• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#141 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,824 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Get rid of John Keating, I hate him with a passion.

I'm not sure why Murph would be the first victim of "awkward in front of the camera" when John Keating is still around. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#142 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I wonder is the FSD crew considered how awful the Wings have been when looking at their ratings.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#143 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Whatever it is, rating sure isn't the reason unless they replace him with a girl in a bikini or something. 

But otherwise it's a pretty obvious excuse for something else.  Murph would hardly factor in ratings being down, particularly coming off yet another lockout. 

If alcohol were involved it seems like without some awful on-air incident, they would just let his contract run out this season rather than fire him mid year, in order to avoid any potential legal complications from letting someone with alcoholism go.  Because it's a long time Red Wing, I also would think they would've handled something like that much more discretely.  

Wasn't Larry Sorenson fired mid-season by the Tigers for alcohol related issues? It's not unprecedented ... if Murph genuinely has a problem.

#144 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

But otherwise it's a pretty obvious excuse for something else.  Murph would hardly factor in ratings being down, particularly coming off yet another lockout. 

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the ratings claim too. Something else must have happened to just fire him out of the blue like that.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#145 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Mike Emrick and Pierre McGuire have received Emmy nominations for their work on the NHL on NBC.

Emmy fcken nomination, everybody.

JUST. HIRE. HIM. NOW.

bringit.jpg

#146 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Mike Emrick and Pierre McGuire have received Emmy nominations for their work on the NHL on NBC.

JUST. HIRE. HIM. NOW.

Maybe all of those dollar hot dogs & Miller Lites were making it difficult for Murph to fit in that little space between the benches.  McGuire would be a much better fit in that case, so to speak.

#147 MisfitJake

MisfitJake

Magically Delicious

• Gold Booster
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the ratings claim too. Something else must have happened to just fire him out of the blue like that.

If he was fired because of low ratings (what Murphy has said, FSD has said nothing to my knowledge) I don't think FSD is blaming him for low ratings, but that cost had to be cut because of the lower ratings.

Low ratings = lower ad revenue

Murphy was the only one who was expendable. He carried a larger salary than Elliot, a third studio analyst and guy between the benches isn't needed and with Mickey traveling more a substitute color guy wasn't needed anymore.

Keating, York, Hogan and Thompson work across all FSD broadcasts - not just the Wings - so they carry more value than Murphy. Elliot spent 10 years as an analyst for the Thrashers (and won a couple Emmy's too) and is probably being groomed as Mickey's repacement.

In a past life, too, it's a kind of thing that catches up to you. I guess I just believe that it's the thing to do. So here's a little feedback, you gotta wear those shoes.
No one said it would be easy, sometimes it is hard to do. It isn't like the TV, you see the cold hard truth. And the things you see in movies, just don't come true.

#148 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

I think Jake is dead on with his comments.  In no way would I rather have Eliot, over Murph (sentimental me), but I think you're right.  Murph is a victim of the economy, like so many others. 

I can't see Eliot ever (EVER!!) replacing Mickey in terms of being awesome and the same level of on-air personality.  No chance.  I scrounge for FSD audio feeds with Ken n' Mick, because I am as addicted to them as I am to the team.  :lol:

But, time moves on and decisions are made.  We don't have to like it, just have to accept in this case.

Edited by puckloo39, 24 March 2013 - 09:04 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#149 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

. Elliot spent 10 years as an analyst for the Thrashers (and won a couple Emmy's too) and is probably being groomed as Mickey's repacement.

I certainly hope this isn't the plan. Elliot is a stiff robot on TV. I can't watch him.

#150 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

This better be a move to make Osgood the new between the benches commentator. 

#151 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Larry Murphy gets fired and Pierre Maguire still has a job...what gives?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#152 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

John Keating and Mickey York are TERRIBLE. I thought Murphy was actually getting better on the air.

#153 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Bottom line is, whoever replaces him HAS to be a Hockey guy...I can't have my Hockey Analyst also doing Baseball and Basketball like Keating does.  I just don't think Eliot is enough of a hockey guy either, even though he just does hockey for FSD. Whoever sits next to Ken Daniels in the booth on the road HAS to be very VERY hockey savvy and knowledgeable....

Now for between the benches, if they wanted to put Alyonka Larionov the gig, I wouldn't object at all...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#154 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

It's like losing a family member! I watch the Wings on the computer alone in the middle of the night, and these guys are a key part of making it a good experience. Especially Mickey, Ken and Larry. Sad FSD let him go. 

#155 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Between the "Pillows"...er I mean Benches with Alyonka....

alyonkalarionovtwitpic0.jpg

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#156 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL20 Mar

JUST. HIRE. HIM. NOW.

This made my brain explode. Really? I mean, REALLY?! I have no words...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#157 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Larry Murphy gets fired and Pierre Maguire still has a job...what gives?

It's easy (incredibly easy) to rip on him, but, credit where it's due: he knows his stuff, and he's a pretty good talker. Actually, my only real knock against him is how, when he's between the benches, every frickin' thing he says during play - when he's off-camera - is directed at "Edzo." It's almost always some kind of leading/rhetorical question, and "Edzo" never responds, unless Pierre asks a second time (because he's had one too many hard lemonades, or whatever).

Not that Murphy doesn't know his stuff. The talking side of things, I can't really comment on - because I don't live in Michigan.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#158 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

MLive

Fox Sports Detroit released the following statement today regarding the decision to terminate Larry Murphy from its Detroit Red Wings broadcast team:

“We wanted our primary team of Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels to call the remaining games as the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs. We thought it was only fair to let Larry know as soon as possible that he would not be scheduled for any more assignments. We thank Larry for his contributions to our telecasts over the years and we wish him well.”

Of course, this does not explain why Murphy wasn't retained to work between the benches at home games or in the studio.

FSD said this is the only statement it will make on the matter.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#159 grimace1970

grimace1970

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Don't remember who we were playing, but I'll never forget the night he said, "...and suddenly they're f*cking for their lives!"

Rewound it ten times to be sure I heard it right.

#160 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Larry can't sit between the benches because he has to sit on the bench with his new 17 games for 17 dollar dogs contract