• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Iginla may/may not have added Detroit to his trade list

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

:lol:

That's just it...From what I recall Flames GM Feaster wants 2 prospects (probably whoever he wants), and a 1st round draft pick for the 2 to 3 months of "service" Iggy would provide.

Apparently Iginla wants to work out a 3-4 yr deal with the team he is traded to before accepting the trade

Apparently Iginla wants to work out a 3-4 yr deal with the team he is traded to before accepting the trade

I would take Iginla on a 3-4 year contract, starting with 5 or 5.5 mill and going down from there to lower his cap hit for his "inevitable" decline. That's not a terrible contract.

I'm surprised more people aren't on board with the idea of trying to land Iginla. I'm not going to be heartbroken if he doesn't arrive as I highly doubt it will happen, but it's just silly to believe he wouldn't still be an impact player even at his age for 2-3 more years. The Wings could use a real power-forward as well. Maybe Franzen could learn a thing or two from him, or at least become embarrassed enough to start trying a little harder again to live up to his now-irrelevant nickname. But again, the likelihood of him landing here is very small. I don't think it would have to do with us being strong suitors so much as willing suitors, if the other teams undoubtedly ahead of us aren't willing to pay the price. Still, unlikely at best.

Guys, we should probably just close this dang thread. Iggy doesn't have any interest into coming to Detroit. It was rumored that we were apart of his list, but it's been more than reported now that Detroit certainly isn't in his list.

We are "apart" of his list. What we aren't is "a part" of his list.

Guys, we should probably just close this dang thread. Iggy doesn't have any interest into coming to Detroit. It was rumored that we were apart of his list, but it's been more than reported now that Detroit certainly isn't in his list.

Really?

That's news to me...I was under the impression that he, and his family are very happy in Calgary, and would return there for the start of the 2013/2014 season.

If that were the case he would never allow to be traded anyway. whats he gonna do, goto a team and maybe win a cup, then just walk back in the door and not expect any sort of animosity?

Well - yes...

I think the vast majority of NHL'ers are mature enough to accept the fact that their career is indeed a "business", and in this particular "business" players are moved from 1 franchise to another...

Since he's a UFA after this season there's absolutely no reason why he couldn't return to Calgary, and I'm certain the owners/players/fans would welcome him back with open arms.

Iginla is one of the best players to ever wear the flamed C on their chest, so I am sure they would welcome him back. Anyway, Wings aren't on his list so maybe time to close this thread now?

Guest Johnz96

Really?

That's news to me...I was under the impression that he, and his family are very happy in Calgary, and would return there for the start of the 2013/2014 season.

When I called him a rental someone else pointed this out with a link earlier in the thread.

Guest Johnz96

When I called him a rental someone else pointed this out with a link earlier in the thread.

Actually it was Flashy G and there wasn't a link

Well - yes...

I think the vast majority of NHL'ers are mature enough to accept the fact that their career is indeed a "business", and in this particular "business" players are moved from 1 franchise to another...

Since he's a UFA after this season there's absolutely no reason why he couldn't return to Calgary, and I'm certain the owners/players/fans would welcome him back with open arms.

I dont see how that could ever work.

If that were the case he would never allow to be traded anyway. whats he gonna do, goto a team and maybe win a cup, then just walk back in the door and not expect any sort of animosity?

It's not like he's demanding a trade. Trading him at this point is a win/win. He gets to try and win a cup, and the Flames get a prospect and a pick to go without his services for a few months. Then he simply goes home, with (hopefully for him) a Stanley Cup and a better team overall.

It's not like he's demanding a trade. Trading him at this point is a win/win. He gets to try and win a cup, and the Flames get a prospect and a pick to go without his services for a few months. Then he simply goes home, with (hopefully for him) a Stanley Cup and a better team overall.

This is how I feel about our Filppula situation, we have him as part of a trade then sign him as a free agent in the summer...as close as we can come to having our cake and eating it too.

This is how I feel about our Filppula situation, we have him as part of a trade then sign him as a free agent in the summer...as close as we can come to having our cake and eating it too.

