• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

#181 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yeah a few years back...but not really to a "playoff" team. St. Louis dealt Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta at the deadline then then that following offseason he signed right back with the Blues

Correct. Sort of. He was traded from Atlanta back to St Louis for a 4th rounder.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#182 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Correct. Sort of. He was traded from Atlanta back to St Louis for a 4th rounder.

His rights were traded.

Has that ever even happened before? And if this is the assumed outcome of all of this, why is CGY expecting to get some huge payment in return? No GM would ever do that.

Feaster is expecting that huge payment because he is a terrible GM.

This is how I feel about our Filppula situation, we have him as part of a trade then sign him as a free agent in the summer...as close as we can come to having our cake and eating it too.

There's a difference. Iginla is near the end of his career, has boatloads of money, and has been settled in Calgary for a long time. Filppula's situation isn't very comparable.

Or we keep a cheap good player for a playoff run and don't waste one of the last years of datsyuk.

Ugh, this is getting annoying. The idea that Datsyuk will return to Russia in 2014 is purely speculative. I don't know why so many people are choosing to take it as fact.

#183 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Ugh, this is getting annoying. The idea that Datsyuk will return to Russia in 2014 is purely speculative. I don't know why so many people are choosing to take it as fact.

I might be missing something, but it seems to me he's just stating the obvious: that Datsyuk's days are, in fact, numbered. That has nothing to do with Russia or whatever. It's his age.

Ideally, he plays here into his 40s and continues to tear s*** up even then, a la Selanne. But, well....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#184 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yea sounds like those rumors in 2000 that Lidstrom was going back to Sweden because he wanted his boys to go to school in Sweden instead of America. :hehe:

Din758 take a look at Grimey's post...Pretty much sums it all up.

Dude, +1 for the Simpsons reference

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#185 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Dude, +1 for the Simpsons reference

What's this? "Extremely High Voltage"? Well, I don't need safety gloves, because I'm Homer Simp--

#186 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Because the idea that someone would go to play hockey where their family lives is massively unprecedented in the last couple years. Its not like 2 Wings free agents didn't return with family being at least part of the reason. And its really not like the KHL would pay him a lot more than he would make in the NHL for doing it either. /sarcasm

Last offseason Stuart and Lidstrom both departed the Wings, naming family as at least part of the reason for their departures. Say what you will, but Lidstrom wasn't like Yzerman, playing until he could no longer play, he could have played more seasons, even if he may have started declining, at a high level. Pavel's daughter is in Russia right now, she is young, and as it has been pointed out, he lost his parents young. Most people in this situation would want to be near their child. Add to this the fact the KHL will pay him a salary the Wings (or any other team for that matter) could never match, and you have a lot of people taking the short, and logical leap that Datsyuk's days in Detroit maybe shorter than we want them to be. 

As for Iginla, too old, too expensive, and too disinterested in Detroit. Not gunna happen.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#187 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Even though we are not on the reported list of teams he is willing to go to, I would offer them Paterson, Frk/Sheahan and a 1st (it's what they are asking for) and make a run for the Cup. I think he would warm up to the idea of playing with Pav and Z

#188 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Because the idea that someone would go to play hockey where their family lives is massively unprecedented in the last couple years. Its not like 2 Wings free agents didn't return with family being at least part of the reason. And its really not like the KHL would pay him a lot more than he would make in the NHL for doing it either. /sarcasm

For every NHL player who does it, there are droves who don't, so don't act as if it's the rule rather than the exception, and, accordingly, don't act like it's any rock-solid evidence in support of your claim. 

Last offseason Stuart and Lidstrom both departed the Wings, naming family as at least part of the reason for their departures. Say what you will, but Lidstrom wasn't like Yzerman, playing until he could no longer play, he could have played more seasons, even if he may have started declining, at a high level. Pavel's daughter is in Russia right now, she is young, and as it has been pointed out, he lost his parents young. Most people in this situation would want to be near their child. Add to this the fact the KHL will pay him a salary the Wings (or any other team for that matter) could never match, and you have a lot of people taking the short, and logical leap that Datsyuk's days in Detroit maybe shorter than we want them to be. 

As for Iginla, too old, too expensive, and too disinterested in Detroit. Not gunna happen.

