Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

NHL penalties/suspensions for hits getting out of hand.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

another embarrassing call. There was nothing high, vicious, illegal at all about this hit.

What an absolute joke. That's a 2 minute minor at the very most, if you wanna call that hit late. He was cut because of his visor.

This league is really turning into a joke.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

So you are suggesting taking violence out of the sport? Clune hit Anisimov square in the chest, the injury was incidental.

Clune jumped before contact and was over the 1 second leeway you normally get from officials.

He deserved the penalty.

For the most part I think Shanny has done a good job in charge of discipline. I don't seem to have any trouble guessing the punishment he'll hand down so he's been pretty consistent.

If you watch the replay, his stick did not touch him.

07734602-2602-48E5-9E70-4D52F2B476A2-192

Sure looks like it made contact to me.

#23 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Clune jumped before contact and was over the 1 second leeway you normally get from officials.

He deserved the penalty.

For the most part I think Shanny has done a good job in charge of discipline. I don't seem to have any trouble guessing the punishment he'll hand down so he's been pretty consistent.

07734602-2602-48E5-9E70-4D52F2B476A2-192

Sure looks like it made contact to me.

lol posting a terrible quality pic to prove your point.. the hd video clearly shows it not touching and going over him. Ill go ahead and say that pic clearly shows abdelkader grabbing his leg.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#24 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

lol posting a terrible quality pic to prove your point.. the hd video clearly shows it not touching and going over him. Ill go ahead and say that pic clearly shows abdelkader grabbing his leg.

That is a still from the HD video. 

I'm a huge Kronwall fan and normally the first to defend his hits, but that was an obvious high stick.

#25 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

if you dont want to get hit in the head keep your head up. if you dont want to get boarded dont be in a dangerous distance from the boards (nt referring to from behind boarding). 

#26 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

if you dont want to get hit in the head keep your head up. if you dont want to get boarded dont be in a dangerous distance from the boards (nt referring to from behind boarding). 

While it is prudent for a player to mind his surroundings and try to avoid getting hit the only player responsible for an illegal hit is the one delivering it. I always find it fascinating when "blaming the victim" argument is being brought up.

#27 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

While it is prudent for a player to mind his surroundings and try to avoid getting hit the only player responsible for an illegal hit is the one delivering it. I always find it fascinating when "blaming the victim" argument is being brought up.

So a boarding play where a player turns at the last second should not be illegal? That is the point of this thread. 

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#28 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't think theres a chance we will get to use physicality against the hawks without being penalized:

Straight up shoulder to shoulder gets caught for "charging".

Edited by jollymania, 15 May 2013 - 09:57 AM.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#29 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Um, Stoll was skating with his head like 2 foot above the ice all hunched over, how do you not make any head contact (of which there was barely any)... it was shoulder to shoulder at worst.

Edited by Rhah, 15 May 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#30 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Looked pretty late to me, and I'm only in my early 80s. 

Didn't look late at all, he had released the puck less than half second earlier... that's not late.

Hard to say if he elbowed him in the face, but either way that's a non-factor since the call was interference, not elbowing.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 15 May 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I don't think theres a chance we will get to use physicality against the hawks without being penalized:

Straight up shoulder to shoulder gets caught for "charging".

It didn't look that bad to me either, though honestly I'd be completely fine with Torres getting a penalty and preferably a suspension for every hit he throws for the rest of his career .

It was a reputation call, but he's built a career on hits that often vary from questionable to outright headhunting.

There've been some awful calls on clean hits for sure. But someone could also start a thread of all the big hits this season and argue that the league is hitting harder than ever.

A few garbage calls doesn't mean the league is doomed.

#32 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

It didn't look that bad to me either, though honestly I'd be completely fine with Torres getting a penalty and preferably a suspension for every hit he throws for the rest of his career .

It was a reputation call, but he's built a career on hits that often vary from questionable to outright headhunting.

There've been some awful calls on clean hits for sure. But someone could also start a thread of all the big hits this season and argue that the league is hitting harder than ever.

A few garbage calls doesn't mean the league is doomed.

This was very similar to a hit to the hit Desjardins got ejected for on mayers. If I am a sharks fan I'm pissed because that is 2 s*** penalties against my team. Sounds like Torres is gonna be suspended too. The league is a joke.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#33 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Looked pretty late to me, and I'm only in my early 80s. 

It also looked late to me, but whatever.....

People seem to forget that these people are also assets.  When an asset gets injured then the fanbase and team suffers.  Especially in the salary cap world where you can't just sign all the best players.  Do I think the NHL is wimping out to a certain extent?  Yes.  However, I also believe that a vast majority of calls are the right ones.  Hitting is still in the game.  Fighting is still in the game.  People need to stop whining about how players can't take the heads off of other players just because they feel like it.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

The Cleary boatding call was garbage, I thought.

#35 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

The Cleary boatding call was garbage, I thought.

I think the mule one was too on Allen.

It also looked late to me, but whatever.....

People seem to forget that these people are also assets.  When an asset gets injured then the fanbase and team suffers.  Especially in the salary cap world where you can't just sign all the best players.  Do I think the NHL is wimping out to a certain extent?  Yes.  However, I also believe that a vast majority of calls are the right ones.  Hitting is still in the game.  Fighting is still in the game.  People need to stop whining about how players can't take the heads off of other players just because they feel like it.

Wouldn't you love a team that could avoid big hits yet give them out? That is part of the game that shouldn't be lost. I feel like that's how the Devil's won a few cups, the fans loved it. 

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

This was very similar to a hit to the hit Desjardins got ejected for on mayers. If I am a sharks fan I'm pissed because that is 2 s*** penalties against my team. Sounds like Torres is gonna be suspended too. The league is a joke.

but its fine for our players to get cross checked in the head, or smashed head first into the boards from behind... what a joke

#37 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

but its fine for our players to get cross checked in the head, or smashed head first into the boards from behind... what a joke

Yeah. That hit by Shaw is what the league should be trying to eliminate. There have been equally severe hits that have resulted in suspension. The league is going to turn into a joke if they don't do something about this.

40 for life.

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Torres' hit didn't look late. Stoll's head was down, and it didn't appear that Torres targeted the head.

He'll get suspended because of his name. Its stupid to punish (or not punish) players based on the actual hit, anyway.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 Canned Heat

Canned Heat

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Reputation call for sure. After last year's suspension, Torres cleaned up his act this year. Seventeen total penalty minutes during the regular season. Gets called for charging, which was questionable.  A suspension would be a joke, but will surely be the outcome.

#40 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

If you want to avoid being hit, just keep putting yourself in vulnerable positions.  Or is that what we are already seeing happen?  Players will adjust to whatever works because that is what they do, compete.  Whether that is diving, embellishing, or putting yourself in a vulnerable position because you know if you're hit, there will be a penalty coming to the other team.  Easy peasy.

They are seriously offering Torres in-person hearing for that?  Ridiculous.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30