• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

beachwing

Wings Make Offer to Danny D!

Rate this topic

First off, I want to say GO WINGS!!!!!!

Now, with that being said, what if he opts out of all this senseless hype and stays in college for another year? Education and personal development is more important than slaving 2 decades of your life away, limiting your human potential by allowing your skills, passions and incredible physical and mental energies to be used as a commodity for a multi-million dollar business. Sports should not be about pressuring people to leave college, or they're country and play professionally, a sport, for the team that some guy owns. In my honest opinion, I hope he decides against going pro for the duration of his educational career. I think we are all forgetting the reality of this situation. Social media and video games have developed a false sense of reality in the way we perceive professional sports. These are real people, like you and I. The only difference is that these "players", instead of spending hours arguing about the people they see on TV, or the people they competitively trade/acquire in fantasy leagues or video games while you sit on your ass at home, they are actual training, learning, competing, achieving, and taking their live's to the next level under the strict control and supervision of the teams they belong to.( It's a job, not a sport anymore. ) They have families, and friends, and everything we have( to an extent ) , Why should we be all crazy and s*** about some kid who is 23 years old, goes to college and just ended his internship. Should the professionals hire him? Should they be putting a price on his athletic ability if it means denying him higher and future learning in the educational process? That's not for us to decide. Sure we can speculate, or believe what people we don't know heard from someone else that none of us personally know if they even exist said about this guys' decision, it's not getting us anywhere! Relax everyone. If he wants to play for Detroit, let him, and welcome him. Take away all the hype and all you have is a guy that's demanding that he gets the opportunity to play hockey for a professional sports team, one in which will grant him the opportunity to do so. Will he succeed? Heads or tails? Yes or no. Time unveils everything. Embrace the team we watch have now. They are playing pretty well together, with confidence in themselves and each other...anyways, back to reality, this is America. These skating dollar signs are living the American dream and we are willingly watching them do it at the cost of living our own American dream. This whole spectacle is nothing more than a reality TV show. Reality shows are manufactured entertainment.

My prediction? He signs with ( detroit ) AND They Win the Cup either this year, or in the next 2 years.

I honestly believe there's quite a few of us here that see him as a top-notch NCAA player with potential to become a top 4 Dman at the NHL level.

Right now - if he were to don a Red Wings jersey, and step right into the line up - chances are he'd have some issues handling the bigger/stronger/faster players.

What I'm wondering is:

Justin Schultz was supposed to start the year with Edmonton. More offensively gifted, but not defensively.

Seth Jones is expected to jump right onto the team that drafts him this summer while Jacob Trouba was the best Dman in the WJC, and is in college right now and my skip his senior year to come play for the Jets (as per the analysists from TSN Jets last night)

but...

Dan Dekeyser isn't as good as any of the other 3, yet he took the same path as Schultz and finished his senior year at college and played 1 more year than Trouba and Seth Jones is even younger and fresher but can step right into the NHL.

I'll go on the list of guys that believes that Dekeyser can jump into the top 4 here and replace White, whom in all likelyhood will not be a Wing next year and he'll do a good job. He's highly touted for his skating ability where at a camp, guys thought he was a forward he was such a good skater. And he's a shutdown defensive guy who can put up points and makes smart pinches. I'm not seeing a downside to him being in the top 4 and I truly hope he ends up here.

After losing over the years Konstantinov, Fischer, Rafalski, Schneider, Stuart, Lidstrom and i'm sure I missed a couple, we need a young Dman to step in and anchor the blue line for the next 15.

Education and personal development is more important than slaving 2 decades of your life away, limiting your human potential by allowing your skills, passions and incredible physical and mental energies to be used as a commodity for a multi-million dollar business.

As a fellow 23 year old recent college grad I have respond to this. To me it seems that going to college is exactly the same thing, a multi million dollar business using young people for profit. I love having 100k in debt for my OT degree.

Education and personal development can come outside college, it's not going anywhere for him. He can easily finish his last year/years during summer, but his one chance to play the sport that he's worked his entire life, doesn't have the same lee-way. He can only be in his prime physical condition for so long, while hopefully his mental aptitude has a much better chance to stay sharp through his years.

I do agree with your take on overhyping, it's exciting to get a free prospect, and he definitely checks out as a high caliber prospect, but he's not miles ahead of let's say Nick Jensen, another Wing's defensive college prospect. Jensen has a ton more offensive upside(about doubled Dekeyser's points), and is in my opinion just as smart of a hockey player and is a couple months younger. Yet we don't have the same hype about our own guy, kinda interesting to me. Expectations are probably a too high on this kid, it's just a really good situation to get a good young defenseman for free, and hopefully that's were the excitement lies.

