• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

You are nuts. Bouwmeester is overpaid. But the guy is solid defensively. He has huge range an great speed for his size. I really think he could be a great partner for kronwall. He can give kronwall a ton more freedom.

Boueestwr might not be a Norris candidate but he's an effective top pairing guy.

He's a second-pairing defenseman who comes with a ridiculous cap hit and will demand a large package.

I've said this ever since before he left Florida, I'd like to see what Bouwmeester can do on this team in our system.  I think he would flourish.  I mean, let's face it, Florida and Calgary are not exactly the best places to play hockey.  Two non-playoff teams that get crushed by most teams on most nights, he really didn't have talent around him in either place.  I think his skill set would really work in Detroit.

Bouwmeester is not so much better than Quincey. He is not the player he was in Florida.

Iginla is a power forward, a leader and on a quest for his first Cup. He IS exactly what we need to make us a top Cup contender.

Feaster is demanding a 1st-round pick, a top prospect, and a secondary prospect.

No thanks.

#22 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Umm bouwmeester is most certainly a first pairing defenseman. And comparing him to Quincey makes me wonder how much you watch him.

Yes he's overpaid on his current contract. But look around the league he's a top 20 defenseman, he might not live up to the offensive potential, but he's a pretty damn good shut down guy.

I really don't understand why people think bouwmeester is awful, he was over hyped out of Florida, but he's still a great skater with great range.

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Umm bouwmeester is most certainly a first pairing defenseman. And comparing him to Quincey makes me wonder how much you watch him.

Yes he's overpaid on his current contract. But look around the league he's a top 20 defenseman, he might not live up to the offensive potential, but he's a pretty damn good shut down guy.

I really don't understand why people think bouwmeester is awful, he was over hyped out of Florida, but he's still a great skater with great range.

His primary assets are his skating and durability. He does not give sufficient performance for his cost. His contract would eat up over 10% of our cap space next season.

Pass.

Edit: Bouwmeester had a -21 last season, good for #290 out of 297 defensemen. A "pretty damn good shut down down guy" would not have a -21 on a season. You can say that +/- doesn't matter, but when it comes to extremes, it most certainly does. And -21 is certainly an extreme. For the record, the next-worst notable defenseman was Phaneuf at -10.

Edited by Crymson, 25 March 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#24 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

His primary assets are his skating and durability. He does not give sufficient performance for his cost. His contract would eat up over 10% of our cap space next season.

Pass.

Edit: Bouwmeester had a -21 last season, good for #290 out of 297 defensemen. A "pretty damn good shut down down guy" would not have a -21 on a season. You can say that +/- doesn't matter, but when it comes to extremes, it most certainly does. And -21 is certainly an extreme. For the record, the next-worst notable defenseman was Phaneuf at -10.

And his team was 3rd worst offensive club, and he played the most minutes.

Somebody better call up Mark Streit and let him know he sucks too. Bad team's #1 guy is going to have a bad +/-.  It's not a new concept, Leetch was -36 one year, but he must have been terrible.

If he was as bad as you say, he wouldn't be playing 26 minutes a night, and would have received the Wade Redden treatment by now.

Edited by Carman, 26 March 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

And his team was 3rd worst offensive club, and he played the most minutes.

-21 is -21.

Somebody better call up Mark Streit and let him know he sucks too. Bad team's #1 guy is going to have a bad +/-.

Mark Streit has always been poor defensively. Unlike Bouwmeester, he puts up good offensive numbers. And he is paid more than $2.5m less per season.

If he was as bad as you say, he wouldn't be playing 26 minutes a night, and would have received the Wade Redden treatment by now.

He's neither $6.8m nor the assets that would be required to attain him.

Edited by Crymson, 26 March 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#26 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

The only trade I see is one that involves Filpula. Kris VerSteeg is the name that's floating around right now. Goes to the net, decent defensively hard on pucks... It's what ya need.

Versteeg had season-ending knee surgery two weeks ago.

Smid interests me a lot. Honestly, Yandle does, too, if the Coyotes decide they're out of it. All depends on the asking price, of course. Myself, I'd rather see the team spread trade chips around and maybe bring in a pair of defensemen and a winger as opposed to giving up a lot for 1 rental.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm sorry, but what part of "Oh hell no" needs to be explained??

Posted Image

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Versteeg had season-ending knee surgery two weeks ago.

Smid interests me a lot. Honestly, Yandle does, too, if the Coyotes decide they're out of it. All depends on the asking price, of course. Myself, I'd rather see the team spread trade chips around and maybe bring in a pair of defensemen and a winger as opposed to giving up a lot for 1 rental.

The Coyotes are currently owned by the NHL. Yandle is on a very affordable, long-term contract. I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

The only trade I see is one that involves Filpula. Kris VerSteeg is the name that's floating around right now. Goes to the net, decent defensively hard on pucks... It's what ya need.

Your source is terrible, then, because Versteeg is out for the season and faces a long recovery period.