• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#161 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I feel bad for Murph.  I had no issues with him....  But, all I can think is - WHY couldn't it have been Pierre McGuire that we are hearing this about?  I have to mute the TV every time that guy is between the benches.  I don't know how he still has a job because I can't imagine that everyone else doesn't loathe him as well.

people in society like stupid things for no reason. they get brainwashed or something.

Posted Image

#162 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

people in society like stupid things for no reason. they get brainwashed or something.

Honestly, Pierre gets a lot of hate because of his "love" for the Penguins but that man has the sickest amount of hockey knowledge on this earth. There is no question in my mind that Pierre is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate hockey commentators. Would I want him on FSD? No. He wouldn't be good working or a single team, but he does a damn good job at working national games. He has the knowledge and can talk the game. He certainly isn't worst than Doc "DRIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" Emrick.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#163 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

nothing against pierre, i just think the job should go to someone in the red wings family like a former player

#164 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

tumblr_m3ey1h782s1qe1x8qo1_500.jpg

#HireMcGuire

#165 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Honestly, Pierre gets a lot of hate because of his "love" for the Penguins but that man has the sickest amount of hockey knowledge on this earth. There is no question in my mind that Pierre is one of the most knowledgeable and passionate hockey commentators. Would I want him on FSD? No. He wouldn't be good working or a single team, but he does a damn good job at working national games. He has the knowledge and can talk the game. He certainly isn't worst than Doc "DRIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" Emrick.

I find this extremely insightful...I'm probably going to message you later and praise your knowledge of the mysteries of hockeydom....had enough yet? Lol

In all seriousness tho, I would say that saying Pierre Lebrun is the walking encyclopedia of hockey is a stretch, at best. I don't hate on him as much as other people but he does kind of annoy me.

#166 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'd rather have Pierre than Edzo that's for sure! But honestly, do you think FSD could pay Pierre enough to entice him from his job at NBC? Besides, like I said before, it would be so hard for him to focus on talking Red Wings and not sucking the teet of the Penguins anymore...

I find this extremely insightful...I'm probably going to message you later and praise your knowledge of the mysteries of hockeydom....had enough yet? Lol

In all seriousness tho, I would say that saying Pierre Lebrun is the walking encyclopedia of hockey is a stretch, at best. I don't hate on him as much as other people but he does kind of annoy me.

Considering that we are talking about Pierre McGuire.....but ya, still not a walking Encyclopedia...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#167 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'd rather have Pierre than Edzo that's for sure! But honestly, do you think FSD could pay Pierre enough to entice him from his job at NBC? Besides, like I said before, it would be so hard for him to focus on talking Red Wings and not sucking the teet of the Penguins anymore...

Actually, they should hire Edzo. He'd have an apoplectic stroke if he was forced to not bash the Wings for an entire broadcast. Especially against the Pens or the Hawks. It would either be comedy gold or result in no more Edzo broadcasting. :). [Insert photoshop of him onto Salieri in the asylum at the beginning of Amadeus here.]

Edited by TheXym, 24 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#168 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Considering that we are talking about Pierre McGuire.....but ya, still not a walking Encyclopedia...

I was thinking right but typed wrong...my bad.

Edited by achildr1, 24 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#169 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

:lol: Either way, you are right!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#170 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

In all seriousness, it sucks that Murph was let go. He came across as the guy you could sit down and have a few beers with and discuss the game. He knows his stuff. He may not have been the most polished, but I enjoyed him on the broadcasts. He definitely loves Detroit and the Wings, and I hope he gets picked up by the organization. I think he'd be a great coach.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#171 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

FSD has decided to save money by not hiring anyone to be between the benches. Instead the Red Wings are just to have Franzine handle it while he floats around out there.  He has a great view by the way! No need for a Color Commentator to replace Mick on the road either...Franzine mic'ed up!

this is getting tired and old now. Not every post has be turned into "franzine"

#172 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

tumblr_m3ey1h782s1qe1x8qo1_500.jpg

#HireMcGuire

If that's not PS'd, that looks shockingly real. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#173 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

I feel like pierre doesnt necessarily know hockey that well, he just knows a lot of hockey facts. every game i watch i want to break my tv because he always tries to play 6 degrees of kevin bacon hockey edition. what i mean by that is he always tries to show off that he knows which players played for which junior team and had some random coach that no one cares about. hes like the worst example of a name dropper.

yet i feel like his actual analysis is often not that great. he often tries to lead edzo into additional analysis by proposing theories but i find they usually are off the mark.

in my opinion he is an example of someone that is book smart about hockey but not street smart about the actual game.

regarding murph, i hate to see him go. a couple years ago he got a decent amount of time on the nhl network wrap up show at night. i felt he was very solid on there. (certainly better than that tool jamie mclennan they have now!) i also hope this does not mean an increased role for darren eliot as i feel he is TERRIBLE with a capital T. i do not like him at all and will actually mute the tv or turn the channel when he is on.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#174 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

I don't understand how anyone of you thought Murph was drunk.  I never saw it. 

I hope this was sarcasm. There were many many times over the last couple years where Murphs speech was heavily slurred. Not a stutter or a stammer but slurred. So either Murph suffers from frequent on air strokes or he was sauced. I honestly am surprised it took this long for him to get canned. I like Murph but how many of us can go to our job drunk and keep it. The fact that the statement from FSD said "This will be our only comment" just makes me think the ratings crap is just a cover for something bigger (him being drunk).

#175 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

I can tell that is an early picture of McGuire because he had more hair.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#176 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

This is absurd! Who didn't love Murphy, goofy as he was. This is very sad. As Nev said, you blame ratings for a hockey game on the Pierre McGuire of your local broadcast team? "Damn, Larry is on again, can't watch my Wings tonight"... Gimme a break!

LGW should prepare a petition, or at least a thank you/support card.

I think he was entertaining. Not exactly the brightest or best, but loveable goof. What more do you want?

I can see why they did it. He was always awkward at best and often fumbled over his words and sometimes said things that didn't make sense because he couldn't think fast enough. Also, he was rather antagonistic towards that other guy (the ex-goalie)... who I think was fighting for the same job in a way. Sad to see it happen, just saying I understand why it did from a business perspective.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#177 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hate to see him go for sentimental reasons but he was really bad as a commentator

#178 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I hope this was sarcasm. There were many many times over the last couple years where Murphs speech was heavily slurred. Not a stutter or a stammer but slurred. So either Murph suffers from frequent on air strokes or he was sauced. I honestly am surprised it took this long for him to get canned. I like Murph but how many of us can go to our job drunk and keep it. The fact that the statement from FSD said "This will be our only comment" just makes me think the ratings crap is just a cover for something bigger (him being drunk).

Wish there was a bit more honesty. 

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#179 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

So all this talk of murph doing broadcast drunk, I figured I'd check YouTube to see if anything was on it.

He definitely sounds drunk in this clip

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=GPRU7zNNv40

#180 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

rofl 

"I don't understand why they have a whale on their jersey." 

-"Because of Orca Bay."

"Then why don't the Wings put the Little Caesars logo on their jersey?"