• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Larry Murphy Fired by FSD

Rate this topic

Can we keep the talk about Murphy's alleged alcoholism to a minimum? I know it doesn't really violate any forum rules, and it's just an honest discussion, but we have no indication whatsoever that he has a drinking problem. For all we know he's a teetotaler. I'd hate to see LGW become known as the forum that dragged Larry Murphy's name through the mud for no reason whatsoever.

I feel like the speculation started out innocently enough, but it's picked up some steam and it's suddenly become no longer speculation.

+10000000

Someone posted a really legit explanation a ways back. Darren Eliot is cheaper and fresher. American economics 101. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Get rid of the more expensive non essential.

It also explains why godawful Keating is still employed. He simply does too many things to be expendable.

Someone posted a really legit explanation a ways back. Darren Eliot is cheaper and fresher. American economics 101. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Get rid of the more expensive non essential.

It also explains why godawful Keating is still employed. He simply does too many things to be expendable.

I wondered at the time why they brought Darren in. He's OK but he ain't Murph. Anybody else notice Murphy wasn't around starting two weeks ago? At least I didn't see him.

It's not easy doing what Larry was trying to do, especially if you're not used to having people talk to you anytime they want to through the earpiece; while you're listening to the other on-air talent, and then trying to respond with any sense of continuity. I still appreciated him for his knowledge and obvious love of the game. He WAS the Red Wings on so many levels.

And yes, indeedy, Keating sucks.

I hope this was sarcasm. There were many many times over the last couple years where Murphs speech was heavily slurred. Not a stutter or a stammer but slurred. So either Murph suffers from frequent on air strokes or he was sauced. I honestly am surprised it took this long for him to get canned. I like Murph but how many of us can go to our job drunk and keep it. The fact that the statement from FSD said "This will be our only comment" just makes me think the ratings crap is just a cover for something bigger (him being drunk).

Ah, no, it wasn't sarcasm. He stumbled over his words and he made me feel awkward but I don't believe he was drunk.

He's not the only person. Although, I would say I'm more towards 'indifferent' than 'full dislike'.

I just think he's getting past his prime and his reminiscing about the 'good ol' days' brings the broadcast to a screeching halt sometimes.

Are you that one person in the world that doesn't like Mickey Redmond? Is your hell a cold, lonely one?

Absolutely and the proof is in the pudding. I'm sorry but there is zero percent chance Larry Murphy taped that Nashville intro while under the influence, yet he still was rambling, mumbling, and falling over his own words. He simply just had a little trouble getting what he wanted out sometimes. I can do the same thing time to time, I can understand this. Anyone does. He just did it at a more accelerated rate which makes me think he actually had a problem. I don't think awkwardness played a huge role, but it could have been influential. He did play professional hockey in front of millions, and has been on the air for over 10 years now, I can't say he still has the jitters being in-front of the camera.

I think the biggest thing is what VM just said. I would HATE for these rumors to get into the media and run rampant.

Personally, this is exactly part of the appeal of Larry Murphy; he's an NHL veteran, not a polished broadcaster. He knows hockey and has real observations and real comments and doesn't necessarily care how things look or sound to people. Thats what I want in my Red Wings TV experience.

Absolutely and the proof is in the pudding. I'm sorry but there is zero percent chance Larry Murphy taped that Nashville intro while under the influence, yet he still was rambling, mumbling, and falling over his own words. He simply just had a little trouble getting what he wanted out sometimes. I can do the same thing time to time, I can understand this. Anyone does. He just did it at a more accelerated rate which makes me think he actually had a problem. I don't think awkwardness played a huge role, but it could have been influential. He did play professional hockey in front of millions, and has been on the air for over 10 years now, I can't say he still has the jitters being in-front of the camera.

I think the biggest thing is what VM just said. I would HATE for these rumors to get into the media and run rampant.

I'm an out-of-market fan, so I don't always catch the cold opens on GameCenter. For whatever reason, I caught that Nashvillle one. It was creepy and weird, but I blamed 95% of that on a stupid idea by FSN staffers. At no point did it even occur to me he might have been drinking. Especially since they probably taped it a 1:30pm on a game day with a camera crew following him around. (Was pretty funny when Ken Daniels was walking in the crowd of Wings fans - male and female - and you couldn't even find him because he's like 5'5").

I understand this is message board forum, that Murph got fired, and people are just going to toss out possible reasons why that happened. There's just no evidence of it, and it doesn't do any good.

People are losing sight of the fact this was a MID-season firing. If FSD has a meeting in August and decides, "Look, Murphy's just too akward on camera, we have better options for that job", I would have had zero problem with that. Letting him go before a road trip in March in the midst of a truncated 99-day season is either indicitive of some type of misconduct, or is a HUGE slap in the face.

That and it also goes back to the American Economics 101 you were talking about;

The more friends and connections you make up in high places, the more money you make and the more secure your job becomes, regardless of how horrible you are at it.

I can't believe they fire Murph but yet Keating still has a job. Maybe they will give us more Shannon Hogan now.

God, I hope not.

As if that voice of hers wasn't grating enough, like nails on a chalk board, then you add in the lisp on top of it, and hitting the mute button when she comes on is the ony thing I can do to keep me from throwing things at the speakers...lol

With Ken and Mickey I think we have the two best in Hockey. I can't believe they fire Murph but yet Keating still has a job. Maybe they will give us more Shannon Hogan now.

Average girl is average. The Belle Tire girl 15 years past her heyday is better to look at than Hogan.

Average girl is average. The Belle Tire girl 15 years past her heyday is better to look at than Hogan.

Her name is Leila Sbitani, and shes 41. Pretty hot for 41.

Plus, shes hosted numerous talk shows and things, she'd be way better than Hogan in that regard as well.

Here is her show on TV LAND

Edited by evilmrt

Murph is great. Def should be here still, and I do not know why Keating is around. No offense to Keating, im sure he's a nice guy, but damn he is so cynical. When I'm watching hockey I want to feel pumped up about my team, not to listen to witty metaphors

Guest RedWingsDad

Murph is great. Def should be here still, and I do not know why Keating is around. No offense to Keating, im sure he's a nice guy, but damn he is so cynical. When I'm watching hockey I want to feel pumped up about my team, not to listen to witty metaphors

Probably because Keating is typically concise and coherent, whereas Murph often had trouble articulating himself.