• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Perron's ridiculous dive.

Rate this topic

I have a better idea, state in the rule that a dive automatically negates the penalty on the other team.

Exactly...the only way you are going to limit the amount of diving in the league is to ONLY call the dive and not the other guy. Odds are if the player had to dive, then the other infraction wasn't really enough of a infraction anyhow....

Problem is, they won't do this because the certain players wouldn't be able to play in this league anymore because they would be in the box all the time....ahem....Crosby...ahem....

I find it hilarious how the St. Louis broadcast wouldn't comment more on or even SHOW the rest of Perron's dive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perron is a sniveling little ***** as it is...

Exactly. It's hilarious that they stopped the replay before you could see he wasn't really tripped and just took a flying leap.

I also agree that in clear cases like that even if it was a legit penalty, the diving should negate that call. Just call the dive.

I don't really worry about hitting being taken out of the game, the league and player will adapt. But I do worry about crap like this becoming acceptable.

Guest Crymson

The NBA began to review flops this season, with the aim of levying fines and suspensions to particularly egregious offenders. I wish the NHL would do so as well, but it's probably too much of a common-sense move for Bettman to go anywhere near it.

I have a better idea, state in the rule that a dive automatically negates the penalty on the other team.

Also a good idea, but often it's hard for referees to clearly read a dive.

Works in theory, but if there's a legitimate hook/trip and an embellishment on top of it, I can see why both should be called. In cases like this, though, I feel it's clearly on Perron. When it's this blatant, I think only one should be called. It's embarrassing.

The NBA began to review flops this season, with the aim of levying fines and suspensions to particularly egregious offenders. I wish the NHL would do so as well, but it's probably too much of a common-sense move for Bettman to go anywhere near it.

Also a good idea, but often it's hard for referees to clearly read a dive.

Agreed.

I think that's why the only way is to do it by video review. Some dives will still be borderline but there's a lot you could tell were complete dives using replay. Fine those players and suspend them like the NBA.

Yep video review and harsh penalties.

There will be some calls that are bad, and weren't dives. But the only way to get them out of the game is to make the risk not worth the reward. And right now the reward of getting a powerplay far outweighs the small chance of getting caught diving. It's on the NHL to enforce the rules, the players will do whatever it takes to win.

I agree with those that believe calling the dive only would deter it.

There's literally been no discussion by the league on embellishment and blatant diving.

Perron should be suspended or fined.

Not true, Brian Burke has called out the league on this type of stuff for a long time. Going so far as to compare it to European soccer. Of course, it's Brian Burke, so he's obviously wrong.

Speaking of, the Maple Leafs team that Burke put together in spite of a zillion jeers is playing pretty decent hockey eh?

I find it hilarious how the St. Louis broadcast wouldn't comment more on or even SHOW the rest of Perron's dive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perron is a sniveling little ***** as it is...

I know right, I was hoping to get the edmonton feed on this, so I don't have to hear those idiots trying to justify it, and I can watcch the full replay... but I will just go on GCL and watch it lol

The reason I think any dive needs to eliminate the original call is that even if there is a legit hold/trip/hook/slash, allowing diving to be a 1 for 1 exchange encourages diving on some level. Because you win some you lose some, but it is still a 4 v 4.

If any embellishment removes the original penalty coaches will get involved in stopping this.

If it is just a fine or a matching penalty the team does not suffer in most circumstances, if the call cannot be made without a player looking like they have been shot by a sniper than that is a deficiency on the refs part and that is another can of worms that needs to be addressed.

If coaches start losing potential PPs or having 4 v 4 turn into a PK they will start policing their own team as well as the league/refs.