Or we keep a cheap good player for a playoff run and don't waste one of the last years of datsyuk.

Has that ever even happened before? And if this is the assumed outcome of all of this, why is CGY expecting to get some huge payment in return? No GM would ever do that.

Or we keep a cheap good player for a playoff run and don't waste one of the last years of datsyuk.

And then lose him in the offseason when he asks for 5 million dollars a season to be a inconsistent, injury prone, soft player. Flip has a lot in common with Staal, their offensive upside, and their defensive ability are pretty much equal, and Staal got 6 million. If you don't think Flip's and his agent aren't going to ask for the moon and the stars, you're kidding yourself. Trade him now in this sellers market, get a pick and a prospect as a cheap, as a offensively talented defensive forward.

Well this is the first time Ive heard he is expected to return to CGY for next season after reading several articles over the past week or two, so I dont know where you got that from. It just seems so dirty for him to leave for a couple months only to come back. How would teammates feel, or even fans for that matter.

Taking his 4 cups out of this situation, how would you feel if the wings traded Lids (and he agreed) at the deadline then we brought him back. Seems like it would completely tarnish his reputation in Detroit.

Theres no way hes been the first person to be in this situation, yet nobody has ever been traded only to return the next year as UFA. Let alone to his caliber and significance to the team. Just doesnt make sense when you introduce the human emotion element.

Has that ever even happened before? And if this is the assumed outcome of all of this, why is CGY expecting to get some huge payment in return? No GM would ever do that.

Yeah a few years back...but not really to a "playoff" team. St. Louis dealt Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta at the deadline then then that following offseason he signed right back with the Blues

Edited by Hockey13Playa

Yeah a few years back...but not really to a "playoff" team. St. Louis dealt Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta at the deadline then then that following offseason he signed right back with the Blues

Correct. Sort of. He was traded from Atlanta back to St Louis for a 4th rounder.

Guest Crymson

Correct. Sort of. He was traded from Atlanta back to St Louis for a 4th rounder.

His rights were traded.

Feaster is expecting that huge payment because he is a terrible GM.

There's a difference. Iginla is near the end of his career, has boatloads of money, and has been settled in Calgary for a long time. Filppula's situation isn't very comparable.

Ugh, this is getting annoying. The idea that Datsyuk will return to Russia in 2014 is purely speculative. I don't know why so many people are choosing to take it as fact.

Ugh, this is getting annoying. The idea that Datsyuk will return to Russia in 2014 is purely speculative. I don't know why so many people are choosing to take it as fact.

I might be missing something, but it seems to me he's just stating the obvious: that Datsyuk's days are, in fact, numbered. That has nothing to do with Russia or whatever. It's his age.

Ideally, he plays here into his 40s and continues to tear s*** up even then, a la Selanne. But, well....

Yea sounds like those rumors in 2000 that Lidstrom was going back to Sweden because he wanted his boys to go to school in Sweden instead of America. :hehe:

Din758 take a look at Grimey's post...Pretty much sums it all up.

Dude, +1 for the Simpsons reference

Guest Crymson

Dude, +1 for the Simpsons reference

What's this? "Extremely High Voltage"? Well, I don't need safety gloves, because I'm Homer Simp--

Because the idea that someone would go to play hockey where their family lives is massively unprecedented in the last couple years. Its not like 2 Wings free agents didn't return with family being at least part of the reason. And its really not like the KHL would pay him a lot more than he would make in the NHL for doing it either. /sarcasm

Last offseason Stuart and Lidstrom both departed the Wings, naming family as at least part of the reason for their departures. Say what you will, but Lidstrom wasn't like Yzerman, playing until he could no longer play, he could have played more seasons, even if he may have started declining, at a high level. Pavel's daughter is in Russia right now, she is young, and as it has been pointed out, he lost his parents young. Most people in this situation would want to be near their child. Add to this the fact the KHL will pay him a salary the Wings (or any other team for that matter) could never match, and you have a lot of people taking the short, and logical leap that Datsyuk's days in Detroit maybe shorter than we want them to be.

As for Iginla, too old, too expensive, and too disinterested in Detroit. Not gunna happen.