• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Seems that everyone thought that the Wings were keeping Jimmy Howard in the minors too long by signing old former Wing goalies.  That seemed to work out okay. 

No GM in any sport makes all the right moves.  No team is going to win it all every year.  The Wings have stayed competitive for over two decades.  Some of the decisions the Wings brass make aren't necessarily ones that I'd make, but I'm a fan, not a lifetime hockey professional.  I don't think I'd really trust his opinion when it came to doing my job.

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Seems that everyone thought that the Wings were keeping Jimmy Howard in the minors too long by signing old former Wing goalies.  That seemed to work out okay. 

No GM in any sport makes all the right moves.  No team is going to win it all every year.  The Wings have stayed competitive for over two decades.  Some of the decisions the Wings brass make aren't necessarily ones that I'd make, but I'm a fan, not a lifetime hockey professional.  I don't think I'd really trust his opinion when it came to doing my job.

I recall the rather ironic furor seen on these forums when Holland decided to keep Howard in 2009 rather than re-signing Conklin.

#43 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yzerman knows what he must do this offseason to be sure.  Get a bona-fide starter in net.  Garon isn't.  He's a serviceable backup.  Lindback isn't, at least not yet.  Desjardins isn't, he's still in the AHL.

....Think he might try to poach Jimmy?  Because Howard + Tampa = Playoffs.

He could try for Nabokov to solidify the position for a year or two. 

Or even Tim Thomas.  Both are UFA this year

Backstrom's up in Minnesota....

2nd thing to do would be get some shut down defencemen.  Think we could trade him Huskins?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Sometimes a "gut feeling" is nothing more than indigestion. 

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Mick said last night that Yzerman isn't enjoying being a GM. Said he doesn't like the firing and callong up and sensing down players. Wonder of it was an overstatement or if Yzerman might want out in a few years?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Stevie did not do hard-ass well as a player.

When he did do it, I got the impression it was because he was so frustrated he finally lashed out.

As a GM he needs to be in Hard-ass mode all of the time, I just don't think that is in his character.

He needs time as an assistant to learn what the job will need from him, I don't like the idea of rookie GMs who did not cut their teeth as an asst with another team.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#47 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Sad... Murph was a goof, but he was our goof.  We make fun of his broadcasts a lot, but not because they're bad.  He's just goofy, and you kind of knew he was just being himself in front of the camera.  He also enjoyed what he was doing, and was enthusiastic.

One last "Wooo the fries!!!!"  :hehe:

#48 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sad... Murph was a goof, but he was our goof.  We make fun of his broadcasts a lot, but not because they're bad.  He's just goofy, and you kind of knew he was just being himself in front of the camera.  He also enjoyed what he was doing, and was enthusiastic.

One last "Wooo the fries!!!!"  :hehe:

Me thinks you got lost in the wrong thread lol