Photo
- - - - -

Iginla may/may not have added Detroit to his trade list

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

I don't see what the whole age thing has to do with anything.  He's old...despite his age...Hello? Anyone notice that he is only 35? Hell, Dats is 34 and still playing like he is 30 and so would Iginla if he had a supporting cast. As long as the prospects don't include our prized ones and our 1st round pick, I am in.

(sorry Nyquist, I do not hold you as one of our prized prospects.  No offense, just business)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#42 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Jokes and sacrasm and all-around pessimism aside...it'd bef****** great having Iginla on this team, if only for one round. I mean run.

Big (by our standards), strong, fire-in-the-belly, hungry-for-his-first-and-probably-only-Cup kind of guy. He'd bring an element or two or three that we're sorely lacking.

Power play problems? Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Iginla. Sick.

I agree. He is a finisher that we need. Someone to toss a couple pucks at the net.

I still think price is too much for a rental. BUT if the wings go all in. And make a run at cup we need 2 maybe three guys. And yes iginla would be one of the guys we need.

But I still feel its too much.

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

I think Boston is most likely to get him.

Chicago has a young and successful team. Can't see them mortgaging their future.  Calgary would be dumb to trade Iginla in the division, so I don't see Vancouver getting him.

Pens?  Maybe but I doubt it.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I don't think the Wings are Jerome Iginla away from they cup. He's up there too...I'm not sure how many good seasons he has left. If we are going to throw good prospects at a player, it truly needs to be a very good defenceman. If we do get a forward I really hope he's younger

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't think the Wings are Jerome Iginla away from they cup. He's up there too...I'm not sure how many good seasons he has left. If we are going to throw good prospects at a player, it truly needs to be a very good defenceman. If we do get a forward I really hope he's younger

Nobody wants to give up good, young forwards.  

Look how much money Anaheim was willing to shell out for Getzlaf and Perry.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Well, It's just my opinion as those players are kind of unique in our system, we don't have much goaltending depth, we are kinda weak with big centers, and Sproul is about as elite of defensive prospect as you can have, it would take a hell of a player to get him. 

Not quite sure why that's "cute".

I agree with what you're saying. But you never know what trades may or may not happen. Now do I think its unlikely they're moved? Yes highly unlikely. But with the wings you're only untouchable if you're north of 30 and on the decline( no that's not sarcasm...prove me wrong).

And you don't know what the wings management thinks. Maybe they see Howard as their goalie for the next 10 years. I mean he is average or maybe below average to many here. Mzrazek very well could be a trade piece. If sprouk lands us a superstar defenseman that's say 25 why not trade him? Like I said stuff happens. Its why I don't like the word untouchable as no one is untouchable.

#47 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

I think Boston is most likely to get him.

Chicago has a young and successful team. Can't see them mortgaging their future.  Calgary would be dumb to trade Iginla in the division, so I don't see Vancouver getting him.

Pens?  Maybe but I doubt it.  

I think with the Pens getting Morrow. Boston "probably" now has the best chance at getting Iginla.

#48 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I agree with what you're saying. But you never know what trades may or may not happen. Now do I think its unlikely they're moved? Yes highly unlikely. But with the wings you're only untouchable if you're north of 30 and on the decline( no that's not sarcasm...prove me wrong).

And you don't know what the wings management thinks. Maybe they see Howard as their goalie for the next 10 years. I mean he is average or maybe below average to many here. Mzrazek very well could be a trade piece. If sprouk lands us a superstar defenseman that's say 25 why not trade him? Like I said stuff happens. Its why I don't like the word untouchable as no one is untouchable.

Yeah, the untouchable comment was just meant with this trade for Iginla, if the Wings were to go after a younger player like Yandle for example all bets are off.

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'll take him for future considerations.

#50 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Nobody wants to give up good, young forwards.  

Look how much money Anaheim was willing to shell out for Getzlaf and Perry.  

By young, I mean not over 35....if Iginla was 31-32 I'd be all about it. I just think its all downslope from here with him.

#51 1iLeft

1iLeft

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Screw Igonala - Iginaglunga - Igongajala... I want Murphy back! damn you FSD.

