• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Iginla may/may not have added Detroit to his trade list

Rate this topic

A 35 year old power forward? Calgary's going to want to cash in big because he's their franchise, but you don't see very many power forwards lasting this long and being effective and its not like we're one piece away from a championship here. I think we need scoring, but I can't even imagine giving Calgary that much for a guy that will probably be a just a rental and won't be nearly as effective as he was in the past. Let some other franchise throw away their future for a rental.

If our future is dependent on a couple prospects and a first round pick, we don't have much of a future sorry. Fact is Iginla is effective at this moment, and would be our teams best winger. His shot isn't going anywhere, his game sense isn't going anywhere. This is a hall of fame player.

The deal to me would have to be either Jurco(a more unsure prospect) and a first, or Nyquist/Tatar(more sure prospects) and a second/third. With some added depth like White etc.

I wouldn't give up a sure thing, I'm not going to to touch a first round pick if Nyquist/Tatar are in the deal. I believe we have enough prospect depth that we can afford to set Datsyuk up with a hall of fame winger. Especially with our cap situation.

imagine having a real true power forward in his prime and not a 35 yr old rental

This 35 year old rental is averaging .70 PPG, he would be our best forward not named Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Man he must be way past his prime.

Edited by Carman

I think people need to stop looking at Iginla for a rental. We rarely acquire guys as just a rental and anybody trading for Iginla wont be considering him a rental. If Detroit trades for him it will be because we are resigning him and most likely letting fippula walk. I know people want to trade Filppula for something but he will be important to us in a playoff run.

I know people say they want Detroit to sell but we just don't do that. We have a small window left with Datsyuk in his prime and then we lose one of the best players in the game. Yes, we may not be named a TOP contender but this weekend we showed we can beat the number 2 team in the West, we have played fine against both Minny and Vancouver and our games against Chicago were all close ones that a player like Iginla could really help us win. At some point you have to sell a little bit of your future to play for the now. I have seen people on here asking for a Power forward, asking for a legit winger for Datsyuk but nobody wants to pay for it. We are not just going to mind a Milan Lucic hanging around out back of the Joe with a pair of skates over his shoulder.

The price is high on iginla but once again we have people saying they don't want to sell future parts which aren't even sure about but we are sure that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen only have a short window of opportunity left.

I say we give it a shot because I do not see us trading Filppula unless it was in a package for an upgrade.

EDIT: With all of that being said... I still want to know the price on Clowe...

imagine having a real true power forward in his prime and not a 35 yr old rental

Imagine the price tag...

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Guest Johnz96

I think people need to stop looking at Iginla for a rental. We rarely acquire guys as just a rental and anybody trading for Iginla wont be considering him a rental. If Detroit trades for him it will be because we are resigning him and most likely letting fippula walk. I know people want to trade Filppula for something but he will be important to us in a playoff run.

I know people say they want Detroit to sell but we just don't do that. We have a small window left with Datsyuk in his prime and then we lose one of the best players in the game. Yes, we may not be named a TOP contender but this weekend we showed we can beat the number 2 team in the West, we have played fine against both Minny and Vancouver and our games against Chicago were all close ones that a player like Iginla could really help us win. At some point you have to sell a little bit of your future to play for the now. I have seen people on here asking for a Power forward, asking for a legit winger for Datsyuk but nobody wants to pay for it. We are not just going to mind a Milan Lucic hanging around out back of the Joe with a pair of skates over his shoulder.

The price is high on iginla but once again we have people saying they don't want to sell future parts which aren't even sure about but we are sure that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen only have a short window of opportunity left.

I say we give it a shot because I do not see us trading Filppula unless it was in a package for an upgrade.

EDIT: With all of that being said... I still want to know the price on Clowe...

Imagine the price tag...

Stewart could have been had a lot cheaper before the season started

Stewart could have been had a lot cheaper before the season started

That is true, but that window closed really quick when he returned to playing decent. It would have been a gamble trade at best and I'm assuming the asking price was still too high or somebody would have bit. One would have to assume St. Louis would have faith he would bounce back and not just trade him for peanuts. Thats one of those situations where he is playing off his game but his price is still high because you know the talent is there.

