• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Larry Murphy Fired by FSD

Rate this topic

Larry Murphy gets fired and Pierre Maguire still has a job...what gives?

It's easy (incredibly easy) to rip on him, but, credit where it's due: he knows his stuff, and he's a pretty good talker. Actually, my only real knock against him is how, when he's between the benches, every frickin' thing he says during play - when he's off-camera - is directed at "Edzo." It's almost always some kind of leading/rhetorical question, and "Edzo" never responds, unless Pierre asks a second time (because he's had one too many hard lemonades, or whatever).

Not that Murphy doesn't know his stuff. The talking side of things, I can't really comment on - because I don't live in Michigan.

MLive

Fox Sports Detroit released the following statement today regarding the decision to terminate Larry Murphy from its Detroit Red Wings broadcast team:

“We wanted our primary team of Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels to call the remaining games as the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs. We thought it was only fair to let Larry know as soon as possible that he would not be scheduled for any more assignments. We thank Larry for his contributions to our telecasts over the years and we wish him well.”

Of course, this does not explain why Murphy wasn't retained to work between the benches at home games or in the studio.

FSD said this is the only statement it will make on the matter.

Guest mjtm77

I feel bad for Murph. I had no issues with him.... But, all I can think is - WHY couldn't it have been Pierre McGuire that we are hearing this about? I have to mute the TV every time that guy is between the benches. I don't know how he still has a job because I can't imagine that everyone else doesn't loathe him as well.

people in society like stupid things for no reason. they get brainwashed or something.

people in society like stupid things for no reason. they get brainwashed or something.

Honestly, Pierre gets a lot of hate because of his "love" for the Penguins but that man has the sickest amount of hockey knowledge on this earth. There is no question in my mind that Pierre is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate hockey commentators. Would I want him on FSD? No. He wouldn't be good working or a single team, but he does a damn good job at working national games. He has the knowledge and can talk the game. He certainly isn't worst than Doc "DRIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" Emrick.

Honestly, Pierre gets a lot of hate because of his "love" for the Penguins but that man has the sickest amount of hockey knowledge on this earth. There is no question in my mind that Pierre is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate hockey commentators. Would I want him on FSD? No. He wouldn't be good working or a single team, but he does a damn good job at working national games. He has the knowledge and can talk the game. He certainly isn't worst than Doc "DRIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" Emrick.

I find this extremely insightful...I'm probably going to message you later and praise your knowledge of the mysteries of hockeydom....had enough yet? Lol

In all seriousness tho, I would say that saying Pierre Lebrun is the walking encyclopedia of hockey is a stretch, at best. I don't hate on him as much as other people but he does kind of annoy me.

I'd rather have Pierre than Edzo that's for sure! But honestly, do you think FSD could pay Pierre enough to entice him from his job at NBC? Besides, like I said before, it would be so hard for him to focus on talking Red Wings and not sucking the teet of the Penguins anymore...

I find this extremely insightful...I'm probably going to message you later and praise your knowledge of the mysteries of hockeydom....had enough yet? Lol

In all seriousness tho, I would say that saying Pierre Lebrun is the walking encyclopedia of hockey is a stretch, at best. I don't hate on him as much as other people but he does kind of annoy me.

Considering that we are talking about Pierre McGuire.....but ya, still not a walking Encyclopedia...

I'd rather have Pierre than Edzo that's for sure! But honestly, do you think FSD could pay Pierre enough to entice him from his job at NBC? Besides, like I said before, it would be so hard for him to focus on talking Red Wings and not sucking the teet of the Penguins anymore...

Actually, they should hire Edzo. He'd have an apoplectic stroke if he was forced to not bash the Wings for an entire broadcast. Especially against the Pens or the Hawks. It would either be comedy gold or result in no more Edzo broadcasting. :). [insert photoshop of him onto Salieri in the asylum at the beginning of Amadeus here.]

Edited by TheXym

Considering that we are talking about Pierre McGuire.....but ya, still not a walking Encyclopedia...

