Home Games / Away Games

This is the second of four Away games

Detroit v. Anaheim

All-time, Overall v. Anaheim
74G: 47W-18L-7T-0RT-2OTL
All-time, Away v. Anaheim
37G: 17W-14L-4T-0RT-2OTL
Season Record v. Anaheim
This is the last of three games v. Anaheim this season, with the Club's record in the previous two games:
1W-1L
This is the last of two away games v. Anaheim this season, with the Club's record in the previous game:
1W

Record on this Day

March 24

This is the 29th regular-season game played on this day, with the Club’s record in the previous 28 games:

13W-12L-2T-0OTL-1SOL

This is the 1st game played v. Anaheim on this day

LGW.

Tonight's Officials

Referees Gord Dwyer (19), Kevin Pollock (33) Linesmen Shane Heyer (55), Bryan Pancich (94)

What finishes up today doesn't happen very often: for only the fifth time in Club history, consecutive Away games (not back-to-back) are played against the same team.

LGW! Gonna be a chippy game and the Ducks will be looking for some redemption. Don't let 'em have it, boys!

If Jimmah's getting the start tonight, does that mean monster's in net tomorrow in Phx? I'll be bummed if that's the case...really don't want to be rinkside for another epic monster meltdown.

Anybody care to explain why bobby ryan wasnt suspended for instigating a fight with under 5 min to play in the last one?

Top line player against the Wings. Malkin exemption. ;).

Edited by TheXym

Anybody care to explain why bobby ryan wasnt suspended for instigating a fight with under 5 min to play in the last one?

Maybe that is something we should as the ref, Kerry Fraser on NHL.com....was it an official instigating penalty?

edit: No, they gave him a cross checking penalty, not an instigator. That is exactly what happened to Malkin, except at first he was given the instigator, then "The League" changed it to a roughing penalty and said "We need out stars playing on our biggest stage..."

So now I just assume you would never see an instigator penalty in the last 5 of a game unless it's on Tootoo or someone of his nature...of course that is what the ruling was made for, to stop fights like the one that happened with Ryan....staged fights, message fights...etc....but the rule is only used when it involves a goon.

Edited by LeftWinger

Maybe that is something we should as the ref, Kerry Fraser on NHL.com....was it an official instigating penalty?

Good idea. That is a darn good column. Fraser's book was also a darn good read. I think if the question was chosen for the column we'd get some good info.

They knew back in 09 that without Malkin the Wings would have gone up 3 games to 0 and most likely won the Cup again. They had to change the penalty to a roughing, so they wouldn't have to suspend him....fast forward to today, same thing, Ducks are not as good without Ryan and I am sure the refs have been told, unless it's a "goon" type player, do not assess a instigator...cross check or not, Ryan chased Smith all over the ice asking him to fight, he ignored the play and started the fight with Smith, if that is not an instigator then what is? Imagine if someone like Probert did that? He'd get 2:00 for cross-checking, 2:00 for instigating, 5:00 for fighting and a 10:00 misconduct...PLUS be suspended for the next game...

I think the better question to Fraser would be for him to review the video and ask why Ryan wasn't given the instigator penalty...because that is exactly what he did. Instigate a fight.

Problem is now, if Babcock decides to dress Tootoo, everytime he steps on the ice and hits someone, he'll get a roughing call because the refs will just black list him as being put into the lineup to avenge the Ducks meltdown from the game before....I hate Gary and the NHL Brass...this league needs to be run by NHL people, not lawyers....

Edited by LeftWinger

That phrasing would have a better chance of getting picked imho. I do think that after the Malkin incident to try to save face they did what you surmise.

Regarding tonight, I hope Tootoo plays. Though the last game may have been a turning point for the team. I'm grateful to those who were posting in the GDT so I could follow along. This one should be intense. Edit: sadly, you probably are right about Tootoo being blacklisted the moment he steps on the ice.

Edited by TheXym

I dislike playing the same team twice in a row. I have no stats but the games always seem to be split 1-1, so now with the Wings winning the first one I have little hope for tonight. Hope to be proven wrong as it would be awesome to beat these guys again.

Is that useless plug Jordin Tootoo gonna be scratched again tonight? I sure hope so. Especially against a soft team like Anaheim.

Your sarcasm would be more effective if the Wings hadn't just beat the Ducks 5-1 in which Ericsson, Lashoff and Smith got in fights. :D

Admittedly I'm no Tootoo fan though. He brings energy but is overpaid and a defensive liability. And his staged fights aren't worth a whole lot to me.