Let's not forget that Babs coached him in 2010 for the Olympics and he played very well (of course that had to do with playing with Crosby), so he's familiar with our system somewhat. Him playing on a line with Datsyuk would be magic, plus he's got a ton of leadership experience and class. To top it off he is cup hungry.

We could keep a prospect that might be good 7 years from now, and hope that the rest of the team is good then and our competition is bit and maybe we can win a Cup then.

Or we can get someone who is good now, adds something to our team we lack, and could make us a more serious threat NOW.

Will someone like Nyqyust ever be as good as Iginla? If yes, keep him. If no, you consider a deal like that.

Guest Johnz96

That is true, but that window closed really quick when he returned to playing decent. It would have been a gamble trade at best and I'm assuming the asking price was still too high or somebody would have bit. One would have to assume St. Louis would have faith he would bounce back and not just trade him for peanuts. Thats one of those situations where he is playing off his game but his price is still high because you know the talent is there.

He would have been a steal before the season started, he is still someone I would pursue. His value is only going to continue to increase

He would have been a steal before the season started, he is still someone I would pursue. His value is only going to continue to increase

Yes, but who knows what his price was??? I certainly don't. Im just going to assume St. Louis wasn't going to let him go for peanuts because of a bad year. I still think his price would have been high for what his previous performance was because he is an all around player.

Guest Johnz96

We could keep a prospect that might be good 7 years from now, and hope that the rest of the team is good then and our competition is bit and maybe we can win a Cup then.

Or we can get someone who is good now, adds something to our team we lack, and could make us a more serious threat NOW.

Will someone like Nyqyust ever be as good as Iginla? If yes, keep him. If no, you consider a deal like that.

It's doubtful he will ever be as good as Iginla was. Iginla is a future HoFer. He may never be as good as Iginla is now, but he is someone who will be a good player for many years to come.

If our future is dependent on a couple prospects and a first round pick, we don't have much of a future sorry. Fact is Iginla is effective at this moment, and would be our teams best winger. His shot isn't going anywhere, his game sense isn't going anywhere. This is a hall of fame player.

If we trade players that could be the next guys to carry this team after Datsyuk and Zetterberg leave for a 35 year old player, rental or not, we don't have much of a future. Like I said before, we're not one player away from a Cup here. How much of an impact is Iginla going to have in Detroit while the team is in this transition phase? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him in Detroit, but his best years are behind him. Power forwards play a more physical kind of hockey, he won't last into his 40's like Lidstrom.

Renaud Lavoie from TSN insists DET is not on Jaromes trade list.

From my blog: Penguins still in the running for Jarome Iginla. Same 4 teams: Chi, LA, Bos and Pitt. Detroit not on Jarome list.

Shouldnt it be clear if he is or isnt?

Guest Playmaker

Everything at this point is random speculation. Fans and media are using their imaginations to think, hm what random fact can I find to link Iginla wanting to come to Detroit or to this team or that team. Same with DeKeyser. They know what they're thinking, we don't. We'll find out soon enough.

Guest Johnz96

Trust me - I'd love to see Iginla in a Red Wings jersey - just that it's gonna cost us alot in return, and as others have mentioned - he's not that "missing piece" that'll make us a Cup favorite, and chances are he'll return to Calgary this summer.

I think he is exactly that 'piece'.

A 35 year old power forward? Calgary's going to want to cash in big because he's their franchise, but you don't see very many power forwards lasting this long and being effective and its not like we're one piece away from a championship here. I think we need scoring, but I can't even imagine giving Calgary that much for a guy that will probably be a just a rental and won't be nearly as effective as he was in the past. Let some other franchise throw away their future for a rental.

Shanahan potted 40 at 37.

Guest Johnz96

Shanahan potted 40 at 37.

He also scored 29 goals in 67 games (a 36 goal pace over 82 games) and 62 points (almost a point per game) for the Rangers as a 38 yr. old

It's doubtful he will ever be as good as Iginla was. Iginla is a future HoFer. He may never be as good as Iginla is now, but he is someone who will be a good player for many years to come.

