• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Larry Murphy Fired by FSD

Rate this topic

Whatever it is, rating sure isn't the reason unless they replace him with a girl in a bikini or something.

But otherwise it's a pretty obvious excuse for something else. Murph would hardly factor in ratings being down, particularly coming off yet another lockout.

If alcohol were involved it seems like without some awful on-air incident, they would just let his contract run out this season rather than fire him mid year, in order to avoid any potential legal complications from letting someone with alcoholism go. Because it's a long time Red Wing, I also would think they would've handled something like that much more discretely.

Wasn't Larry Sorenson fired mid-season by the Tigers for alcohol related issues? It's not unprecedented ... if Murph genuinely has a problem.

But otherwise it's a pretty obvious excuse for something else. Murph would hardly factor in ratings being down, particularly coming off yet another lockout.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the ratings claim too. Something else must have happened to just fire him out of the blue like that.

Mike Emrick and Pierre McGuire have received Emmy nominations for their work on the NHL on NBC.

Emmy fcken nomination, everybody.

JUST. HIRE. HIM. NOW.

Maybe all of those dollar hot dogs & Miller Lites were making it difficult for Murph to fit in that little space between the benches. McGuire would be a much better fit in that case, so to speak.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the ratings claim too. Something else must have happened to just fire him out of the blue like that.

If he was fired because of low ratings (what Murphy has said, FSD has said nothing to my knowledge) I don't think FSD is blaming him for low ratings, but that cost had to be cut because of the lower ratings.

Low ratings = lower ad revenue

Murphy was the only one who was expendable. He carried a larger salary than Elliot, a third studio analyst and guy between the benches isn't needed and with Mickey traveling more a substitute color guy wasn't needed anymore.

Keating, York, Hogan and Thompson work across all FSD broadcasts - not just the Wings - so they carry more value than Murphy. Elliot spent 10 years as an analyst for the Thrashers (and won a couple Emmy's too) and is probably being groomed as Mickey's repacement.

I think Jake is dead on with his comments. In no way would I rather have Eliot, over Murph (sentimental me), but I think you're right. Murph is a victim of the economy, like so many others.

I can't see Eliot ever (EVER!!) replacing Mickey in terms of being awesome and the same level of on-air personality. No chance. I scrounge for FSD audio feeds with Ken n' Mick, because I am as addicted to them as I am to the team. :lol:

But, time moves on and decisions are made. We don't have to like it, just have to accept in this case.

Edited by puckloo39

Bottom line is, whoever replaces him HAS to be a Hockey guy...I can't have my Hockey Analyst also doing Baseball and Basketball like Keating does. I just don't think Eliot is enough of a hockey guy either, even though he just does hockey for FSD. Whoever sits next to Ken Daniels in the booth on the road HAS to be very VERY hockey savvy and knowledgeable....

Now for between the benches, if they wanted to put Alyonka Larionov the gig, I wouldn't object at all...