What I'm wondering is:

Justin Schultz was supposed to start the year with Edmonton. More offensively gifted, but not defensively.

Seth Jones is expected to jump right onto the team that drafts him this summer while Jacob Trouba was the best Dman in the WJC, and is in college right now and my skip his senior year to come play for the Jets (as per the analysists from TSN Jets last night)

but...

Dan Dekeyser isn't as good as any of the other 3, yet he took the same path as Schultz and finished his senior year at college and played 1 more year than Trouba and Seth Jones is even younger and fresher but can step right into the NHL.

I'll go on the list of guys that believes that Dekeyser can jump into the top 4 here and replace White, whom in all likelyhood will not be a Wing next year and he'll do a good job. He's highly touted for his skating ability where at a camp, guys thought he was a forward he was such a good skater. And he's a shutdown defensive guy who can put up points and makes smart pinches. I'm not seeing a downside to him being in the top 4 and I truly hope he ends up here.

After losing over the years Konstantinov, Fischer, Rafalski, Schneider, Stuart, Lidstrom and i'm sure I missed a couple, we need a young Dman to step in and anchor the blue line for the next 15.

DeKeyser's a junior technically. He's at 3.5 years with summer courses & is skipping his senior season.

First off, I want to say GO WINGS!!!!!!

Now, with that being said, what if he opts out of all this senseless hype and stays in college for another year? Education and personal development is more important than slaving 2 decades of your life away, limiting your human potential by allowing your skills, passions and incredible physical and mental energies to be used as a commodity for a multi-million dollar business. Sports should not be about pressuring people to leave college, or they're country and play professionally, a sport, for the team that some guy owns. In my honest opinion, I hope he decides against going pro for the duration of his educational career. I think we are all forgetting the reality of this situation. Social media and video games have developed a false sense of reality in the way we perceive professional sports. These are real people, like you and I. The only difference is that these "players", instead of spending hours arguing about the people they see on TV, or the people they competitively trade/acquire in fantasy leagues or video games while you sit on your ass at home, they are actual training, learning, competing, achieving, and taking their live's to the next level under the strict control and supervision of the teams they belong to.( It's a job, not a sport anymore. ) They have families, and friends, and everything we have( to an extent ) , Why should we be all crazy and s*** about some kid who is 23 years old, goes to college and just ended his internship. Should the professionals hire him? Should they be putting a price on his athletic ability if it means denying him higher and future learning in the educational process? That's not for us to decide. Sure we can speculate, or believe what people we don't know heard from someone else that none of us personally know if they even exist said about this guys' decision, it's not getting us anywhere! Relax everyone. If he wants to play for Detroit, let him, and welcome him. Take away all the hype and all you have is a guy that's demanding that he gets the opportunity to play hockey for a professional sports team, one in which will grant him the opportunity to do so. Will he succeed? Heads or tails? Yes or no. Time unveils everything. Embrace the team we watch have now. They are playing pretty well together, with confidence in themselves and each other...anyways, back to reality, this is America. These skating dollar signs are living the American dream and we are willingly watching them do it at the cost of living our own American dream. This whole spectacle is nothing more than a reality TV show. Reality shows are manufactured entertainment.

My prediction? He signs with ( detroit ) AND They Win the Cup either this year, or in the next 2 years.

Education and personal development can come outside college, it's not going anywhere for him. He can easily finish his last year/years during summer, but his one chance to play the sport that he's worked his entire life, doesn't have the same lee-way. He can only be in his prime physical condition for so long, while hopefully his mental aptitude has a much better chance to stay sharp through his years.

Exactly what Carman said. You make some good points but what you fail to realize is that athletes also have the chance to get their degree alongside playing professionally. It is the same way a member of the military can get their degree while still serving actively in the service. All because you're doing something, doesn't mean you can't continue your college success. There is numerous routes for professional athletes and celebrities to get their education while doing something they passionately love.

Carmen is spot on. I went to UM and got an Econ Major, Poli Sci Minor because I wanted to learn how the world works. The Econ material was educational, but the Political Science was pure unadulterated indoctrination as oppossed to growth and development.

Yes, the NHL is a major committment with major scrifice, but so is everything that comes with that pay scale. Cory Emmerton is getting paid more than the President of the United States of America.

Carmen is spot on. I went to UM and got an Econ Major, Poli Sci Minor because I wanted to learn how the world works. The Econ material was educational, but the Political Science was pure unadulterated indoctrination as oppossed to growth and development.