So you would rather have a solid player for years to come than have a player who can score 30 on mediocre to crappy teams? Iginla may be "old" but he's got a few 30 goal years left. What's more is the style of game he plays: the Wings don't have that dimension. Solid players are great, you need guys like Cleary, Abdelkader, Helm, etc. But (with the exception of Helm) there are way more of them than Iginla's. Your opinion and defense of Nyquist over Iginla is fine, I'm not saying that, but in my mind it's absolutely worth it to get rid of a 3/2nd line tweener who will be solid for years if it gets us 2 or 3 years of dangerous offense. Like people have said, he could replace Filpulla at Flip's desired 5 million and be a much stronger addition than Flip. I think sometimes we get so caught up on long-term stability that we forget stability can sometimes only make you mediocre. We all want to be good for a decade, but if we're constantly hoping that we'll be good "in the future" we never will be. Nyquist will be good, but right now I don't think he'll ever be a franchise-type player. So he's expendable in the right circumstances.

If we trade players that could be the next guys to carry this team after Datsyuk and Zetterberg leave for a 35 year old player, rental or not, we don't have much of a future. Like I said before, we're not one player away from a Cup here. How much of an impact is Iginla going to have in Detroit while the team is in this transition phase? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him in Detroit, but his best years are behind him. Power forwards play a more physical kind of hockey, he won't last into his 40's like Lidstrom.

Again, I like Nyquist and he will be good for us. But we need to win now because there are too many variables that could keep us from winning Cups in the future, talented prospects or not. All we need is 2 or 3 years. Iginla could shift from scoring threat to Bertuzzi-like player if he declines so fast. Teams need those, too. You don't get anywhere with pure youth.

Guest Johnz96

So you would rather have a solid player for years to come than have a player who can score 30 on mediocre to crappy teams? Iginla may be "old" but he's got a few 30 goal years left. What's more is the style of game he plays: the Wings don't have that dimension. Solid players are great, you need guys like Cleary, Abdelkader, Helm, etc. But (with the exception of Helm) there are way more of them than Iginla's. Your opinion and defense of Nyquist over Iginla is fine, I'm not saying that, but in my mind it's absolutely worth it to get rid of a 3/2nd line tweener who will be solid for years if it gets us 2 or 3 years of dangerous offense. Like people have said, he could replace Filpulla at Flip's desired 5 million and be a much stronger addition than Flip. I think sometimes we get so caught up on long-term stability that we forget stability can sometimes only make you mediocre. We all want to be good for a decade, but if we're constantly hoping that we'll be good "in the future" we never will be. Nyquist will be good, but right now I don't think he'll ever be a franchise-type player. So he's expendable in the right circumstances.

Again, I like Nyquist and he will be good for us. But we need to win now because there are too many variables that could keep us from winning Cups in the future, talented prospects or not. All we need is 2 or 3 years. Iginla could shift from scoring threat to Bertuzzi-like player if he declines so fast. Teams need those, too. You don't get anywhere with pure youth.

Actually I'm all for getting Iginla, he is exactly what we need to be a top Cup contender. Iginla is definitely better than Nyquist NOW and more importantly he is someone who brings some size strength and toughness and can play in the top 6' something we don't have, Nyquist is a small finesse forward, something we have an abundance of already on the team and the farm

Edited by Johnz96

We really need a player like Iginla... he's tough and can score. Just imagining him playing with Datsyuk is amazing! If Abdelkader can score a hat trick against a really good Ducks team, imagine what Iginla could do.

Who do we have that plays with a bit of an edge and has some talent to boot?

Cleary has been in decline. Bert can't stay healthy. Sammy is not the guy. Franzen has been horrible this year.

You have guys like Miller, Abs & Cleary filling key spots on scoring lines... that is crazy with some of the talented players we have to distribute the puck. Z, Pavs & Flip are decent centers just begging for a few talented wingers.

Dump a few picks and a prospect for the opportunity to see Iggy play with Dats...

Guest Johnz96

I wish it were that easy.

They're actually asking for a couple of prospects and a pick

Guest Johnz96

Anything in particular for prospects?

I'm guessing a 1st rounder.

Seems alot for a few months rental.

They won't get 2 top prospects and 1st rounder for a 35 yr old rental no matter how good he is/was

So here's the real question then... what would people be willing to give up to see a real scoring winger play alongside Pavel?

Edited by scotzman