• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

This is absurd! Who didn't love Murphy, goofy as he was. This is very sad. As Nev said, you blame ratings for a hockey game on the Pierre McGuire of your local broadcast team? "Damn, Larry is on again, can't watch my Wings tonight"... Gimme a break!

LGW should prepare a petition, or at least a thank you/support card.

I think he was entertaining. Not exactly the brightest or best, but loveable goof. What more do you want?

I agree concerning a petition, or an "e-card" for Murph...

I've always liked him; the guy's a multi-Cup winning Dman; a hockey HOF member; he's rather funny - especially when paired with John Keating...

It really boggles my mind as to whom FSD will replace him with.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm petitioning Matt to bring Murph in as LGW's next Mod.

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#43 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I get the feeling that Murphy's alcohol habits were involved. There have been times when he has been clearly watered during broadcasts.

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Guess they were tired of the bumbling....

Wonder who will take over...i remember when shawn burr did some and so did.Ray Ferraro....and Doug Brown.

Wonder what Darren McCarty, or Joe Kocur have been up to these days?

IMHO either one of them would be interesting...I recall McCarty doing some work on "VS" a few years ago, and he seemed to do a pretty good job.

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I blame Abdelkader. His hat trick surely must be a sign of the apocalypse, FSD must have decided to make a sacrifice. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm petitioning Matt to bring Murph in as LGW's next Mod.

Would that not be freakin' AWESOME?  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

I get the feeling that Murphy's alcohol habits were involved. There have been times when he has been clearly watered during broadcasts.

Ok - I gotta ask...

Others here alluded to Murph's possible alcohol consumption while at work for FSD...Is there any proof, or is it all speculation?

The reason why I ask is that I myself never really noticed him under the influence while broadcasting, or "UIB"...Then again I'm usually having a few drinks myself while watching the game :crazy:

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

That sucks.  Can't replace his goofiness.

I think Cleary should take his job starting next game.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

That sucks.  Can't replace his goofiness.

I think Cleary should take his job starting next game.  

:thumbup:

#50 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Would murph even want to return if he was un-fired? I wish they would use this same ruthlessness on cleary...

#51 MisfitJake

MisfitJake

Magically Delicious

• Gold Booster
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Well, then fire Greg Hammaren! 

Here is Greg's email - greg.hammaren@foxsports.net - send him a note and let him know how you feel.

Greg Hammaren is Senior Vice President/General Manager at FOX Sports Detroit, a post he has held since 2002.

In a past life, too, it's a kind of thing that catches up to you. I guess I just believe that it's the thing to do. So here's a little feedback, you gotta wear those shoes.
No one said it would be easy, sometimes it is hard to do. It isn't like the TV, you see the cold hard truth. And the things you see in movies, just don't come true.

#52 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Will they replace Murph with some serious eye candy? 

#53 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Will they replace Murph with some serious eye candy? 

I like babes as much as the next guy, if not more, but I don't lke eye candy that is there for the sole purpose of being eye candy fluff.  I'd rather listen to Murph talk about the game I'm watching than listen to Eva Menendez read the script that some else wrote for her while trying to lok like she actally knows what she's talking about

I like Mickey and Murph because they are a coupe of veterans talkng hockey and don't follw the same ESPN sports guy formula.  The Wings experience is all about nostalgia, and he is an integral part of it.

Edit: The ratings are tanking because of the product on the ice:  I was dreading watching the Anaheim game all day long because I could not bear to watch them play half hearted and get destroyed by frikin Anaheim.  (Luckily, I decided to have the game on while I did other things, but you get the point).

Edited by T.Low, 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#54 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Someone started an online petition, not sure how much weight these things carry but here you go:

http://www.ipetition...e-larry-murphy/

Thanks  Signed.

#55 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Murphy was useless between the benches because he never said anything.  That said, he's not nearly as creepy as Darren Eliot or Justin White.

#56 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Maybe they'll bring Ray Lane back..is he still alive?

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#57 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Totally blindsided by this. I'm with the rest of you wondering if something else went down, otherwise you don't fire your guy midway through the season because of ratings. I like that a decent portion of our broadcast team is ex-wings, keeping it all in the family is what this organization does. That being said, whoever mentioned bringing in D Mac or Joey...

YES PLEASE. Especially if Mac's personal issues are as under control as they seem to be these days, I would love to see his goofy face between the benches.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Murphy was useless between the benches because he never said anything.  That said, he's not nearly as creepy as Darren Eliot or Justin White.

Pierre says hi. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

this sucks! my buddies and I always think Darren Elliot looks baked during his segment

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ok - I gotta ask...

Others here alluded to Murph's possible alcohol consumption while at work for FSD...Is there any proof, or is it all speculation?

The reason why I ask is that I myself never really noticed him under the influence while broadcasting, or "UIB"...Then again I'm usually having a few drinks myself while watching the game :crazy:

As far as I know it is all unfounded speculation.

Murph stumbled on his words a lot and people seemed to take that as drunkeness when really I think he just wasn't very good as a broadcaster. 

I've heard no substantiated incidents about his drinking.  It just became a running joke because of his constantly mangling words.  But the reality is, being an on air broadcaster isn't easy.  Think of how most hockey players sound in interviews.  

The mid-season firing is unusual but until I hear otherwise I'm giving Murph the benefit of the doubt.