• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Free_Candy

Most Popular NHL Teams in Sweden

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, from your friendly neighborhood Pens fan.

Maybe you guys can help me out here, I recently got in a very bizarre discussion with another Penguin fan about what NHL teams were the most popular in Sweden. He is an American expat that lives in Sweden, I just have in-laws there but visit from time to time.

He told me that after the Rangers (especially Lundqvist) -- that the Pens had the biggest following, even moreso than the Wings. I suspect he is mostly basing this on wherever he happens to be and perhaps his local experience.

But I think that sounds completely absurd. It would seem to me that the Red Wings would be the most popular team in Sweden, given that there are a lot of Swedes that have been on your team, especially Lidstrom. Everytime I ever happened to be in Sweden and they had hockey highlights on TV the Wings got a lot of coverage, understandably so. But I think he just had this "well I *LIVE* here, YOU just visit, you don't actually know" kind of attitude that got on my nerves, but whatever. I could see the Rangers having interest, but he acted like the Wings weren't even on the radar in his experience and that just didn't make any sense to me at all.

Now maybe you guys and especially some Swedes even on here that can help me out. Anyway this question is going to drive me nuts because what I've been told flies in the face of convention and looking at it doesn't make any sense. (But I can finally get back to work now that I got that out of the way.)

Thanks (tack så mycket)

I would say the Red Wings is very popular here, but these things tend to vary a lot with generations. Back in the early 90's when the Pens won two Cups and had both Lemieux and Jagr, then they were pretty popular, then when Forsberg played with Colorado, they were popular, and of course the Red Wings. I guess some teams featuring players from the area can be big locally, like Rangers/Lundquist and the southwest of Sweden.

That makes sense, thank you. He made it sound like the Wings weren't all that popular in Sweden but it always seemed to me that there still would be a following. I had spoken to a couple of Pens fans in Sweden and even they mentioned the Wings popularity so I guess that's why I was confused. The generational shifts would certainly make sense as well.

Edited by Free_Candy

I spent a couple weeks last week in Sweden last spring and had a few hockey conversations with natives there. As someone else already mentioned the Rangers are popular for Lundquist. To be honest, I didn't have a single person bring the Penguins up. That could have been uncommon as I only spoke to 5 or so people about hockey during my time there. I was surprised that no one mentioned the Canucks when I was there for the Sedin twins and coming off of their finals appearance.

My question is how can a team that has no Swedes have the largest following in Sweden?

Considering the Pens have only 3 players born outside North America, I wouldn't think they'd have a huge long term following in Europe. Maybe just some fans who started following them because of Crosby.

Guest irishock

If China had any interest in Hockey they'd be right up Pittsburgh's ass.

My question is how can a team that has no Swedes have the largest following in Sweden?

Considering the Pens have only 3 players born outside North America, I wouldn't think they'd have a huge long term following in Europe. Maybe just some fans who started following them because of Crosby.

That's why he didn't make any sense. Many teams that have exposure and success are going to get fans, but I would expect someone to particularly enjoy watching someone from their own country play on a team. We haven't had any Swedes since about 07.

But whatever. He was a dick.

That's why he didn't make any sense. Many teams that have exposure and success are going to get fans, but I would expect someone to particularly enjoy watching someone from their own country play on a team. We haven't had any Swedes since about 07.

But whatever. He was a ****.

I would think the Pens have a decent amount of fans in Russia with Malkin on the team.

But whatever. He was a ****.

Should've just knock his ass out and said "Red Wings *****" lol

Colorado had a lot of fans in late 90s and early 00s, but that's pretty much all died out.

That's what happens when you're the wings' rivals, they don't just beat you.. They banish you to the bottom of the standings and keep you there :P

Haha Jk, really tho I agree that the wings are probably one of the bigger NHL teams in Sweden along with the nucks. I could see them liking the rangers as well of course

Hello.

Where I live in Sweden (a small town) I would have to say that the wings & rangers are the most popular ones. I cant really remember ever seeing a pens fan here actually..

But I do remember that when I went to the nhl premiere Penguins vs Ottawa in Stockholm there were penguin jerseys everywhere..

seems like most popular team goes to the most relevant swed. maybe in a few years the avs will be really popular in sweden because landeskog

That is true... We grow up watching these players develop over here only to see them get shipped over to the US as soon as they get good :( That's why Colorado (forsberg), wings (lids, Z etc), toronto (sundin), nucks (sedins), rangers (lundqvist) etc got their share of swedish fans. That is also the reason why I became a red wings fan, I followed my dear players across the atlantic. Now I will probably be a fan of the wings all my life!

Also, Tre kronor has been successful over a long period of time and after every championship (depending how well they did ;p) there are fans who follow their favorite players on tre kronor to their respective nhl teams and slowly grows into being a fan of the team.