Stuart did it, yes. Lidstrom's main reason for retirement, as stipulated by the man himself, was that he wanted to walk away from the game on his own terms rather than watch it slowly walk away from him. And Datsyuk doesn't need to worry about money anymore.

But hey, have it your way; worry as much as you want.

#189 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Reports: Iginla won't dress for Flames
Wednesday, 03.27.2013 / 7:57 PM / News
NHL.com

With the trade deadline a week away, the Calgary Flames may be preparing for life without their captain.

Multiple media outlets are reporting that Jarome Iginla will not be in uniform when the Flames face theColorado Avalanche on Wednesday night.

TSN's Bob McKenzie reported via Twitter that an Iginla deal is not imminent, but rather that Flames management is protecting its captain from possible injury. Calgary will also host the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday before visiting the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.

The trade deadline is 3 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 3.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#190 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

I can't read :'(

Edited by sputman, 27 March 2013 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

#191 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

They're saying that doesn't mean a deal is imminent, but I don't buy the whole "staying healthy" thing. He's about to be moved, IMO. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#192 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Its possibly not related but apparently Boston is also sitting Khokhoclachev, and Bartkowski.

The rumor is that the deal consists of those 2 and Malcolm Subban for Iginla.

#193 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

They're saying that doesn't mean a deal is imminent, but I don't buy the whole "staying healthy" thing. He's about to be moved, IMO. 

Millbury et al. are saying he's heading to Boston.

Posted Image

#194 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

For every NHL player who does it, there are droves who don't, so don't act as if it's the rule rather than the exception, and, accordingly, don't act like it's any rock-solid evidence in support of your claim. 

Stuart did it, yes. Lidstrom's main reason for retirement, as stipulated by the man himself, was that he wanted to walk away from the game on his own terms rather than watch it slowly walk away from him. And Datsyuk doesn't need to worry about money anymore.

But hey, have it your way; worry as much as you want.

Did Richards? Did Suter? Did any huge name free agent that hit the open market? I haven't seen that many free agents who said 'Well ill play for a lot less, because who cares about money anymore!'. 

As for Lidstrom:

Per USA Today

The Wings fervently hoped Lidstrom would keep playing, but returning to his native Sweden with his wife, with whom he has four sons, long has been on Lidstrom's horizon.

Per the Free Press

Lidstrom's family was a big reason he retired.

Per Mitch Albom:

he deserves great admiration for walking away from a game when he could still be one of its top players, for leaving money on the table when the Wings would have happily paid him, for returning to his native Sweden because "we are a tight-knit family" and that's where his aging parents live, and he wants his kids to be near them and their cousins.

Shall I continue? I can. I have a lot more where these came from. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#195 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

EDIT: HockeyTown0001 already reported this up a bit.  Sorry about that.  Delete this one?

NHL.com reports Iginla is a healthy scratch against Colorado.

With the NHL Trade Deadline a week away, the Calgary Flames may be preparing for life without their captain.

The Flames announced about two hours before game time Wednesday that Jarome Iginla will not be in uniform when they play host to the Colorado Avalanche.

The team said "No further information will be provided at this time."

Iginla has been in the lineup for every one of Calgary's games since April 7, 2007, a streak of 441.

TSN's Bob McKenzie reported via Twitter that an Iginla deal is not necessarily imminent, but rather Flames management is protecting him from possible injury. Calgary will play the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday before visiting the Edmonton Oilers on Monday.

The trade deadline is 3 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 3.

Edited by Adidarw, 27 March 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#196 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Once Iginla is traded to the Bruins, it will pave way for Hudler to take his rightful place as the Flames captain for Calgary is just that good.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#197 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

The Bruins feel like the most logical fit to me, as well. Aside from the obvious facts that we've seen tonight, I just couldn't see him in a Hawks or Pens sweater.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#198 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Khokhlachev, Bartkowski, and a 1st.

(I'd quote block this but I'm on mobile)

"@dantencer: Khokhlachev: '11 2nd round, centerman, 48 pts in 29 games in Windsor last yr. Bartkowski: '08 7th round, defenseman, 20-25 pts/year in AHL."

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#199 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

To add to the Boston rumors:

Make of this what you will: Bruins scout was overheard at an NHL rink tonight saying Iginla deal is 100 percent done & he's going to Boston

#200 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Oooo look at me, I'm Jarome Iginla, I want to be on a contender, la la la la la.

Don't Toews me, bro!