• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Larry Murphy Fired by FSD

Rate this topic

MLive

Murphy was informed last week by Greg Hammaren, senior vice president and general manager of FSD, that his services were no longer required. Murphy had worked for the station in some capacity since 2002-03.

“I was shocked, didn't see it coming,'' Murphy told MLive.com. “They said they just needed a change, ratings weren't what they were. That was basically it (for an explanation).

“I'm still trying to figure it out.''

“It's disappointing,'' Murphy said. “I really enjoyed the job, working for Fox and covering the Detroit Red Wings.

“I'm going to miss it.''

It's a pity. I've gotten used to him. Ken, Micky and Larry were a nice team.

They said they just needed a change, ratings weren't what they were

And of course, replacing the #2 colour guy will see the ratings shoot up? I hate it when management give BS excuses to staff.

This is absurd! Who didn't love Murphy, goofy as he was. This is very sad. As Nev said, you blame ratings for a hockey game on the Pierre McGuire of your local broadcast team? "Damn, Larry is on again, can't watch my Wings tonight"... Gimme a break!

LGW should prepare a petition, or at least a thank you/support card.

I do, too. But let's face it, Murphy was not a good commentator or color guy. I like him as a player and hate to see someone fired, but its probably a smart move.

I think he was entertaining. Not exactly the brightest or best, but loveable goof. What more do you want?

This just in: Surplus of dollar hot dogs and cold Miller Lites expected through the end of the season at JLA.

"With the unexpected departure of Larry, we will be unable to adjust our ordering and inventories until after the end of the season," said an obviously befuddled concession manager. "That dude could eat his weight in dollar hot dogs and [as you could tell from his broadcasts] he LOVED those Miller Lites. Expect many unscheduled 'Dollar Hot Dog Nights' as we try to burn through this excess inventory."

Guest Playmaker

I don't think he was all that good of a commentator, but yet, I don't see him as really effecting the ratings one way or the other. I'm thinking that with Daren Eliot there (don't really care for him either), it was just an unnecessary salary being paid out. I wonder too, if Mickey's health issues have become stable enough where he wants to be on the road now. That was the original reason for Murphy's hiring was to be the color guy because Mickey would not do extended road trips due to his Celiac disease and cancer. So if Mick went to management and said he wants to be back on the road full time, it sort of made Larry's job obsolete. Not the brightest bulb in the box, but seemed like a nice guy. Wish him well.

This is really sad and classless. As an out-of-market Wings fan, it's pretty jarring to see how low-quality that broadcast has become. Everything from the 80's era looking studio work to selling out the entire broadcast to an ambulance chaser law firm...and they blame Murph for the ratings. Right. Anyone with a GameCenter Live account who watches other broadcasts can see what i'm talking about.

What I hate most is that ex-players on the broadcast (like Mick and Verbeek also) is a way of keeping players "in the family". Murph actually WANTS to live in Detroit and wanted to keep covering the team, and FSD decided they don't need him. Sad.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad for Murph. I had no issues with him.... But, all I can think is - WHY couldn't it have been Pierre McGuire that we are hearing this about? I have to mute the TV every time that guy is between the benches. I don't know how he still has a job because I can't imagine that everyone else doesn't loathe him as well.

I thought Murphy was entertaining in his role. I prefer a guy that looks like Clark Kent and at times appears nervous than a pierre maguire type. Maguire is awful and walks all over Doc "Drive" Emerich and Eddie Active Stick Olczyk with his over the top vocabulary. I'd rather hear Murphy than Maguire any day. There is something cool about a guy who is not a proffesional broadcaster calling the games. Murphy always reminded me of Clark Kent when they would talk between periods, which cracked me up.

This is stupid...he terrible when he started but I think he has come a long way is is actually quite good now. If I'm not mistaken he's done NHL network games and I am almost positive he will be hired by another/team network right away. Someone will eventually have to replace Mickey and I think Larry, while he can't replace Mickey timeless awesomeness, was in line for it. That said, I think he will actually get a bigger job. What a stupid excuse...as if Murphy somehow makes people change the channel. Lame.

Hold on to something, everyone. Holland's starting from the ground up.

Bahaha...

This is absolute garbage. We should voice our opinion to FSD and let them know that they made the wrong choice here. While Murphy wasn't the smoothest talker, he knew what he was talking about and gave an inside edition on things concerning the franchise. It was awesome having Murph and Mickey on the crew to speak on behalf of their times with the organization. I'm honestly upset about this decision! I don't believe for a second that ratings had ANYTHING to do with this.

This is absolute garbage. We should voice our opinion to FSD and let them know that they made the wrong choice here. While Murphy wasn't the smoothest talker, he knew what he was talking about and gave an inside edition on things concerning the franchise. It was awesome having Murph and Mickey on the crew to speak on behalf of their times with the organization. I'm honestly upset about this decision! I don't believe for a second that ratings had ANYTHING to do with this.

Someone started an online petition, not sure how much weight these things carry but here you go:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/get-fox-sports-detroit-to-rehire-larry-murphy/

+1

Lets storm the castle...I call dibs on taking out that skinny Justin guy that's on there sometimes. In all seriousness though, I think they biffed big time. We seen Murph doing the game up on the FSN perch at the Joe one time and I think everybody chanted "hot dogs" at him...priceless.