarding).

While it is prudent for a player to mind his surroundings and try to avoid getting hit the only player responsible for an illegal hit is the one delivering it. I always find it fascinating when "blaming the victim" argument is being brought up.

While it is prudent for a player to mind his surroundings and try to avoid getting hit the only player responsible for an illegal hit is the one delivering it. I always find it fascinating when "blaming the victim" argument is being brought up.

So a boarding play where a player turns at the last second should not be illegal? That is the point of this thread.

I don't think theres a chance we will get to use physicality against the hawks without being penalized:

Straight up shoulder to shoulder gets caught for "charging". Edited by jollymania

Um, Stoll was skating with his head like 2 foot above the ice all hunched over, how do you not make any head contact (of which there was barely any)... it was shoulder to shoulder at worst.

Edited by Rhah

Guest RedWingsDad

Looked pretty late to me, and I'm only in my early 80s.

Didn't look late at all, he had released the puck less than half second earlier... that's not late.

Hard to say if he elbowed him in the face, but either way that's a non-factor since the call was interference, not elbowing.

Edited by RedWingsDad

I don't think theres a chance we will get to use physicality against the hawks without being penalized:

Straight up shoulder to shoulder gets caught for "charging".

It didn't look that bad to me either, though honestly I'd be completely fine with Torres getting a penalty and preferably a suspension for every hit he throws for the rest of his career .

It was a reputation call, but he's built a career on hits that often vary from questionable to outright headhunting.

There've been some awful calls on clean hits for sure. But someone could also start a thread of all the big hits this season and argue that the league is hitting harder than ever.

A few garbage calls doesn't mean the league is doomed.

It didn't look that bad to me either, though honestly I'd be completely fine with Torres getting a penalty and preferably a suspension for every hit he throws for the rest of his career .

It was a reputation call, but he's built a career on hits that often vary from questionable to outright headhunting.

There've been some awful calls on clean hits for sure. But someone could also start a thread of all the big hits this season and argue that the league is hitting harder than ever.

A few garbage calls doesn't mean the league is doomed.

This was very similar to a hit to the hit Desjardins got ejected for on mayers. If I am a sharks fan I'm pissed because that is 2 s*** penalties against my team. Sounds like Torres is gonna be suspended too. The league is a joke.

Looked pretty late to me, and I'm only in my early 80s.

It also looked late to me, but whatever.....

People seem to forget that these people are also assets. When an asset gets injured then the fanbase and team suffers. Especially in the salary cap world where you can't just sign all the best players. Do I think the NHL is wimping out to a certain extent? Yes. However, I also believe that a vast majority of calls are the right ones. Hitting is still in the game. Fighting is still in the game. People need to stop whining about how players can't take the heads off of other players just because they feel like it.

The Cleary boatding call was garbage, I thought.

I think the mule one was too on Allen.

It also looked late to me, but whatever.....

People seem to forget that these people are also assets. When an asset gets injured then the fanbase and team suffers. Especially in the salary cap world where you can't just sign all the best players. Do I think the NHL is wimping out to a certain extent? Yes. However, I also believe that a vast majority of calls are the right ones. Hitting is still in the game. Fighting is still in the game. People need to stop whining about how players can't take the heads off of other players just because they feel like it.

Wouldn't you love a team that could avoid big hits yet give them out? That is part of the game that shouldn't be lost. I feel like that's how the Devil's won a few cups, the fans loved it.

This was very similar to a hit to the hit Desjardins got ejected for on mayers. If I am a sharks fan I'm pissed because that is 2 s*** penalties against my team. Sounds like Torres is gonna be suspended too. The league is a joke.

but its fine for our players to get cross checked in the head, or smashed head first into the boards from behind... what a joke

but its fine for our players to get cross checked in the head, or smashed head first into the boards from behind... what a joke

Yeah. That hit by Shaw is what the league should be trying to eliminate. There have been equally severe hits that have resulted in suspension. The league is going to turn into a joke if they don't do something about this.

Reputation call for sure. After last year's suspension, Torres cleaned up his act this year. Seventeen total penalty minutes during the regular season. Gets called for charging, which was questionable. A suspension would be a joke, but will surely be the outcome.

If you want to avoid being hit, just keep putting yourself in vulnerable positions. Or is that what we are already seeing happen? Players will adjust to whatever works because that is what they do, compete. Whether that is diving, embellishing, or putting yourself in a vulnerable position because you know if you're hit, there will be a penalty coming to the other team. Easy peasy.

They are seriously offering Torres in-person hearing for that? Ridiculous.

It is pretty clear the NHL is mainly focusing on getting big hits out of the game. They have turned a blind eye to tons of elbows, stick work, and slewfoots in the past few years.

Torres suspended for the rest of the Kings series:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 34m

Basically league sees this as a 3- to 6-game suspension for Torres. League felt head was primary point of contact. Torres history also key

I didn't think the hit was that bad, but from the league's perspective you have a player who keeps being involved in hits to players heads. given the angle Torres hit from, there was little chance he wouldn't hit Stoll's head. And a good chance he would catch little or none of his body.

Like I've said before I think Torres is a headhunter so the longer he sits the better.

Torres suspended the rest of the series. How the f*** is that fair considering he was suspended 25 games for hit against Hossa last year? The Coyotes sorely missed him for the remainder of the playoffs but now that he is a Shark it is only up to 6 games? Both hits don't look to be that different, and Torres is a repeat offender. Player injury should not play a direct role in the length of suspension, but how is this consistent? Great job NHL.

Torres suspended for the rest of the Kings series:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 34m

Basically league sees this as a 3- to 6-game suspension for Torres. League felt head was primary point of contact. Torres history also key

I didn't think the hit was that bad, but from the league's perspective you have a player who keeps being involved in hits to players heads. given the angle Torres hit from, there was little chance he wouldn't hit Stoll's head. And a good chance he would catch little or none of his body.

Like I've said before I think Torres is a headhunter so the longer he sits the better.

even sharks fans think that

even sharks fans think that

I have to say, in spite of how irritating players on the Sharks can be, my experience with Sharks fans online (mostly on hfboards) has been surprisingly good. That place is often chock full o' nuts, but in general they seem to be the most level headed, friendliest fans.

Torres suspended the rest of the series. How the f*** is that fair considering he was suspended 25 games for hit against Hossa last year? The Coyotes sorely missed him for the remainder of the playoffs but now that he is a Shark it is only up to 6 games? Both hits don't look to be that different, and Torres is a repeat offender. Player injury should not play a direct role in the length of suspension, but how is this consistent? Great job NHL.

Both the type of hit and the end result are different.

Edited by Zetts

Guest DeGraa55

No hitting league.

I know people are sick of hearing and saying it. But come on. Its pretty clear that's the way they're going. Could you imagine if shanahsn played now? He would be suspended all year. This league is getting much worse.

Like I've said before I'm all for players safety. There is A LOT of stuff that needs to be cleaned up. Stuff like boarding, leaving your feet, hits to head need to go as well as the severe cross checks and slashes.

But the stuff guys get suspended for us a joke. If someone get hurt bam suspension. Its gone too far in some cases and not far enough in others.