• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Semin re-signs with Carolina: 5 years, $35 million ($7M/yr)

Rate this topic

Who is also comes with a $3 million per year lower cap hit.

Rather have a guy like Franzen for $4m per instead instead of Semin, who btw. is a great talent when HE decides to be one at $7m. It is really funny, all those stupid teams who bitched about the Wings being big-spenders in the pre-CBA area are now giving out stupid contracts left and right, god I hate the new NHL.

Eventhough Carolina has been struggling big time lately, these stats should be unacceptable.

Since signing a five-year extension, Alex Semin has two goals and a minus-9 rating in 11 games. Uh-oh

^ from some guys twitter.

Eventhough Carolina has been struggling big time lately, these stats should be unacceptable.

^ from some guys twitter.

Eek! He dropped off faster than Franzen not having fun. :P

Seriously though, surprising, and yet, not very. Things were really rolling for him prior to signing for buku bucks. Nothing kills work ethic like job security.

Never miss a chance to perpetuate a rumor eh boys? Pretty sure the reason his numbers are down since then have nothing to do with him getting a new contract. Have a look at this...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/car/carolina-hurricanes

Carolina has won two of their last sixteen games, and during that time have been outscored 62-26. They're in the middle of a MASSIVE losing streak which, I hate to tell you, can't really be blamed on their (point per game) top line winger.

Edit: Four times during this losing streak he was recognized as the teams top performer, and has compiled 3 goals and 8 assists in those sixteen games. Pretty sure it's not his fault.

Edited by kipwinger

Never miss a chance to perpetuate a rumor eh boys? Pretty sure the reason his numbers are down since then have nothing to do with him getting a new contract. Have a look at this...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/car/carolina-hurricanes

Carolina has won two of their last sixteen games, and during that time have been outscored 62-26. They're in the middle of a MASSIVE losing streak which, I hate to tell you, can't really be blamed on their (point per game) top line winger.

Edit: Four times during this losing streak he was recognized as the teams top performer, and has compiled 3 goals and 8 assists in those sixteen games. Pretty sure it's not his fault.

We sure could've used those 38 points of his this year, but just think of all the money we saved!

esteef

We sure could've used those 38 points of his this year, but just think of all the money we saved!

esteef

And speaking of things we probably could have used but were too cheap to look into. This is from last night's CBJ game...

Guest The Axe

esteef

With Dan Cleary, Datsyuk can become the player we all like to see. Semin would slow him down.

With Dan Cleary, Datsyuk can become the player we all like to see. Semin would slow him down.

That's actually sort of true. With Semin, Datsyuk would have a competent winger and not be required to attempt otherworldly moves in order to get offense going. With Abby and/or Cleary he has to try being superman just to get a shot on goal. With Semin, Datsyuk's production would go up while is jaw dropping super skillz would probably be shelved a little more often.

Guest The Axe

And speaking of things we probably could have used but were too cheap to look into. This is from last night's CBJ game...

Again, not gonna spark the team.

Colo, Sammy, Bertuzzi, and Huskins. That's where you're gonna find the true ignition. You should see how much these guys cheer and root. Pure positivity. And at 7.5 mil per season, Holland should be congratulated. Dollars well spent is an understatement, obviously.

I've always like Semin, he's a quality hockey player. But I've REALLY wanted Wisniewski for a long time. I couldn't believe Detroit passed on him until I remembered that he's young, tough, and not currently working through any issues that would drive down his market value. But what I wouldn't give for a top four defenseman that can hit, fight, score, and run a powerplay? Alas, Ian White was available at the same time. And when a bargain like that comes along you can't afford not to take advantage of it.

Guest The Axe

I've always like Semin, he's a quality hockey player. But I've REALLY wanted Wisniewski for a long time. I couldn't believe Detroit passed on him until I remembered that he's young, tough, and not currently working through any issues that would drive down his market value. But what I wouldn't give for a top four defenseman that can hit, fight, score, and run a powerplay? Alas, Ian White was available at the same time. And when a bargain like that comes along you can't afford not to take advantage of it.

They call this a "no brainer" in Hollandland. No reason to pay fair market value for great players when you can overpay good and average players. The Ducks, Pens, and Hawks don't believe in this, and they like to sign, re-sign, and trade for high price tag talent. Look at where that's got them.

I get the whole don't want to pay market value, but Wiz didn't even give the Wings a glance... I don't know how you can even fault Holland for that when he couldn't even pitch an offer at the guy. Wiz was hard-headed and didn't even want to field an offer.

"I called James and his response was 'Let's go. We're going,'" his agent Bill Zito said. "His level of enthusiasm for (Columbus) was pretty high."

One team interested in "The Wiz" were the Detroit Red Wings, who are in need of a defenseman after the retirement of Brian Rafalski.

However, the Red Wings will not get a shot to sign Wisniewski, as the defenseman has signed a six-year, $33 million contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to theColumbus Dispatch.

“Honestly, I had long, long talks with James about how close we were to free agency,” Zito said. “In my mind, there’s significantly more money available to him in the free agent market.

“You know what he said, and this isn’t B.S. He said, ‘I like it there.’ He wanted to be in Columbus. He was impressed by what they showed him. It’s a fit.”

"For me, knowing Detroit's history they don't really pay the market value for a defenseman or any player,'' Wisniewski said on NHL Live. "So I didn't think that was going to be a fit for myself.

"Being in Columbus, it's three hours away. It's close enough for family to come but yet far enough to keep them away.''

The guy is money grabbing and his quote says it right there. I would rather have players that think of the team, not their wallet.

