Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

NHL penalties/suspensions for hits getting out of hand.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

but its fine for our players to get cross checked in the head, or smashed head first into the boards from behind... what a joke

It is pretty clear the NHL is mainly focusing on getting big hits out of the game. They have turned a blind eye to tons of elbows, stick work, and slewfoots in the past few years.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Don't forget Weberings.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Torres suspended for the rest of the Kings series:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 34m

Basically league sees this as a 3- to 6-game suspension for Torres. League felt head was primary point of contact. Torres history also key

I didn't think the hit was that bad, but from the league's perspective you have a player who keeps being involved in hits to players heads.  given the angle Torres hit from, there was little chance he wouldn't hit Stoll's head.  And a good chance he would catch little or none of his body.

Like I've said before I think Torres is a headhunter so the longer he sits the better.

#44 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Torres suspended the rest of the series. How the f*** is that fair considering he was suspended 25 games for hit against Hossa last year? The Coyotes sorely missed him for the remainder of the playoffs but now that he is a Shark it is only up to 6 games? Both hits don't look to be that different, and Torres is a repeat offender. Player injury should not play a direct role in the length of suspension, but how is this consistent? Great job NHL.

40 for life.

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Torres suspended for the rest of the Kings series:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 34m

Basically league sees this as a 3- to 6-game suspension for Torres. League felt head was primary point of contact. Torres history also key

I didn't think the hit was that bad, but from the league's perspective you have a player who keeps being involved in hits to players heads.  given the angle Torres hit from, there was little chance he wouldn't hit Stoll's head.  And a good chance he would catch little or none of his body.

Like I've said before I think Torres is a headhunter so the longer he sits the better.

even sharks fans think that

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

even sharks fans think that

I have to say, in spite of how irritating players on the Sharks can be, my experience with Sharks fans online (mostly on hfboards) has been surprisingly good.  That place is often chock full o' nuts, but in general they seem to be the most level headed, friendliest fans.

#47 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Ridiculous suspension. Absolute joke that people aren't appalled by it. Put your hate for Torres aside for once.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#48 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Torres suspended the rest of the series. How the f*** is that fair considering he was suspended 25 games for hit against Hossa last year? The Coyotes sorely missed him for the remainder of the playoffs but now that he is a Shark it is only up to 6 games? Both hits don't look to be that different, and Torres is a repeat offender. Player injury should not play a direct role in the length of suspension, but how is this consistent? Great job NHL.

Both the type of hit and the end result are different.

Edited by Zetts, 16 May 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#49 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

No hitting league.

I know people are sick of hearing and saying it. But come on. Its pretty clear that's the way they're going. Could you imagine if shanahsn played now? He would be suspended all year. This league is getting much worse.

Like I've said before I'm all for players safety. There is A LOT of stuff that needs to be cleaned up. Stuff like boarding, leaving your feet, hits to head need to go as well as the severe cross checks and slashes.

But the stuff guys get suspended for us a joke. If someone get hurt bam suspension. Its gone too far in some cases and not far enough in others.

#50 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Wow.  Even for Torres, that was unwarranted.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#51 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Just saw Pyatt's hit on Bergeron. I don't want this turning into the "drop your head to draw a penalty/suspension" league. You gotta keep your head up, but some of these hits that have resulted in penalties/suspensions are just because the player who got hit didn't keep his head up. That's one of the first lessons you learn when playing in a league that allows full on checking.

40 for life.

#52 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

As soon as Bettman's love child Crosby almost got his career ended the calls have spiraled out of control.

#53 VicVinegar

VicVinegar

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Torres suspension proves that the NHL is selective when it comes to handing out suspensions. Star players need not worry..

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ridiculous suspension. Absolute joke that people aren't appalled by it. Put your hate for Torres aside for once.

Why would I be appalled?  He keeps hitting guys in the head.

I'm fine with it.  Those kind of hits where you cut across a player like Torres tried to often end badly.  It's why most players don't attempt them.  It's difficult to make solid body contact.

And I'm not worried about it becoming the No Hit League.