Yes, the NHL is a major committment with major scrifice, but so is everything that comes with that pay scale. Cory Emmerton is getting paid more than the President of the United States of America.

Without getting into a politcal debate, the President may not get paid a base salary as much as Cory, ie however he get's many more perks paid for by the taxpayers.

I agree with you that we've been hit hard concerning our Dmen in 1 way, or another, and adding a guy with potential like Dekeyser would benefit the team.

Now with that said - I've never seen the guy play, and only have read about him here at LGW, but this notion that he'll step right in, and be a top 4 guy whom is capable of replacing an experienced NHL'er such as White is a long shot at best.

Yeah - apparently he's a great player - at the NCAA level...Last time I checked.....NHL>>>AHL>>>NCAA

I for one wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle if he made the jump directly into the "bigs".

I would absolutely expect him to struggle at first. NHL is the fastest game in the world, the toughest as well. The things that are said about Dekeyser is that he has all the tools to be a top player, just like Brendan Smith who has had flashes of brilliance this year, but has also struggled at times. If Dekeyser plays with a more experienced Dman then he should pick it up pretty quick. The main thing is though, does he want to be a Wing and possibly spend some of this year in GR, or does he want to go to a franchise like Edmonton who with all their "talent" still can't sniff the playoffs? He knows as much as the rest of us that the Wings ALWAYS have a bright future ahead one way or another, due to great management.

Without getting into a politcal debate, the President may not get paid a base salary as much as Cory, ie however he get's many more perks paid for by the taxpayers.

I was making the obvious point that even a low level guy like Emmerton makes more moey than he could possibly make dong anything else. After 5 -10 yrs of making a few million a year, I could certainly retire to a womderful life and fill it full of growth and development.

Not sure where you were trying to go with your post. Maybe Obama is too polarizing of a figure for me to have referenced.

The more I read about DeKeyser the more I want him. I keep hearing "phenomenal skater" "extremely hard and accurate shot from the point" "sound positionally in the defensive zone"

yes, yes, and yes?

Also he's 23. Nyquist is 23 and Lashoff is 22. He's likely nearing the end of development, so he could very well be ready for NHL time.

i think some of you are over thinking it. lashoff came out of nowhere and is a solid defender for us. dekeyser can probably do the same. i dont care if hes not a schultz jones trouba. i just hope he can play good hockey for us.

Lashoff impressed people, but he had prior experience. He had played many games at the OHL level, and played with the Griffins previously. He played a total of 161 games for the Griffins including his 36 games this season before his call-up. I'm not saying Danny D can't be like Lashoff, but we can't expect him to BE a Lashoff from the start because he didn't have that prior experience. If he came to the Wings, I think the Wings would do the same exact thing that Tampa Bay is doing with Andrej Sustr. He is participating in their practices, will play in a few games and then get evaluated. His contract didn't include guaranteed playing time and I highly doubt Danny DeKeyser's will. You just can't come in and expect franchises to give you playing time when you only have NCAA playing experience. You, yourself, are setting yourself up for failure developmentally. Confidence is a HUGE thing in sports, and a newly found prospect stepping into the league with top pairing minutes could be VERY detrimental to their development.

The more I read about DeKeyser the more I want him. I keep hearing "phenomenal skater" "extremely hard and accurate shot from the point" "sound positionally in the defensive zone"

yes, yes, and yes?

Also he's 23. Nyquist is 23 and Lashoff is 22. He's likely nearing the end of development, so he could very well be ready for NHL time.

Originally when he first started coming to summer camps, the Wings thought he was a forward because of how silky smooth he can skate. The dude can skate like no other, go check his highlight reels. Decent first pass (seriously people, don't think he's Lidstrom with outlet passes... it's not his game) and sometimes will play the body. The best thing about him? He plays the basics, he plays responsible defense, he doesn't take chances, he's VERYY content with just doing the right things. Many think he will step into his upcoming team and be really shiny and make a lot of noise... it's not about that, it's about being responsible and sound. That... is Danny DeKeyser. You don't notice him much, and that's good as a defensemen, you notice when they make mistakes.

Education and personal development is more important than slaving 2 decades of your life away, limiting your human potential by allowing your skills, passions and incredible physical and mental energies to be used as a commodity for a multi-million dollar business.

Its funny that you say this in an attempt to talk about the importance of college, when in reality what you are describing is the whole go to college, get a degree, and become a good little 9-5 work slave for millionaires and billionaires scenario that most people in this country fall victim to...except its usually a LOT more than a mere two decades that they slave away in that job that they hate that their college degree scored them.

Edited by sleepwalker

But the POTUS would probably get more ice time.