I get the whole don't want to pay market value, but Wiz didn't even give the Wings a glance... I don't know how you can even fault Holland for that when he couldn't even pitch an offer at the guy. Wiz was hard-headed and didn't even want to field an offer.

The guy is money grabbing and his quote says it right there. I would rather have players that think of the team, not their wallet.

Well you've got em: Quincey, White, Colaiacovo, Sammy. They're all very willing to take less money and provide less quality play. Also, Holland could have traded for Wiz's rights just as easily as Columbus did. James didn't even make it to the UFA market because Columbus traded for his rights, showed him they meant business, and that they were willing to offer him a competitive wage. Detroit was "interested" in him but did none of that...so of course they missed out.

Wiz never woulda came here. I recall reading an article talking about the wings screwed his uncle out of his job with the wings, or something like that.

Link? Or is that speculation? Fact is that James Wisniewski was coming off his best career season, could have gone to most any team in the league, and signed with the worst team in the NHL because they paid him competitively and went out of their way to show him they specifically wanted him by trading for his rights.

His negotiating rights were traded for a conditional seventh round pick and "future considerations". Apparently a conditional sixth round pick and future considerations was too rich for KH's blood. Never know what can happen if you get those extra couple weeks. In this case one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL was able to convince one of the hottest free agents in that year's class to come play for them. On the flip side, we have a hard time convincing anyone of any value to come play here. Maybe we should start trading for negotiating rights...

Well you've got em: Quincey, White, Colaiacovo, Sammy. They're all very willing to take less money and provide less quality play. Also, Holland could have traded for Wiz's rights just as easily as Columbus did. James didn't even make it to the UFA market because Columbus traded for his rights, showed him they meant business, and that they were willing to offer him a competitive wage. Detroit was "interested" in him but did none of that...so of course they missed out.

He could of, but that would've been a waste would it have not? Wiz was already set on not coming to Detroit, he labeled off exactly why he went to Columbus. Even in the interviews he said that the minute Columbus called he made him and his agent go meet with them. It was close to his home, and he was going to get big $$$. That's all he wanted, secure huge paycheck and close to home. His agent even said that he would've gotten more money in free agency, he just didn't care. There was no helping Wiz, the dude's mind was already made. We can sit here and complain about it non-stop similar to Hossa or we can realize that he simply doesn't like Detroit.

When you don't get free agents, you have to look at other options. Holland went with what he could get. Would you have rather him not get anyone at all? Carlo I honestly don't have problems with, as long as he can stay healthy. This season wasn't the best, but we can't see the future and maybe it seems more brighter. I know the pattern isn't looking good for him, but thing's aren't always so static. White, I think he is an alright defensemen but he has fallen deep into a hole he won't get out of. He doesn't have wheels, and he hesitates his first pass which makes the lanes close. Sammy... ugh, i'm not a hater but he's certianly frustrating this season, i'll give you that. Quincey... I don't hate his play as much as I hate his personality. He isn't the worst, but paying a 1st round pick certainly hurt. Holland wanted his baby back.

He could of, but that would've been a waste would it have not? Wiz was already set on not coming to Detroit, he labeled off exactly why he went to Columbus. Even in the interviews he said that the minute Columbus called he made him and his agent go meet with them. It was close to his home, and he was going to get big $$$. That's all he wanted, secure huge paycheck and close to home. His agent even said that he would've gotten more money in free agency, he just didn't care. There was no helping Wiz, the dude's mind was already made. We can sit here and complain about it non-stop similar to Hossa or we can realize that he simply doesn't like Detroit.

When you don't get free agents, you have to look at other options. Holland went with what he could get. Would you have rather him not get anyone at all? Carlo I honestly don't have problems with, as long as he can stay healthy. This season wasn't the best, but we can't see the future and maybe it seems more brighter. I know the pattern isn't looking good for him, but thing's aren't always so static. White, I think he is an alright defensemen but he has fallen deep into a hole he won't get out of. He doesn't have wheels, and he hesitates his first pass which makes the lanes close. Sammy... ugh, i'm not a hater but he's certianly frustrating this season, i'll give you that. Quincey... I don't hate his play as much as I hate his personality. He isn't the worst, but paying a 1st round pick certainly hurt. Holland wanted his baby back.

Contradictory? He wanted big money but didn't go to free agency where he would've been paid even more? Holland's cheapness preceded him is why Wiz didn't give him the time of day. Detroit is just as close to his home and was a much better team than the BJs at the time.

esteef

Contradictory? He wanted big money but didn't go to free agency where he would've been paid even more? Holland's cheapness preceded him is why Wiz didn't give him the time of day. Detroit is just as close to his home and was a much better team than the BJs at the time.

esteef

I thought about it before I had hit enter but it's alittle hard to read. I should've been more clearer before hitting enter. What I meant is that he knew Columbus would offer him a great paycheck and he would be close to home. He didn't need to hit free agency. He was content with the huge paycheck that Columbus paid out because it's what he was looking for. The man simply doesn't and didn't like Detroit, but he got as close as he could to Michigan with the paycheck.

I just looked through a 10 page wizzy thread on here from 2011. Couldnt find the post i was looking for. I could be mistaking him for Kesler. But I know ive read that somewhere where a hometown kid who grew up hating the wings because they screwed his family and it caused alot of struggle for them.

Guest Crymson

Bitterness abounds. Bitterness untempered by knowledge, for that matter. As others have noted in this thread, Wizniewski would never have signed with the Wings. He made this clear.

The guy is overrated anyway. He's fairly good on offense when given first-pairing minutes, but he's a sieve in his own end.

Guest Crymson

esteef

So because of one snarky comment by a player, you're now criticizing Holland's for his acuity at getting players to sign very affordable contracts. Yikes.

Edited by Crymson