#52 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Because in Dipland, degraa means Swami of Hockey...I am surprised you didn't know that...

Funny, everyone wants, but no one wants to give up.  Sooner or later, with our prospects, you are going to have another Meech/Quincey situation and are going to lose one of them for nothing.  If you can sacrifice one or two now for Iginla (I don't like rentals, he needs to sign a 3 year deal) then you need to grow some (Stu) balls and take that risk...

I said I don't like rentals, if he indeed puts the Wings in a whole new gear and they make it pretty far into the playoffs, he will re-sign here.  The only way he walks is if they get embarrassed in the 1st round...

It's a situation where Datsyuk is getting close to the end, and I think we need to make an effort to put talent around him. We have assets, and with the rise of Lashoff, and Kindl, our defense situation is looking much brighter the nthe beginning of the year.

I wouldn't be against going after Iginla, he's still a good player, he's just no longer a PPG top 10 player. But he would still provide us with a consistent scoring winger, and would be an immediate upgrade to our team.

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

By young, I mean not over 35....if Iginla was 31-32 I'd be all about it. I just think its all downslope from here with him.

But you want Datsyuk to re-sign after next year, right? Just making sure I understand...BTW, he won't be "over" 35 until July...

Screw Igonala - Iginaglunga - Igongajala... I want Murphy back! damn you FSD.

Juck F*cking Pott, is that you?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#54 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, the untouchable comment was just meant with this trade for Iginla, if the Wings were to go after a younger player like Yandle for example all bets are off.

Yandle is Smith without the toughness but with almost as much rookie mistakes. 

Iginla is more of the player we need a right handed sniper who drives to the net creates space and can still back up his teammates. It's been a while since we've had some toughness in the top 6 or on the PP.
Jarome Iginla vs Cody Eakin Mar 18, 2013
Antoine Roussel vs Jarome Iginla Feb 13, 2013

#55 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Yandle is Smith without the toughness but with almost as much rookie mistakes. 

Oh yea agreed, I just couldn't think of another young player that's been in trade rumors.

#56 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

It isn't about Iginla's age, it's about Iginla's market value right now in combination with his age.  He's going to be so expensive to bring in... I have no doubt that he would produce on any team, and give them a great push in the playoff picture, but he's a 35-year old rental player.  If you're going to fork over what Calgary is demanding for him, you'd better have a great chance at winning the Stanley Cup this year.  He will hit free agency after this season.

If I was a GM, I would wait until we're in the final days of the trade deadline.  If he's still available, I would expect that Calgary's asking price would start to bend because they want to get something for him instead of seeing him walk.

#57 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Power forwards do not age well.

#58 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

It's a situation where Datsyuk is getting close to the end, and I think we need to make an effort to put talent around him. We have assets, and with the rise of Lashoff, and Kindl, our defense situation is looking much brighter the nthe beginning of the year.

I wouldn't be against going after Iginla, he's still a good player, he's just no longer a PPG top 10 player. But he would still provide us with a consistent scoring winger, and would be an immediate upgrade to our team.

He is still a consistent 30 goal scorer on a non playoff team. A change of scenery and playing with Pav and Z could rejuvenate him back to being a PPG player

#59 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

But you want Datsyuk to re-sign after next year, right? Just making sure I understand...BTW, he won't be "over" 35 until July...

Juck F*cking Pott, is that you?

Not everyone ages the same.

We have been fortunate with several guys. Usually after 30-32 people start declining. But some guys like lids and dats do it very slowly so they can still compete at a high level. But make no mistake are decking as player. Lids his last couple of years slowed down a lot. But he was just such a smart player he was still able to be in the right position and conserved his enery.

#60 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

He is still a consistent 30 goal scorer on a non playoff team. A change of scenery and playing with Pav and Z could rejuvenate him back to being a PPG player

Or he could suck.

Not everyone ages the same.

We have been fortunate with several guys. Usually after 30-32 people start declining. But some guys like lids and dats do it very slowly so they can still compete at a high level. But make no mistake are decking as player. Lids his last couple of years slowed down a lot. But he was just such a smart player he was still able to be in the right position and conserved his enery.

Lidstrom did not throw his body around every night. Neither does Datsyuk. Iginla does.