I was thinking right but typed wrong...my bad. Edited by achildr1

In all seriousness, it sucks that Murph was let go. He came across as the guy you could sit down and have a few beers with and discuss the game. He knows his stuff. He may not have been the most polished, but I enjoyed him on the broadcasts. He definitely loves Detroit and the Wings, and I hope he gets picked up by the organization. I think he'd be a great coach.

FSD has decided to save money by not hiring anyone to be between the benches. Instead the Red Wings are just to have Franzine handle it while he floats around out there. He has a great view by the way! No need for a Color Commentator to replace Mick on the road either...Franzine mic'ed up!

this is getting tired and old now. Not every post has be turned into "franzine"

I feel like pierre doesnt necessarily know hockey that well, he just knows a lot of hockey facts. every game i watch i want to break my tv because he always tries to play 6 degrees of kevin bacon hockey edition. what i mean by that is he always tries to show off that he knows which players played for which junior team and had some random coach that no one cares about. hes like the worst example of a name dropper.

yet i feel like his actual analysis is often not that great. he often tries to lead edzo into additional analysis by proposing theories but i find they usually are off the mark.

in my opinion he is an example of someone that is book smart about hockey but not street smart about the actual game.

regarding murph, i hate to see him go. a couple years ago he got a decent amount of time on the nhl network wrap up show at night. i felt he was very solid on there. (certainly better than that tool jamie mclennan they have now!) i also hope this does not mean an increased role for darren eliot as i feel he is TERRIBLE with a capital T. i do not like him at all and will actually mute the tv or turn the channel when he is on.

I don't understand how anyone of you thought Murph was drunk. I never saw it.

I hope this was sarcasm. There were many many times over the last couple years where Murphs speech was heavily slurred. Not a stutter or a stammer but slurred. So either Murph suffers from frequent on air strokes or he was sauced. I honestly am surprised it took this long for him to get canned. I like Murph but how many of us can go to our job drunk and keep it. The fact that the statement from FSD said "This will be our only comment" just makes me think the ratings crap is just a cover for something bigger (him being drunk).

Guest RedWingsDad

This is absurd! Who didn't love Murphy, goofy as he was. This is very sad. As Nev said, you blame ratings for a hockey game on the Pierre McGuire of your local broadcast team? "Damn, Larry is on again, can't watch my Wings tonight"... Gimme a break!

LGW should prepare a petition, or at least a thank you/support card.

I think he was entertaining. Not exactly the brightest or best, but loveable goof. What more do you want?

I can see why they did it. He was always awkward at best and often fumbled over his words and sometimes said things that didn't make sense because he couldn't think fast enough. Also, he was rather antagonistic towards that other guy (the ex-goalie)... who I think was fighting for the same job in a way. Sad to see it happen, just saying I understand why it did from a business perspective.

I hope this was sarcasm. There were many many times over the last couple years where Murphs speech was heavily slurred. Not a stutter or a stammer but slurred. So either Murph suffers from frequent on air strokes or he was sauced. I honestly am surprised it took this long for him to get canned. I like Murph but how many of us can go to our job drunk and keep it. The fact that the statement from FSD said "This will be our only comment" just makes me think the ratings crap is just a cover for something bigger (him being drunk).

Wish there was a bit more honesty.

I feel like pierre doesnt necessarily know hockey that well, he just knows a lot of hockey facts. every game i watch i want to break my tv because he always tries to play 6 degrees of kevin bacon hockey edition. what i mean by that is he always tries to show off that he knows which players played for which junior team and had some random coach that no one cares about. hes like the worst example of a name dropper.

yet i feel like his actual analysis is often not that great. he often tries to lead edzo into additional analysis by proposing theories but i find they usually are off the mark.

in my opinion he is an example of someone that is book smart about hockey but not street smart about the actual game.

regarding murph, i hate to see him go. a couple years ago he got a decent amount of time on the nhl network wrap up show at night. i felt he was very solid on there. (certainly better than that tool jamie mclennan they have now!) i also hope this does not mean an increased role for darren eliot as i feel he is TERRIBLE with a capital T. i do not like him at all and will actually mute the tv or turn the channel when he is on.

I'll miss Larry "Dollar Hot Dog WOO THE FRIES Miller Lites" Murphy.

No I don't want Pierre's dumb ass on FSN D. I'd rather have Malts or Drapes.