I'd rather guys figure out how to hit someone without trying to brain them.    Because if there gets to be enough people out there like Torres who keep concussing players, what I'm really afraid of is that the league will make some drastic rule change that's much more detrimental to the game.

#55 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Why would I be appalled?  He keeps hitting guys in the head.

I'm fine with it.  Those kind of hits where you cut across a player like Torres tried to often end badly.  It's why most players don't attempt them.  It's difficult to make solid body contact.

And I'm not worried about it becoming the No Hit League.

I'd rather guys figure out how to hit someone without trying to brain them.    Because if there gets to be enough people out there like Torres who keep concussing players, what I'm really afraid of is that the league will make some drastic rule change that's much more detrimental to the game.

Torres went for a standard hit. There was absolutely nothing malicious with it. Stoll wasn't injured. It was a nothing play. Nothing to get up in arms about and nothing worth a suspension.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#56 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

The ridiculous thing is Stoll's head was coming up from him playing the puck with his hand (he literally almost had his head on the ice!). Perhaps they should change hand play/pass rules because it puts the player in a vulnerable position. I posted in another thread about head hits about how this is a huge issue for defensive players in the NFL because wideouts will scrunch up right before the hit and even thought you are doing a regular tackle, they scrunch up and now your hit to their chest becomes helmet on helmet contact. Its sort of bulls*** for the defensive players they can't change the instinct of their hit mid play.

#57 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

My biggest issue in hockey is if a player does something intentional outside of the game play to injure another player. I have seen far too many unpunished punches to the back of the heads, elbows to the head away from the play (conacher), weber headslams into the boards, etc that just shows that certain players intend to injure and have no disregard for other players. THIS is the stuff I want penalized - not a hit that was made with good intentions as a hockey play that was borderline. Seems like the nhl hardly reviews stuff that goes on away from the play - but I've seen some stuff these playoffs when there should have been at least a hearing for.

The NHL is splitting hairs over the slight timing of hits and if the head was "principle point of contact" or incidental etc. They break down the video to the millisecond - its just not reasonable to think a hit will look all that clean when you slow it down that much. I just think its dissecting the hockey plays to punish players and ignoring the non-hockey stuff. 

Edited by dirtydangles, 16 May 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#58 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Torres went for a standard hit. There was absolutely nothing malicious with it. Stoll wasn't injured. It was a nothing play. Nothing to get up in arms about and nothing worth a suspension.

Stoll did get injured though... he did not return to the game and is reportedly missing tonight's game. 

From TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423358

Brad Richardson, who played 13 playoff games during the Kings' championship run last year, is expected to take Stoll's spot in the lineup.

Los Angeles hasn't disclosed the nature of Stoll's injury or a timetable for his recovery.

Also probably the only one who sees it this way, but I think Torres may have left his feet prior to the hit; top of the shoulder looked like it was in line with the head and Torres should have had time to ease off on the hit seeing as Stoll was bent over when Torres set up for the hit. I can understand this one, Torres may have got off easy though. 

#59 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Torres has a history and it's hard to give him the benefit of doubt, but he didn't jump, he didn't throw an elbow, he didn't take strides before the check, the shoulder was the initial point of contact, and in my opinion the head was only contacted because Stoll reached for the puck and was on his back way up which shifted the position of his head and shoulders.  The only valid argument I can see against Torres is that the check was reckless, but I'd argue that Stoll was even more reckless for reaching for a puck. Bad things happen to you when you reach for the puck. The NHL is shifting blame on the checking player, and I think it's unfair because that's a hit Torres needs to make (just like Gryba needed to make that hit last round) and the hit would have been clean if Stoll stayed in the leaning forward position. I could see 1-2 for a reckless hit with incidental contact to the head given Torres' history, but a potential 6 game suspension in the playoffs for this hit is entirely too much. Just my 2 cents.

#60 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

I was all over Torres for the Hossa hit last year, but this is ridiculous.  Stoll had his head down and Torres hit him with the shoulder.  If Stoll has his head up, that's a shoulder to shoulder hit. 

And people wonder why Kronwall doesn't dish out as many big hits these days?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk